Will Aegon's identity ever be known for sure?

Alyn Oakenfist

I personally think that we as the audience will be given enough hints to definitely say he was a Blackfyre (kinda like R+L=J), but that Westeros will always be in doubt about it, helping in the general dissolution of feudalism by the mistrust this will create in the institution of feudalistic monarchy. But what do you think?

As I argued before, I think the point of the seeds of doubt GRRM has sprinkled in are to have us never be sure if he's real or not, because it's the same either way, he was power because Varys, Illyrio and The Golden Company support him, not because of his blood.

Well for one it doesn't matter since it's what people believe that's important rather than the truth. THat's been Varys stick the entire series.

But unless he's actually a Blackfyre (possible) or genuine (highly unlikely) I doubt we'll know. If he's a complete fake it's possible that even Varys doesn't know who he actually is or perhaps doesn't even care who he is.

If Elia's Aegon had a specific birthmark, or any other identifying feature, then Maester Marwyn will be able to confirm that fAegon isn't him.

I'm sure that Marwyn personally knew Rhaegar and was his trusted advisor. It's likely that when Elia was giving birth to her children, and Lyanna was giving birth to Jon, Marwyn was assisting them. I think that Varys killed Pycell because Pycell had medical journals in which were recorded medical histories of Targaryen family, including detailed information about their pregnancies, births, newborn children's state of health, hair color, eye color, birthmarks, deviations (Jaehaerys, son of Aegon II, had six fingers on his left hand, and six toes on each foot; Jeyne Westerling's and Maegor's stillborn child was legless and armless and had both male and female genitals; Elinor Costayne, Maegor's other wife, gave birth to a child that was eyeless and had small wings; Shiera Seastar had bicolored eyes, blue and green; Alyssa Targaryen had mismatched purple and green eyes; etc.)

Or could be that it's the opposite - fAegon will have a birthmark that Elia's Aegon didn't had.

fAegon, who is the mummer's dragon, seems to be a parallel to Biblical Antichrist, the fake Messiah, the Beast out of the Sea, that had many heads, one of which was mortally wounded and then healed itself, and people in awe of that miracle became the Beast's followers and worshiped him. Which looks like a scene from the House of the Undying - "A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. ... slayer of lies . . ."

The current invasion of Golden Company is the Sixth Rebellion of Blackfyres. If fAegon will be crowned, then he will be Aegon VI Targaryen. And the number of the Biblical Antichrist is 666. So it's likely that on fAegon's head there's a birthmark shaped like 6. Probably GRRM borrowed this element from "The Omen" movie.

Legitimate reasons why Aegon VI: 

1. Besides all the previous reasons here are some technical ones; 

a.) Duck was carrying the chest with baby Aegon's clothes 

b.) Gregor didn't kill the boy, he wasn't even in the room 

c.) The boy that was killed wasn't Aegon 

d.) The whole point of the Dalla/Gilly baby swap was to parallel Rhaegar.  

"Another woman would have shrieked at him, cursed him, damned him down to seven hells. Another woman might have flown at him in rage,slapped him, kicked him, raked at his eyes with her nails. Another woman might have thrown her defiance in his teeth- Jon Snow 

Another woman is Elia. We are brought to believe she is meek, but she still has Dornish blood inside of her. When Rhaegar took her son that was her reaction. 

Also the prophecy needs him alive. 

5 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Ah, is that the sweet sound of crackpot?

I’ve laid out my ideas and thoughts on why Aegon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna and Jon being the son of Ned and Ashara... Not appreciated on this forum of course. I’m more then happy to sound like a broken record though @butterweedstrover

Regardless of R+L=J or R+L=A neither is conclusive without more text. And if i am wrong and if Aegon is a blackfyre or a brightflame or what ever name you choose to give he will go to grave not knowing his true parentage anyway you slice it.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:27 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I personally think that we as the audience will be given enough hints to definitely say he was a Blackfyre (kinda like R+L=J), but that Westeros will always be in doubt about it, helping in the general dissolution of feudalism by the mistrust this will create in the institution of feudalistic monarchy. But what do you think?

His identity will be revealed for sure.  For sure it will have big consequences.  It is silly to think it won't matter if he is a fake.  Let me remind you what people still believe.  They believe Tommen is part Targaryen.  To the good people of Westeros, the Targaryen line has not broken.  Just very watered down. 

The Freys are marginalized in social circles because they are a young house.  But any objective measure involving reason would show them as a highly successful family.  That is the issue with social hierarchy based on antecedent.  The high and mighty will have trouble bending their knees to a lesser.  Robert used his kinship with the Targaryens to get over this major hurdle.  So this Aegon will automatically lose at least half of the realm if he is shown to be anything other than who he was presented.  He will lose even more if he is proven to be the scion of a minor house.  The people will definitely care about his antecedent.  The riddle from Varys does not apply when Aegon is shown to be a fraud.  Nobody will respect a fraud.  The trueborns will be sickened before they bend their pale knees to a Blackfyre son of a merchant who rose from nothing.  If they look down on the Freys, Oh boy will they look down on the son of a newly made merchant from Pentos. 

Archived