US Politics: The Motorcade of Madness

Durckad

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

All Hail the ELECTORS!

What the actual fuck?

Not sure whether this gives more Mao or Robespierre vibes. Either way, this is just grim.

Remember when I got scolded over the Weimar themed thread title, maybe a month ago.

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Biden needs to start referring to Trump as, "that man" or " Mr. Trump" and no longer use the honorific of "President". See if he notices, and how far under his skin that would get...

I was actually a little surprised that Biden didn't refer to him as Donald all the time, like Clinton did in her debate.  Apparently he hates it. 

In general peoples opinion on democracy - especially compared to success or prosperity - has been on a decline everywhere, including the US. Hes probably quite sane and speaking to his voters who have the Trump is my king shirts. 

Well, I just got back from voting at the Douglas County, Nebraska elections office, doing my part to try to win the second congressional district of Nebraska's one electoral vote for Biden.

I voted early in person because I wasn't going to trust the post office to get me my ballot on time because I've had two different parcels sent to me by a merchant declared "dead mail" in the last two months.

Early voting began here on Monday. I waited until Thursday because I thought lines might be longer the first day, and this morning arrived at the elections office at 10 am because I thought there might be a "before work" rush when they opened at 8 am. When I arrived there were about 12 people ahead of me in line. Everyone was doing proper social distancing and wearing masks. I was quite surprised when after only about five minutes the man ahead of me in line left, saying the wait was too long and we'd be there until 4 pm.  That was ridiculous -- he couldn't have been there more than 10 minutes before me at the most, and the total time it took me in the office was 31 minutes -- and I am someone who goes back over the ballot and carefully checks everything to make sure I did it properly before I turn it in, so a lot of people would be out of there faster than that. I sure hope that impatient man was a Trump voter. 

We vote for way too many offices in Nebraska, and there were also several ballot proposals. I voted for all Democrats -- there was one woman running for re-election to the state Public Service Commission who I really didn't want to vote for. She is also the chair of the Douglas County Democratic party and I really think her incompetence was part of why the Republicans won our congressional district in 2018. But it turns out the Public Service Commission was a partisan office, unlike many in Nebraska, and I decided I just couldn't leave my vote blank for that office and perhaps help a Republican get in, so I ended up voting for her.

I feel relieved to have that over with! 

12 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Also, Trump is blaming gold star families for him getting covid.

Remember, I said that last Thursday when the Hope Hicks positive was announced Trump called up Fox for an interview and said it was likely the police or the military personnel who gave it to her, because, you know, they are such eager supporters and you can't say no when they want to talk to you.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

said it was likely the police or the military personnel who gave it to her, because, you know, they are such eager supporters and you can't say no when they want to talk to you.

Aye, as the article notes, this isn't much different than what he said on Hannity a week ago.

32 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I was actually a little surprised that Biden didn't refer to him as Donald all the time, like Clinton did in her debate.  Apparently he hates it. 

Biden would never talk to the POTUS that way. I doubt Clinton would now, either.

FBI has arrested six men for allegedly plotting to kidnap Gov. Whitmer and put her on "trial" for "tyranny"

The FBI learned about the plot in the spring and had the group under surveillance, so it sounds like Whitmer wasn't actually in danger at any point. Still, scary stuff. Also, the reason this came to the FBI's attention in the first place (maybe they would've learned of it anyway later) was that an associate of the men came forward as a confidential informant. But it sounds like he didn't have any problem with the kidnapping idea, he just didn't like that the other six were talking about killing police officers as well.

7 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Biden would never talk to the POTUS that way. I doubt Clinton would now, either.

Calling the POTUS by his first name is less insulting than calling him a clown or telling him to shut up.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Calling the POTUS by his first name is less insulting than calling him a clown or telling him to shut up.

Yes, and that's probably especially true of younger Americans, even Trump supporters.

I remember a survey a few years ago where Americans in their 20s thought it was more respectful to call an older person they had recently met by their first name than use Ms. or Mr. with the surname. And I often have students who in term papers will say "Sigmund said X" instead of "Freud said X". Things have reversed on that from my generation. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

FBI has arrested six men for allegedly plotting to kidnap Gov. Whitmer and put her on "trial" for "tyranny"

The FBI learned about the plot in the spring and had the group under surveillance, so it sounds like Whitmer wasn't actually in danger at any point. Still, scary stuff. Also, the reason this came to the FBI's attention in the first place (maybe they would've learned of it anyway later) was that an associate of the men came forward as a confidential informant. But it sounds like he didn't have any problem with the kidnapping idea, he just didn't like that the other six were talking about killing police officers as well.

I laughed in Canadian when I read that this morning, but it didn't last long.

I mean, we had a friendly, armed, sausage maker dude drive through the gate of the official residence to try to talk with the PM. These weirdos are everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes, and that's probably especially true of younger Americans, even Trump supporters.

I remember a survey a few years ago where Americans in their 20s thought it was more respectful to call an older person they had recently met by their first name than use Ms. or Mr. with the surname. And I often have students who in term papers will say "Sigmund said X" instead of "Freud said X". Things have reversed on that from my generation. 

Blame Brazilian soccer fans?

The shock troops for shoggoth come from all sorts of places.

Their riot being shut down is not only anti-semitic but voter suppression.

"Orthodox Jewish protesters in Brooklyn neighborhood, facing new COVID restrictions, shut down traffic and torch face masks"

“The real reason, what’s going on, is that this is Trump country,” said Heshy Fried, 57, who wore a “Trump 2020” face covering Wednesday morning. “All the areas they are trying to close down ... are like 90% voting for Trump. It’s political and everybody knows it.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-protest-coronavirus-brooklyn-borough-park-20201007-tbrjcmcgmnfubcqksxjqhkzdyi-story.html

“Here in Borough Park, we don’t go by the laws of America," said one in a group of people shouting at the journalists. “We have our own laws.”

Wednesday night’s Borough Park protest started with as a Trump rally with about 50 people, but swelled to more than 500, mostly along 13th Ave. between 46th and 48th Sts.

At one point, Tischler addressed the growing crowd, shouting, "I’m going to take these children, these soldiers, these future leaders. These are my people. We’re going to create an army. We are at war with you, Mr. de Blasio. Here is my army.”

Like Tuesday night, last night they beat up a Jewish journalist, who was rescued by cops and taken, with many injuries, to the precinct house.

But as one person who was brought up and raised in one of these communities, he'd never even heard of a molecule until he left them (that's the NYT report about last night).

Hmmmm. Unlike the non-violent BLM protest marches, there were no arrests made last night or in Tuesday night's riot.

41 minutes ago, Fez said:

What the FUCK are they doing at that press conference? They're going to turn it into a fucking superspreader event. 

Archived