Winds of Winter: What are Your Predictions?

Nathan Stark

Very great comments all! There are some great predictions and good food for thought. I noticed two major characters I left out in my origional list; Daenearys and Davos. So here are my thoughts on those two.

- Dany has unfinished business with Khal Pono and Mago. They will die screaming. When is unclear to me, but they will regret what they did to Eroah. Dany will meet the Dosh Khaleen and see some more prophetic visions, Dothraki style. This may be where we get some flashbacks to Asshai. I think Drogon is the stallion who mounts the world, and Dany will unite the Dothraki and march back to Meereen.

- Davos will find Rickon, Osha and Shaggydog, and together along with mute Wex they will attempt to sail back to White Harbor. But we need some pov of the events at Hardhome. I strongly suspect Davos will be that pov. He, Rickon and company will experience the Others firsthand. As an aside, I think the stories of Skagosi cannibals are vastly overstated. 

I like to think that Brynden BFish is correct in his assesment of George's progress. He has a great thread on Reddit about it, and does seem to be in the loop on a lot of ASoiaF related material. So hopefully it won't be too much longer until all our questions are answered.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 1:54 AM, SeanF said:

Martin has spoiled that the Pink Letter is false, by confirming that Stannis will burn Shireen.  One can guess, therefore, that he will the Battle of Ice.

I’m confused... do you mean because if Stannis burns Shireen then he’s not dead, therefore the PL is “false”? 
I mean, there are truths in the letter, and unknowns, and lies. But I’m not sure what you mean by the PL is false? 

17 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m confused... do you mean because if Stannis burns Shireen then he’s not dead, therefore the PL is “false”? 
I mean, there are truths in the letter, and unknowns, and lies. But I’m not sure what you mean by the PL is false? 

What I meant was that the claim in the letter that Stannis is dead is false

There will be a big chunk of material that would not make good tv - time travel, ghosts, greenseers (whatever it is Bran does), destiny; stuff like that.

ETA

Maybe it turns out that it doesn't make a good book either, which is why the good book is slow appearing.

- Rickon swooping in with an army of Skagosi on unicorns, to assist the battle at winterfell, but he dies in battle

- Sansa also swooping in with the Vale army 

- Cersei lives to fight another day and takes advantage of the vacuum left after Dany kills Aegon and flies North

- As our politics get darker and scarier in real life, GRRM hits hard on the Daenerys/Trump connection. Joffrey is dead and Cersei doesn't have the rockstar MWGA cult following like Dany does. 

19 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

- As our politics get darker and scarier in real life, GRRM hits hard on the Daenerys/Trump connection. Joffrey is dead and Cersei doesn't have the rockstar MWGA cult following like Dany does. 

I'm not sure where you're getting the Dany/Trump comparison from. One is an empathetic leader of freedmen who are loyal to her because she freed them from slavery. The other is a doofus.

Unless GRRM based Daenerys's entire character on Trump in his New York real estate days in the 90's, which is when he started the series, I don't think there is a connection to be made there. I can, however, see something of that sort with Aegon the Unconvincing.

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

I'm not sure where you're getting the Dany/Trump comparison from. One is an empathetic leader of freedmen who are loyal to her because she freed them from slavery. The other is a doofus.

Unless GRRM based Daenerys's entire character on Trump in his New York real estate days in the 90's, which is when he started the series, I don't think there is a connection to be made there. I can, however, see something of that sort with Aegon the Unconvincing.

Not that I disagree with you, but I've just seen a video that starts with listing all the popular 80s movie/TV villains that where based on Trump. 

5 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Come on, get a critical perspective. A doofus is a harmless fuck up. Trump is a dangerous and disastrous strongman autocrat obsessed with dramatic shows of force and personal grievances. Dany is a dangerous and disastrous strongman autocrat obsessed with dramatic shows of force and personal grievances. And thats just not my opinion thats been the words of almost every piece of journalism that has reported on Trump in the past four years. Dany has a fanatical army who will do anything she says and worships her as a rockstar, Trump has a fanatical army who does anything he says and worships him as a rock star. Trump is a fascist and Dany is turning into one. They are both empowered by cults of personality. That Living Color song was on point.

