US Politics: Veni, Vidi, Virus

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

If anything that includes, "he may be a Democrat, but...." can be called and endorsement.

Well, that's kinda the point of having Cindy McCain endorse you.  It's not gonna help you with Democrats.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Well, that's kinda the point of having Cindy McCain endorse you.  It's not gonna help you with Democrats.

Plays well with the older white male demographic who is on their third to fifth beer. 

And Daniel Jones sucks!

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I have met militia men before dating back to the nineties, the two that I've known both ended up being imprisoned for income tax evasion.

My impression is they are still very much a fringe group and while they remain among us, they will always be a unfortunate minority. Ron Paul (father of Rand) was a great influence on the militiaman I knew best. I worked alongside him and he was ever ready to share propaganda material, guy was a real weirdo, used to keep armor piercing rifles in the trunk of his car and drive around to meetings all over the place as he referred to himself as a "commander".

We can thank the R.Paul influence for the guy eventually getting locked up though. Seems he was convinced that income tax were unconstitutional, the IRS disagreed and said nut job was frogwalked to his own little cell. That happened to two former workmates of mine lol.

As for Sinclair how interesting, I was only aware of Upton. It seems no less than J.Lennon himself was impressed by John- 

John's spent a lot of time in New Orleans too, with many friends and colleagues there.  He's got a spot in next weekend's festival events, the three weekends that Partner has organized and produced for 50 paying people, so John will get some money too.  This high tech, remote, live, etc. festival's 'tickets" were $1200 per person, or, I think, $1800 per couple, so the artists really are getting paid, not a token.  One of the most famous musicians taking part, who has been working for good pay all his life, said to the audience, when thanking them, that this was the last work he had on his schedule.  Never in his life did he not have a schedule of work.  He also almost died of covid-19.

@ Fez: Well, most of the things you listed are caused by Republican inaction and ignorance, not action.

How is judgment to get rid of ballot drop boxes, destroying the post office, suborning postal workers to steal and destroy ballots, organizing poll watcher militias, etc. inaction and ignorance when by their very execution they are intentional actions. Why are you always excusing these traitors as not important and that they're doing nothing when they've done everything they can to break every institution of governance and education and the economy and everything else, and millions and millions are literally suffering the consequences of this every minute, not least of all, lack of food and housing and medical care.  You are beyond comprehension.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah. You're correct.

I can only assume that it was targeted across the border at Texas.

No way in hell it would make a difference to these idiots in Louisiana.

9 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I don't know how you get through to them though. To your point: I got into an all night discord conversation a couple years ago with a bunch of people I used to play SWTOR with. White privilege and affirmative action were brought up by someone and it turned into an absolute shitshow. For HOURS. One white guy from Texas [who generally was pretty chill and quite funny] went on an absolute rant about having grown up as a minority wherever he was there, how impoverished his upbringing was, and 'who the fuck is going to help people like me'... We really got into it and didn't talk for days, almost a week, afterward.

I figure there's certain kinds of experience that no amount of education will crack enough to see daylight through.  

That doesn't mean all people can't be educated. And I would say a discord chat is not the best forum to assist people to gain a better understanding of these sorts of issues. People who's state of deprivation in childhood through adolescence significantly defines there self-identity and view of the way the world is can't have their beliefs and opinions unpacked and re-evaluated in an online chat session. It actually needs real friendship, establishment of trust, acknowledgement of their hardships, time, patience and love. Most progressives are not willing to put in that sort of effort because there is no love, but where there is love, nothing is too much trouble and there is always time. Whereas there isn't a whole lot of effort (and no love) needed to radicalise such a person towards white supremacy thinking, or at least sympathy with some white supremacy rhetoric.

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

IQ’s are “facts” but are “facts” based upon tests that have assumptions within them that could skew the results to be worse for people of color.  Therefore they are not “facts” in the same way that “a lack of oxygen will kill humans” is a “fact”.

That's why I mentioned it. Some facts need context or they will mislead people as much, and potentially worse, than lying.

2 hours ago, SkynJay said:

This is a stand alone comment that doesn't really say much about the bigger themes.  But I have to say, the political commercials in Colorado are INSANE for the Senate race.  It really shows how far blue the state has gone.  And how toxic Trump is outside the base.

