US Politics: The Motorcade of Madness

Durckad

I know that this is almost assuredly a blip and polling is likely to return to the more normal 7-8 point lead that we've seen for most of the campaign.  But the polling in the past 5 days has been positively apocalyptic for Republicans.  Looking at national polls, the very best result for Trump in that time period is Biden +7, and the average is more like Biden +11. 

This was the time when I expected the polls to be tightening, to be going from Biden +7 to Biden +6, and settling to something like Biden +5.5 by election day.  Instead with less than 4 weeks left, Biden is pushing his lead to double digits, and the question is "what can Trump do to get back within 7?" 

What is this strange feeling?  Is it hope?  I thought hope had forsaken this year. 

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I voted for Anderson, too. As with many who identified as more moderate Republicans back then, it was a way station to beginning to vote for Democrats in national elections. Nantucket in Massachusetts was the county with the highest % of votes for Anderson, and I remember George Will back in 1980 commenting that the high number of votes for Anderson in New England predicted that many New England Republicans would soon be voting for Democrats for President, and he was certainly correct. 

I think with my parents it was anti-Carter animus, since they were/are liberal Democrats. I've never really asked them in detail about it, so I don't know if it was just the Iran hostage crisis (which I do know bothered my dad a lot). Possibly my mom thought Anderson was stronger on the Equal Rights Amendment than Carter, which would've made a big difference to her.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

So long as there's a mute button, the second debate is a good opportunity for Biden. It's a town hall format, which Biden excels at; let's him connect with questioners and show that world-class empathy.

And if Trump bails, let Biden have 90 minutes of free airtime.

Trump won’t agree to a mute button, and I don’t think you even want him to. Him behaving like an a**hole only helps Biden.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

According to the electproject, 6 million votes already in, with a disproportionate number of those in swing states. WI is in the swing state lead having reached 19% of the 2016 vote in already, but FL, MI, NC, GA are all between 8 and 13%. 

Submitted my ballot yesterday here in Wisconsin.   

Luckily remembered to get it done in the morning at city hall before they locked the place down and had the National Guard posted there...

Officer not charged in shooting...

42 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

What is this strange feeling?  Is it hope?  I thought hope had forsaken this year. 

Don't be silly.

Of course you're allowed to hope - how else would you fully appreciate the utter misery of winning the popular vote by 6% but losing the Electoral College by 1?

Cherish this feeling and then...kill it and bury it. You're better off without it till we see what happens. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump won’t agree to a mute button, and I don’t think you even want him to. Him behaving like an a**hole only helps Biden.

Sure. But if he's constantly being muted, and still tries to talk over Biden, it the same result, right?

That being said, skip debating him, Joe.  Just go out and do your thing.

Trump had quite the phone interview this morning with Fox Business. https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/here-are-the-five-craziest-moments-from-trumps-unhinged-fox-business-interview/

The highlights were:

• He wants Bill Barr to arrest Obama and Biden for spying on him, which was "the greatest political crime in history of our country". He also whines about Hillary not being arrested for the e-mails.
  • Kamala Harris is a Communist and monster who will overthrow Joe Biden within two months of the election.
  • He doesn't believe the polls because of all the support he gets from "boaters" and their thousands of trucks.
  • He again states (and says no one disputes) that he has done more for Blacks than anyone since Abraham Lincoln.

Isn't it amazing that we've become so used to this level of insanity?

Biden is entitled to a make-up since he didn't get to say anything in the first one.  So he should just be interviewed, alone, to answer the questions.  And then be finished with this mockery of so-called debates.

DOJ Frees Federal Prosecutors to Take Steps That Could Interfere With Elections, Weakening Long-standing Policy
In an internal announcement, the Justice Department created an exception to a decadeslong policy meant to prevent prosecutors from taking overt investigative steps that might affect the outcome of the vote.

https://www.propublica.org/article/doj-frees-federal-prosecutors-to-take-steps-that-could-interfere-with-elections-weakening-long-standing-policy

The Department of Justice has weakened its long-standing prohibition against interfering in elections, according to two department officials.

Avoiding election interference is the overarching principle of DOJ policy on voting-related crimes. In place since at least 1980, the policy generally bars prosecutors not only from making any announcement about ongoing investigations close to an election but also from taking public steps — such as an arrest or a raid — before a vote is finalized because the publicity could tip the balance of a race.

But according to an email sent Friday by an official in the Public Integrity Section in Washington, now if a U.S. attorney’s office suspects election fraud that involves postal workers or military employees, federal investigators will be allowed to take public investigative steps before the polls close, even if those actions risk affecting the outcome of the election.

The email announced “an exception to the general non-interference with elections policy.” The new exemption, the email stated, applied to instances in which “the integrity of any component of the federal government is implicated by election offenses within the scope of the policy including but not limited to misconduct by federal officials or employees administering an aspect of the voting process through the United States Postal Service, the Department of Defense or any other federal department or agency.”

Specifically citing postal workers and military employees is noteworthy, former DOJ officials said. But the exception is written so broadly that it could cover other types of investigations as well, they said.

Can anyone explain to me the logic of only shutting down parts of a city that's experiencing a COVID spike? The residents in the affected areas are just going to go to other areas that aren't shut down. 

This piecemeal logic is fucking stupid. 

5 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Can anyone explain to me the logic of only shutting down parts of a city that's experiencing a COVID spike? The residents in the affected areas are just going to go to other areas that aren't shut down. 

This piecemeal logic is fucking stupid. 

That what happened with the so-called shut-down of New Rochelle back in January-February.  The ultra orthodox continued to drive and fly to NYC and other places, such as Miami, spreading it all over.  Nobody was prevented from entering or leaving New Rochelle or the particularly quarantined hotspots.  So that's not a quarantine at all.

It wasn't until all of New York state and city were shut down did cases and deaths stop rising and begin some weeks later to flatten and then fall.  The entire medical community and even the peripherals to the medical communities lost many people then, and have lost more since due to exhaustion and depression.  As mentioned in a the covid thread, I got flu and pneumonia shots on Monday and my doctor was both outraged and depressed, nearly in tears, believing because of what is happening here again, it will be all to go through again.  Why did we bother? she asked -- not me, but herself.  I heard others in the facility discussing this as well, depressed and angry, including the administration staff (like the wonderful women who check us in and out and schedule our appointments).  Beyond that they are also deeply depressed that this entire kind of medical emergency diverts all medical attention to itself, which makes their jobs harder and more exhausting when they can see non-covid patients again.  And we are seeing surges of all kinds of conditions due to unseen / untreated conditions -- and the stress.

But by all means, let all the rest of us suffer so the worshippers, the real estate-restaurant bars and the universities can keep being crazy rich.  None of the rest of us matter compared to their wealth.

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

All Hail the ELECTORS!

....I had to look this up to make sure it was true.  If it was Trump I wouldn't be surprised but..what the fuck?  Guess this ends the debate on whether covid and/or its treatment leads to neurological symptoms - at least when it comes to Republican politicians.  Let's all pray for Lee's liberty without democracy, peace and prospefity.

This was the time when I expected the polls to be tightening, to be going from Biden +7 to Biden +6, and settling to something like Biden +5.5 by election day. 

Yup.

Archived