US Politics: Veni, Vidi, Virus

Interesting article on Bennett and her view that the 14th amendment is illegitimate.  I was not aware of this.

https://www.alternet.org/2020/09/why-trumps-supreme-court-nominee-believes-all-civil-rights-legislation-is-illegitimate/

That's not just pretty straightforward, it's a pretty undeniable good. So how did it come to be that when Barrett writes about this text, she mentions it in this way.  "Congress has to decide whether to … rely on the power conferred by the possibly illegitimate Fourteenth Amendment." Or … "The originalist legislator might have to face questions … such as the legitimacy of the Fourteenth Amendment."

Back in 2011, The Atlantic took a look at this question and how conservative Republicans became "14th Amendment deniers." For some Republicans, the 14th Amendment was viewed as being only intended to help those who had been directly enslaved, and not applicable to future generations. This view has become common in right-wing media, and sorry as that sounds, it's not even the most radical view.

The even uglier approach has been to outright challenge the validity of 14th Amendment because members of Confederate states were not seated in Congress when the amendment was proposed just after the end of the Civil War. Because of this, say the deniers, the Congress itself was illegitimate, and so anything it recommended—including the 14th and 15th Amendments—are illegitimate.

That Barrett brings up questions of the 14th Amendment being legitimate in her writings with considerable frequency and apparent support should be an absolute bullhorn to the nation that she believes all Civil Rights legislation to rest on thin air. While Barrett has listed Brown vs. Board of Education among those Court decisions she regards as "super-precedents," she voted in 2017 to refuse a re-hear a case in which a company segregated employees by race to different locations. She has clearly stated her opposition to marriage equality, denied that rights extend to transgender Americans, and all that is on top of her direct threat to Roe.

13 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Jamie Harrison has threatened to pull out of his debate with Graham tomorrow unless Graham takes a COVID test. Graham is refusing, for which there can be many explanations.....but I like how Harrison is basically not being risk-averse.

Oh and I keep seeing articles about how the 'free Regeneron' that Trump keeps touting was made from an embryonic kidney that came from ...an elective abortion. Someone should ask Pence how he feels about that (and the whole embryonic stem cell research stuff).

I heard yesterday or the day before that Harrison is currently spending more money on ads in SC than Trump is nationwide. That doesn't sound right, but then again, I haven't seen many Trump ads as of late. 

I can't believe this handmaiden stuff. What is a Pentecostal Catholic? It sounds so antithetical. I was going to say only in America but actually its the kind of thing you'd get in parts of South East Asia where you get interesting mix and match religious affiliations.

Just now, Castellan said:

I can't believe this handmaiden stuff. What is a Pentecostal Catholic? It sounds so antithetical. I was going to say only in America but actually its the kind of thing you'd get in parts of South East Asia where you get interesting mix and match religious affiliations.

There have been "Charismatic Catholic" groups in the USA since the 1960s. I have a friend who is around 65 years old now where most of his family was involved in one in the Ypsilanti, Michigan area years ago. 

My brother made the comment to me that the militia in Michigan has been around for a long time. Militia groups from around the US have spent time with them.

He also told me many of the founders and leaders of these groups are southerners. Not only black people left the south looking for work in the north. My brother went to college at Lincoln Memorial in Tennessee and when he made friends with his classmates he’d asked them where they were from, and so many were from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio and yet they sounded like they came from the South, not the North. That’s because their parents headed north for work and stayed there..

13 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Oh and I keep seeing articles about how the 'free Regeneron' that Trump keeps touting was made from an embryonic kidney that came from ...an elective abortion. Someone should ask Pence how he feels about that (and the whole embryonic stem cell research stuff).

Gonna get pedantic here, but this is not really true. The language here is designed to incite a kneejerk anti-science reaction from the religious which I kinda hate and really don't think should be propagated.

The regeneron monoclonal antibody would be produced in an immortalized B-cell line. Producing antibodies are what B-cells do. As far as I can see they used spike protein produced in a HEK293 derived cell line to induce the antibody response, but that's not really at all the same as made from. The HEK293 cell line came from a fetus which was aborted in 1972 and have widely been used in cell culture since - notably they're being used in adenovirus production for the oxford vaccine (that'd be closer to made from).

It'd be more accurate to say that cells which were initially derived from a human fetus close to 50 years ago, were indirectly involved in the early stages of antibody production. Also worth noting this is all distinct from embryonic stem cell research (HEKs are not stem cells), which is a completely different field altogether.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/08/fact-check-trumps-antibody-therapy-not-made-fetal-stem-cells/5901542002/

The claims about the antibody aren't scientifically accurate, but when it comes to the anti-abortion base, it doesn't matter. Anything to do with an aborted fetus, and especially the CEO being a member of Trump's golf club and Trump's financial interests in the company might be politically very damaging for him.

