A very weird inspiration for Ramsay and Theon

Alyn Oakenfist

So initially this sounded insane, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made and the more similarities there were. So without another ado let me introduce to one of the most popular Romanian stories: Harap Alb

So our protagonist (whom is never given a name) is the youngest of 3 princes in a far away kingdom. Due to some mombo jumbo, all 3 brothers go on a quest to take another kingdom for themselves by the request of their father (hmm I wonder if this sounds similar to a certain Ironborn King)

The first 2 brothers fail quickly (Robert's Rebellion) but the younger manages to carry on with his quest. Eventually after some success he meets the Bald Man, a person with a deep complex and chip on his shoulder due to his perceived inferiority (almost like Ramsay and his bastardy). The Bald Man however doesn't reveal his identity to our Prince, and instead pretends to be a creature of low cunning wishing to serve him. However after some time, at the first chance he gets, the Bald Man tricks our protagonist and takes him prisoners, transforming him into his servant, giving him a new name (Harap Alb meaning servant, almost a kind of Reek) while pretending to be a prince himself. He then uses Harap Alb in order to give him legitimacy in taking the hand of a woman who is closely related to Harap Alb (Jeyne, it reims with this isn't a coincidence)

But wait, just when you think it can't possibly be any closer to Theon and Ramsay there is one more part. Eventually Harap Alb gets the support of 7 companions (Mance and the washerwoman) who help him take the princess away, marring her and letting the Bald Man face justice from the rightful King.

This can't be a coincidence...

Archived