If you knew nothing about the candidates you would have thought Gardner was a Democrat.  And if not, that he had been fighting for Dem ideas this whole time.  He is running on the environment and bi-partisanship when positive.  When negative they are trying to nail Hickenlooper for conflict of interests of all things.  An ad I saw today was talking about what a good thing it is for Colorado to have both a GOP and Dem senator.

I swear Colorado was still considered a swing state just a few years ago.

I'll give Hickenlooper kudos for making his attack ads center on lies in Gardner's attack ads. Like, Gardner's claim that he protects pre-existing conditions and all that. I think we could become a swing state again if there is any voter drop off. The rural parts of Colorado (all of Colorado except Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and some small ski towns like Telluride) are chomping at the bit to take the state back.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Something I forgot to mention. 

When Trump was asked where he might have caught Covid-19, he finally said he might have caught it at the WH. He actually said “They had some big events”.

Who the flying f*** is “they” except for Donald Trump? 

Perhaps it was the royal we?

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Something I forgot to mention. 

When Trump was asked where he might have caught Covid-19, he finally said he might have caught it at the WH. He actually said “They had some big events”.

You know. 

“They”

The ominous “Them”

“They” are the cause of everything always.

It’s not like other human beings besides us are capable of taking responsibility for anything ever.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That doesn't mean all people can't be educated. And I would say a discord chat is not the best forum to assist people to gain a better understanding of these sorts of issues. People who's state of deprivation in childhood through adolescence significantly defines there self-identity and view of the way the world is can't have their beliefs and opinions unpacked and re-evaluated in an online chat session. It actually needs real friendship, establishment of trust, acknowledgement of their hardships, time, patience and love. Most progressives are not willing to put in that sort of effort because there is no love, but where there is love, nothing is too much trouble and there is always time. Whereas there isn't a whole lot of effort (and no love) needed to radicalise such a person towards white supremacy thinking, or at least sympathy with some white supremacy rhetoric.

True enough. I was kind of the odd man out in that though, those folks had been gaming together for years and years, and a few of them served together. There was love there, just not on my end. Respect though, for a while. Anyway, the point I was driving at wasn't making a fundamental change to a person's self awareness via a discord chat, but rather that the individual in question grew up very poor, felt saved by the military, and then subsequently abandoned by the same. He saw himself and his family as every bit as much as disadvantaged as any minority [I disagreed with him on that, hence the fireworks] had gotten what he felt was raw education, zero to poor job prospects, etc etc... I mean, I don't know if therapy, if any of the things you mentioned [or all of the above] would've made make him feel like he'd had as equal a chance as anyone else, whether white or otherwise.

White privilege? 'Pfft. Never had it' [though I'm sure he has] Affirmative action? 'Must be fucking nice.' 

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I'll give Hickenlooper kudos for making his attack ads center on lies in Gardner's attack ads. Like, Gardner's claim that he protects pre-existing conditions and all that. I think we could become a swing state again if there is any voter drop off. The rural parts of Colorado (all of Colorado except Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and some small ski towns like Telluride) are chomping at the bit to take the state back.

I am in Weld County, and damn don't I know it. Our neighborhood Next Door is currently a Trump fan site.  I got caught behind a convey of about a dozen trucks with Trump flags last weekend.  The red parts of our state are LOUD.  But can they keep pace with the growth of Fort Collins and Aurora?  I, optimistically, don't think they can.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

He actually said “They had some big events”.

Perhaps he meant the Biden administration that allowed 2 million covid deaths.

So @mcbigski. As mentioned before in another thread (had to move discussion, it was way off topic) I usually think the most simple explanation is the correct explanation. 

I don't like conspiracy theories. I don't think the earth is flat. I don't think the sun revolves around our planet. I don't think the moon landing was faked.

So when the area of the country that thought owning other human beings was a good idea votes overwhelmingly one way (the former confederacy/ the south), and the people who they made property overwhelmingly vote the other way (African Americans), I think it's fairly simple to see that the former slave owning areas are on the wrong side of history.

How is that not obvious to you? I'd love to here your rationalization.

A Republican group in Orange Country CA is setting up rouge ballot boxes, which is illegal. Seems that in an attempt to prevent voter fraud, they have... committed election fraud.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/11/unofficial-ballot-drop-boxes-popping-up-throughout-the-state-worry-elections-officials/

Really the question comes down to is it just a bunch of dumb asses who don't know what they are doing, are they actually purposefully trying commit election fraud, or are they trying to start to build the narrative that illegal shit went down in CA?

Archived