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yeah, I clarified the question in my edit.

I agree with your edit.  The political distinction for the religious right between that and stem cells really doesn't matter.

Mitch McConnell Whacks White House Over Lax Coronavirus Protocols
The Kentucky Republican said the Trump administration is “paying the price” for not socially distancing and wearing masks.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mitch-mcconnell-coronavirus-trump-white-house_n_5f7f50fbc5b664c95bd6aa3c

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) suggested on Thursday that the White House could do a better job of taking precautions against the coronavirus, following a possible superspreader event that may have led to the infections of President Donald Trump, the first lady, several Republican senators and dozens of White House aides last month.

McConnell, who is notoriously loath to criticize Trump or break with him in any way, said he’s personally avoided visiting the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue because of the White House’s lax virus protocols.

“I actually haven’t been to the White House since August the 6th because my impression was their approach to how to handle this is different from mine and what I insisted that we do in the Senate, which is to wear a mask and practice social distancing,” the 78-year-old majority leader said at an event in Kentucky.

“If any of you have been around me since May the 1st, I’ve said, ‘Wear your mask. Practice social distancing.’ ... Now, you’ve heard of other places that have had a different view, and they are, you know, paying the price for it,” he added at another event.

57 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Ok, this sounds like me trying to explain bonds to newbies. There are always questions.

What is HEK - I get it, human embryonic kidney - but not the same thing as stem cells?

And it doesn’t matter to Pence and the religious bro’s if they are kidney cells or stem cells, they cake from a fetus that was aborted in 1972, Pence would have this off limits if he could, right?

Pence would probably cook an aborted fetus himself and serve it to trump if he was bid.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Ok, this sounds like me trying to explain bonds to newbies. There are always questions.

What is HEK - I get it, human embryonic kidney - but not the same thing as stem cells?

And it doesn’t matter to Pence and the religious bro’s if they are kidney cells or stem cells, they cake from a fetus that was aborted in 1972, Pence would have this off limits if he could, right?

A stem cell is an undifferentiated cell. It hasn't matured, and is waiting for the correct signals and environment before it becomes whatever cell / tissue it needs to be. They're also immortal. The cells used for the HEK293 cell line had already differentiated and become kidney cells within the fetus.

Can't really comment to what Pence would think / do. The Catholic church (is Pence Catholic?) seems to try to have it both ways when it comes to HEKs - their official line is treatments can be used when there's no alternatives. Otoh I see the the Trump admin has stopped funding all research on fetal tissue so there's some hypocrisy there. I guess I was mainly pushing back on phrasing that makes it sound like they're growing antibody in freshly harvested fetal tissue, which I assume would give even some moderately religious people pause.

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

Michael McDonald, who probably knows more about US voter turnout than anybody in the world, predicts a record turnout of 150 million - 65% - based on the early returns of 6.6 million people already voting (ten times the pace of 2016).

That would be interesting, but isn't the pace of early voters just a consequence of a much greater fraction of people voting by mail this year because of the virus? The article mentions this, but it does not specify how the extrapolation is done given the unique circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That would be interesting, but isn't the pace of early voters just a consequence of a much greater fraction of people voting by mail this year because of the virus? The article mentions this, but it does not specify how the extrapolation is done given the unique circumstances.

Sure.  And I don't know what McDonald is basing it on exactly.  But, at the aggregate level, take into account that in 2016 17.2% of the electorate voted early, and another 23.6% voted by mail or absentee (same thing!).  Let's say that you double that - which would mean only 20% of the electorate votes in person on election day.  That's still compared to the tenfold rate at this time.  Now, not only can just more people voting by mail help account for that disparity, but also - as Michael mentions - how many people have already made up their minds this cycle.  But that's still A LOT of disparity to make up for.  I wouldn't be as bullish as McDonald, but gun to my head if I had to guess I'd expect an increase of around 5-10 million, so about 140-145 million.  And I'm assuming McDonald is working with and deriving his conclusions from a whole hell of a lot more than I am - which is just an educated guess. 

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/08/921538492/second-presidential-debate-to-be-virtual-commission-says

I wonder if Trump is truly trying to kill biden? 

Kidding

In any case, I imagine he's mostly doing this because he fears he’lll look bad debating like he did last time.

He's doing this because Trump can't actually debate at all. He has only ever used the debates as an opportunity to try to dominate the space, physically and aurally, because that's what he thinks of as strength: and you can't do that remotely. He can't prowl the stage, yell, talk over people, and generally try in that awful supposedly 'alpha' way to assert control. He therefore sees no point in the exercise: displaying that dominance was the only reason he was ever interested in the debates.

Archived