American Gods Season 3: Welcome to Lakeside

williamjm

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Has anyone started watching this? I’m mildly curious but have other things i’m enjoying watching more. I may give it a try once the season is done

I watched episode 1 the other night. Given all the problems, I was expecting something akin to a car crash, but I thought it was pretty good. I loved the opening rock concert scene.

On 1/24/2021 at 6:56 AM, Spockydog said:

A bit like the book, tbh.

Agreed. It seemed like they might be able to use the book and make it into something more, but then it fizzled out. I found the 'Coming to America' stories the best part of this show tbh. And McSweeny was pretty fantastic.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:40 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Has anyone started watching this? I’m mildly curious but have other things i’m enjoying watching more. I may give it a try once the season is done

It took me a while to start but I watched the first three episodes this week. I did think they were fairly good overall, the Lakeside plotline seems more coherent than a lot of the second season (probably because it's straight from the book). The other plotlines seemed a bit disconnected which has always been a bit of an issue with the show.

It’s my understanding the show has also lost Crispin Glover (!!!!!), which will be a humongous blow to the ending of the story. I can understand not using Djinn or Mr Nancy or Anubis during Lakeside- but Orlando Jones was also on the writing staff and not at least using him for that is a definite snub no matter what Eglee or even Gaiman say about it. 

10 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It’s my understanding the show has also lost Crispin Glover (!!!!!), which will be a humongous blow to the ending of the story. I can understand not using Djinn or Mr Nancy or Anubis during Lakeside- but Orlando Jones was also on the writing staff and not at least using him for that is a definite snub no matter what Eglee or even Gaiman say about it. 

It does all seem be a bit chaotic. Given all the drama behind the scenes and what seems to be declining interest from the audience I'm not sure I'd be all that optimistic about them ever getting to the end of the story.

The set-up for the conclusion of Mr World's story arc already felt a bit lacking compared to the book.

Since they haven't introduced Shadow's friend Low-Key at all, so they can't really do the revelation that he was the same person as Mr World all along.

37 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about S3, but at this point I think I'd enjoy a TV drama about the making of American Gods. Enjoy in a schadenfreude kind of way. 

I'm hoping the upcoming Sandman TV series will be better run.

I got caught up on season 2 and 3. There's enough here that I like to keep me engaged but the quality has definitely declined from the first season. Season 2 seemed a bit random and disjointed. Season 3 looks like it's developing much better. 

Game of Thrones did a better job of juggling multiple plot lines. IMO, they should reconcile with the season 1 show runners an bring them back.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished episode 9 last night and had a shock of recognition. The last scene takes place in a place I know very well, the David Dunlap Observatory. First Umbrella Academy, now American Gods.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived