In Good Hands: Improving King's Landing

You have been made Hand of the King. While the realm is prosperous and peaceful, unified under a more or less competent ruler, there's one immediate problem: King's Landing. This reeking eyesore of a city is long overdue for not just a makeover but lasting improvements. You know what King's Landing is like, rife with crime, hunger, undrinkable water, crooked streets that are hard to traverse and unnavigable, shanties outside the city walls. The king demands a change to his capital.

What would you do to improve the city and how would you do so? For example, if you were going to make all the alleys in Flea Bottom paved and straighten them, how would you deal with the residents who you displace and whose homes you would knock down? In terms of coin, consider the realm not overflowing with it but not broke - a solid amount of gold. I'm very interested to see what you all have to say.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, any large medieval city will be a reeking eyesore. There is not much which can be done to improve that, unless you have outright Roman organizational and building capabilities - and even then it is quite likely to still be a reeking eyesore.

Intersting post, I'll answer with my modern sensibilities completely getting in the way, thank you very much. I would make branches of the Citadel in every kindgom, including one in KL, of course another necessary thing to do in order to get rid of poverty is to install some labour laws, minim wage, maximum amount of hours, etc. Lastly, I would use a lot of propaganda to convince people to go to the Wall. I find it weird how there's a lot of hungry people in Westeros and free food and shelter in the Wall, who need men, I think it's because most don't consider it an option, I would have singers sing the praises of the Wall, maybe even offering a wage for the families of those who go there voluntarily, and I would use the royal fleet to ship them there.

Just some thought for thought (and this is assuming everything can go perfectly according to plan?)

I would level pieces of flea bottom, give the residents and shopkeepers, 300 golden dragons a piece for their house/land. Another 20 cents on the dollar for possessions they cant leave behind. City to provide ample amount of provisions for 10 days and 10 nights (mostly bread, hard salt beef, apples, etc). If mounts are required; 4 members in a house (1 horse per 4) if you require a 2nd horse- you are to pay the city 20 silver stags. 3rd horse not allowed 

Invite elitist/foreign investment to build embassy’s, and other institutions. To build further relations throughout the realm as well and bring influx of cash to the city.

1) Build a embassy with Bravos to strengthen relations,

2) Build a school to compete with the Citadel 

3) Build recreation complex with the help of other noble houses and foreign investment, this can allow for nightly tourney’s in the city, training seminars, mummer shows, etc. constantly drawing $$$ 

4) I would have a contract prepared for stonemasons to fortify the city’s walls and other defenses 

Thats just off the top of my head 

On 10/12/2020 at 12:30 PM, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

You have been made Hand of the King. While the realm is prosperous and peaceful, unified under a more or less competent ruler, there's one immediate problem: King's Landing. This reeking eyesore of a city is long overdue for not just a makeover but lasting improvements. You know what King's Landing is like, rife with crime, hunger, undrinkable water, crooked streets that are hard to traverse and unnavigable, shanties outside the city walls. The king demands a change to his capital.

What would you do to improve the city and how would you do so? For example, if you were going to make all the alleys in Flea Bottom paved and straighten them, how would you deal with the residents who you displace and whose homes you would knock down? In terms of coin, consider the realm not overflowing with it but not broke - a solid amount of gold. I'm very interested to see what you all have to say.

Lack of technology will limit what can be done.  I suppose driving out a percentage of the population to relieve the crowding would help.  But then history would paint you as cruel and insensitive.

Sanitazion. City planning.

I thought some of the Targ rulers tried. Jaeherys the Conciliator or someone. Maybe KL was better after his reign but has descended back into a cesspool because no city planning, rules etc. and the city growing without planning and zoning, without rules and regulations.

7 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I dont know what your post meant, sorry....I meant get rid of the wildfire, otherwise all efforts will just blow up anyway.

I think he meant the exact opposite, and at firs I thought you meant decentralize, which would also be cool, tho I don't know how it would work.

On 10/23/2020 at 6:19 AM, Aldarion said:

To be fair, any large medieval city will be a reeking eyesore. There is not much which can be done to improve that, unless you have outright Roman organizational and building capabilities - and even then it is quite likely to still be a reeking eyesore.

A total cleanup would likely not come until an Industrial Revolution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution , as was in London in Britain in the real world.

Archived