American Gods Season 3: Welcome to Lakeside

williamjm

Thanks to @AncalagonTheBlack for posting the trailer in the previous thread just before it got closed:

Hopefully this will manage to be a bit more coherently plotted than season 2, but I'm struggling a bit to rekindle my enthusiasm for the show. It looks like we'll be getting the Lakeside plotline from the book, but I'm not sure what's going on in much of the rest of the trailer.

Missed this, sorry for the duplicate thread.

Hadn’t realised Anansi was cut. Apparently the split wasn’t amicable either: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/orlando-jones-fired-american-gods-interview-mr-nancy-1203436890/

Got to say this production has been one car crash after another since season one. I’m not sure I’ll tune in for season 3 tbh

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Hadn’t realised Anansi was cut. Apparently the split wasn’t amicable either: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/orlando-jones-fired-american-gods-interview-mr-nancy-1203436890/

I had forgotten about that but I remember now reading it at the time. I thought Jones was good in the role so it is a shame.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Missed this, sorry for the duplicate thread.

Got to say this production has been one car crash after another since season one. I’m not sure I’ll tune in for season 3 tbh

Wow I hadn't seen this, what a shitshow. No idea what's going on behind the scenes but sounds like nothing good.

11 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I never finished season 2 and now I kind of don't know if I want to, after all the behind the scenes drama an changes of showrunners. 

Though I'm curious how they'll do Lakeside.

Season 2 ends with a distinct pfft (imagine that as the sound of air escaping a sofa when you flop down on it. The storytelling overall in season 2 really feels all over the place. I think all of the behind the scenes drama since season one has really showed in the way the show has developed.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Season 2 ends with a distinct pfft (imagine that as the sound of air escaping a sofa when you flop down on it. The storytelling overall in season 2 really feels all over the place. I think all of the behind the scenes drama since season one has really showed in the way the show has developed.

It's a shame because there are clearly some really talented people involved and there have been plenty of great bits over the first two seasons but the whole is ending up less than the sum of its parts.

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

It's a shame because there are clearly some really talented people involved and there have been plenty of great bits over the first two seasons but the whole is ending up less than the sum of its parts.

Yep, completely agree. Its especially disappointing because of how much i enjoyed Season one and the performances from the rest of the cast. Had so much potential. I’m kind of curious as to just where these problems are stemming from because there has to be a root cause for them to be so persistent

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The behind the scenes drama is indeed confusing.  Replacing the show runners from season 1 was bad enough but letting Jones go was just crazy. 

Season 1 was brilliant.  I have yet to finish season 2.  

Trying to think of a list of the cast and crew that have left. Christin Chenoweth and Gillian Anderon, Fuller and Green, Orlando Jones, I believe the season 2 co-producer left mid production too. 

The way they wrote Chenoweth out was stupid too. “Oh you ran over her bunnies so she just disappeared and wont be coming back.” Um, okay, sure whatever.

58 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yep, completely agree. Its especially disappointing because of how much i enjoyed Season one and the performances from the rest of the cast. Had so much potential. I’m kind of curious as to just where these problems are stemming from because there has to be a root cause for them to be so persistent

Trying to think of a list of the cast and crew that have left. Christin Chenoweth and Gillian Anderon, Fuller and Green, Orlando Jones, I believe the season 2 co-producer left mid production too. 

The way they wrote Chenoweth out was stupid too. “Oh you ran over her bunnies so she just disappeared and wont be coming back.” Um, okay, sure whatever.

The way it was reported at the time Chenoweth chose to leave because of Fuller's exit.  Who knows.

Still, season 1 was amazing.  For me, it might have been the best thing on television that year.  I read the book and I liked it, although I thought Shadow's tour of Lakeside felt like it went about 20 pages too long, so next season will be interesting.  Maybe that stuff will translate better to the small screen.

If anything, I think season 1 might have been better than the book.  

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Mousa Kraish (Jinn) also  "wasn't asked to come back".

18 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Mousa Kraish (Jinn) also  "wasn't asked to come back".

Hmm, heavy side eye from me. Fremantle saying:

"Jones' option was not picked up because Mr. Nancy, among other characters, is not featured in the portion of the book we are focusing on within season three."

after two seasons with entirely invented storylines to keep people around? I'm sorry, I may be gullible but I'm not stupid.

(Not aimed at you Annara, just at the production company)

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

"Jones' option was not picked up because Mr. Nancy, among other characters, is not featured in the portion of the book we are focusing on within season three."

after two seasons with entirely invented storylines to keep people around? I'm sorry, I may be gullible but I'm not stupid.

I don't know about that.  Feast For Crows largely omitted a bunch of primary and secondary characters.  GoT had a season without Bran, Meera, Jojen, and Hodor in it as I recall.

There are certainly actors who didn't stick around for strictly narrative reasons, but it's a bit of a leap to assume that's probably the case across the board.

18 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

If it was just for narrative reasons, they should've done a better job explaining that to the actors in question,  making ti clear to them that they would be called back and working it all out with them. Which they obviously haven't done, so I call BS on that. 

17 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I don't know about that.  Feast For Crows largely omitted a bunch of primary and secondary characters.  GoT had a season without Bran, Meera, Jojen, and Hodor in it as I recall.

There are certainly actors who didn't stick around for strictly narrative reasons, but it's a bit of a leap to assume that's probably the case across the board.

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

If it was just for narrative reasons, they should've done a better job explaining that to the actors in question,  making ti clear to them that they would be called back and working it all out with them. Which they obviously haven't done, so I call BS on that. 

Agreed with Annara, it could have been innocuous but just looking at the context and responses of the actors it's pretty clear something stinks here

17 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Agreed with Annara, it could have been innocuous but just looking at the context and responses of the actors it's pretty clear something stinks here

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I agree, they should have done a better job of informing the talent in a timely manner.  That has nothing to do with what's required by the narrative.

They're about to start their third season with their third different show runner. There's clearly more going on behind the scenes.  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived