Who's the stupidest player in the Game of Thrones?

Alyn Oakenfist

10 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Eddard Stark by far

Yup. Great guy, lousy political player. Though Cersei is a very bad combination of shamelessness, incompetence, paranoia, cruelty and general ignorance. So she is a very bad player as well.

I don't think he's the worst, bu Stannis ineptitude shouldn't be overlooked, he almost seem to do his best to undermine his own cause in ACOK.

2 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

And why is it Cersei?

Cersei played a winning hand into getting herself imprisoned, shaved and marched through the streets naked, She toxified a key military alliance keeping her son enthroned, and activated an army of religious zealots on a purification campaign.  Also, is currently kicking out another support from her ruling coalition by trying to break a marital alliance with Dorne.  

1 hour ago, CamiloRP said:

I don't think he's the worst, bu Stannis ineptitude shouldn't be overlooked, he almost seem to do his best to undermine his own cause in ACOK.

"Any man who must say 'I am the king' is no true king". 

And people call Renly naive. Stannis expected everyone to just flock to his banners because of his incest letters. Renly at least understood the reciprocal nature of kingship and made promises and offers to his vassals for their support.

57 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I dunno, I've always felt like he's smarter then he lets on. And he also quite clearly listens to what his ma tells him. So not such a bad player

Nah. If Mace listened to what his mother told him, she wouldn't be so dismissive of his capabilities. Ollena loves her son, but still finds him quite hopeless on his own. She just lets him huff and puff and handles the actual job of running things herself, imo.

I would like to put a vote in for the Yunkai'i Council of Wise Masters, although they might come out of this better than anyone could expect, having formed the right alliances in Meereen.

King Cleon deserves a mention too. Being defeated by the Yunkai'i after declaring war on them, but expecting Daenerys to fight it for him. After the coup where he replaced the government she established for Astapor, and before he put forward his marriage proposal, rather than after he learned the result. His successors had no chance, and the Yunkai'i had mercenaries.

Is stupid really fair?  How about sneakiest?  I don't think Cersei is stupid so much as mad.  Stupidest?  All those idiots in cahoots with Little Finger.  Whatever this grain run is that he's planning is going to beggar the Vale.  That's just dumb.  Wainwoods selling their ward?  Dumb.  Anyone giving their sons up for any amount of time to hang out with LF under the auspices of protecting Lord Robert?  Terrible idea.  I hope all those boys make a great impression on Sweet Robin and he watches Little Finger fly as a result of it.  Ugh. 

12 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Eddard Stark by far

I don't think it's fair at all to call Ned stupid. Only two months passed between his arrival at King's Landing and his imprisonment, and a great part of this time he was incapacitated because of his wounded leg. And still he managed to discover the secret behind Cersei's kids, confronted the king on the ethics of murdering children, and was really close to succeed in defeating the Lannisters.

Because let's not forget that Cersei only prevailed because of sheer luck. Her mad desperate plan of asking an unreliable boy to give the king plenty of wine, hoping that this would lead to the king being gored by a boar would only work one time out of a hundred. The boar could have inflicted Robert non fatal injuries. Robert could have killed the bear anyway. Robert could not have found the boar. Robert could had drunk himself to sleep. Robert could have not been in the mood for drinking (ok, this one is a stretch)... In any case, once Robert returned to KL, it was game over for Cersei.

I don't see how Eddard can be considered stupid with everything he accomplished in KL, in a very short time, while standing to his moral principles.

8 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Sansa Stark is the dumbest player in the game.

It makes no sense to mention Sansa in this context. She is not a player, just a twelve year old girl.

12 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

I completely agree with you here. Abandoning his brother without even warning him after Jon Arryn's death, waiting until there were already three other kings to put forward his claim, abandoning the religion practiced by the immense majority of the Westerosi and burning their gods... It was one stupidty after another.

Archived