3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

And thats just not my opinion thats been the words of almost every piece of journalism that has reported on Trump in the past four years.

3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Trump is a fascist

Care to prove your words here? You can message me so we don't detail the thread.

Thanks.

A small prediction, but I think after Dannys revelations in the dothraki sea, and her waking the dragon, she won't take Ben Plumms desertion lightly. Even after the second sons turned their cloaks again for her. I think she is gonna arrive back in Mereen, Ben Plumm is gonna present himself to her thinking he will receive a reward for betraying the Yunkish again, and Danny is just gonna roast him.

9 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Come on, get a critical perspective. A doofus is a harmless fuck up. Trump is a dangerous and disastrous strongman autocrat obsessed with dramatic shows of force and personal grievances. Dany is a dangerous and disastrous strongman autocrat obsessed with dramatic shows of force and personal grievances. And thats just not my opinion thats been the words of almost every piece of journalism that has reported on Trump in the past four years. Dany has a fanatical army who will do anything she says and worships her as a rockstar, Trump has a fanatical army who does anything he says and worships him as a rock star. Trump is a fascist and Dany is turning into one. They are both empowered by cults of personality. That Living Color song was on point.

Dany is a strongman autocrat who... tried to negotiate a peace with the Green Grace, married a political opponent for the sake of peace in her city, promised freedom to the slaves in Meereen and actually followed through with that promise when a few of those slaves appealed to her to let them sell themselves back into servitude, since her notion of freedom seems to be "people should be able to make their own decisions about their own life." Can you imagine Donald Trump actually sitting down with his political rivals, making deals and working for peace? Dany and Trump's political moves are literally the exact opposite of one another. One makes compromises and tries to bring peace to Meereen. The other is Donald fucking Trump, who needs no explanation. So far, as per the books, the only similarity between the two of them is that they have the same initials.

I will admit that calling old Cheeto Puff a "doofus" was a bit of an error on my part. His Presidency has been a masterclass in how to ruin a country. But drawing comparisons between the very stable genius's followers and the dragon lady's followers is a bit disengenous, no? The two groups are motivated by completely different things and are loyal to their respective leaders for very different reasons. Trump's magaheads are motivated by a desire to maintain their relative privledge in a changing society, see their political relevence slipping, and are loyal to Trump because he hates the people they hate. Danearys's followers are loyal to her because she freed them from slavery and promises an end to the slave trade. That's... kind of a huge difference that you are ignoring in order to make your analogy work.

Dany is clearly not a perfect character, and her actions have had serious and destabalizing consequences in slavers bay. These things are all true for her. But there really isn't a great basis for comparison between her and Trump.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

Please everyone leave politics out of it.

Sorry but no.

Politics is infused throughout the series, to "leave it out" means the author's work has no relevance to our own political world unfolding right now. 

GRRM has been prescient about dangers of world-ending threats (climate/nuclear power), prescient about how carelessly planned invasions can destabilize a region (Iraq/Meereen), and I would argue, prescient about how people are unable to see the warning signs of rising despotism (Trump/Dany).

I do think GRRM is watching our political scene in horror, and anger. And like I said, Joffrey would work better as a comparison but I think Dany has always been planned as the surprise villain so he will run with this. He has said directly that her purpose is to explore what effect great power has upon a person, that her power is like nukes in our world, and that he is afraid of nuclear war. And here in our world, Trump wants to re-start nuclear testing and is constantly talking about what "powerful weapons" he has. 

And I guess no one noticed how both Dany and Trump caught diseases during a pandemic, which that they both scoffed at because of their arrogance. Haha it's unreal.

Archived