U.S. Politics: Here At the End of All Things

Jace, Extat

2 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I mean, this isn't pessimism. This isn't me thinking things are going to be bad - this is me looking at a situation and saying 'this FUCKING SUCKS. ' It could be that this is a great foreteller of an election gone right - but right now I'm pissed off so many people have to risk personal danger in order to do a very basic thing. 

Keeping a positive attitude - and subsequently keeping everybody from both turning cynical AND complacent - is very important right now.  You're not saying anything anyone reading this doesn't already know, so how is it helpful?  Get pissed off on November 4th.

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

@Kalibear - yes, I could have my ballot “processed” yesterday had I voted absentee and found that info on the website, too.

They can’t count them until Election Day, and that takes a while.

And that's idiotic. Why wait? I can have my vote  processed, counted, and dealt with pretty much as soon as I want. Why are you willing to accept that?

We are just going to have to agree to disagree, but I like having the damn choice to stand in a fucking line if I so choose.

You having the choice to wait in a line does not justify forcing others to wait in a line so you can experience your kink. I could wait in a line or have the line-like experience in WA too if I want to, but me deciding to stand around for 4 hours would be an actual choice, and it wouldn't mean others would have to do that. 

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Keeping a positive attitude - and subsequently keeping everybody from both turning cynical AND complacent - is very important right now.  You're not saying anything anyone reading this doesn't already know, so how is it helpful?  Get pissed off on November 4th.

Like, literally, another person is arguing with me that what they're doing is a good thing and that it's a great system. Clearly I am saying things that people don't know. 

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

Like, literally, another person is arguing with me that what they're doing is a good thing and that it's a great system.

No, she's just reporting what she herself saw was encouraging based on her own observation, and in return you shit all over her experience.

4 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

IMO, you *are* being overly pessimistic.

yes, it's very pessimistic to be chiding people for gratitude to wait in line several hours.

4 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

ETA - I’d be overjoyed if GA law were to change to allow absentee counting before Election Day, but we are just not there *yet*.

Why not? What on earth is stopping you? It's not like there aren't examples of this working perfectly fine at scale elsewhere. 

What's stopping you is that you don't care that much. 

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, she's just reporting what she herself saw was encouraging based on her own observation, and in return you shit all over her experience.

I'm shitting over the experience that we have to have people distributing food to people in a line to vote because it took over 12 hours and this is the system that we're good with. That is a shitty experience. It might have a good outcome, it might be a good sign, but waiting 12 hours in line is not what most people would call a good experience. And yes, I'm shitting all over being happy that this is what it's come to. 

What's stopping Georgia from being like Washington is the idea that 'we are not there yet'. You aren't pissed off about this. This is fine, apparently. This isn't that big a deal. And then you wonder why Cobb county will get a record turnout of 60% or something whereas King County will get 90%+turnout with that 'fine' thing you've got there. 

If the system doesn't make you angry - if you're not bothered by the fact that it's perfectly fine to have to wait half a day to vote, and think about all the people who can't do that - why not? 

I was watching the Trump rally today and it kind of a wound from back during the primaries. If you listen to the attacks that Trump is using against the Democrats, you can pretty plainly see that the talking point that he is using is precisely the same as the ones that were leveled against the more progressive candidates on the Democratic side. Obvious rigorous debate is good, but it just keeps getting hammered home to me how much the Democrats use the exact same rhetoric to attack the left wing of the party as Republicans use to attack the Democratic party as a whole. I understand that right now there is a struggle going on within the Democratic party right now, but at the same time, how do you ever achieve any of the leftward structural change that you claim to support when you are using the same talking points as the folks trying to prevent those changes? You already have ~45% of the population that you are probably never going to win over, but then when you take half of the Democratic base, and constantly bombard them with Republican talking points when progressive proposals start to gain momentum, you're making it harder to achieve those incremental changes that you want.

We saw this with M4A, where it had strong support withing the Democratic party, then the center left started attacking it too, and that is when we started to see it going down.

The Republicans are going to attack literally anything the Democrats propose as evil communism hellbent on destroying America, which I think has desensitized a lot of folks to that attack.

10 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

You aren't pissed off about this.

Don't tell me what I'm pissed off about just because I learned a long time ago that adopting a toxic attitude like you're espousing is exactly what those fuckers want me to do.

Also, on that - a lot of Cobb county's districts are majority black. Any guesses how long the lines were in other parts of Georgia?

Though I do appear to be wrong in one way - turnout in Cobb in 2016 was 79%, which is pretty awesome! (and 74% overall in Georgia) It also had 2-3 hour lines. And the primary had lines 5+ hours long too.

This is an especially telling quote from the primary in 2020:

Black voters bore the brunt of long lines and late closings in overcrowded, understaffed and poorly equipped polling places. Only 61% of majority Black precincts closed on time compared with 80% of mostly white precincts, the AJC’s analysis found.

I'm not the only one here either.

https://www.good.is/massive-in-person-voting-lines-in-georgia-exemplify-voter-suppression-say-critics

I think the omens of massive turn out are promising, I'm actually feeling a little optimism that this might be the avalanche of votes that I've long thought would be the only way to overwhelm the attempts to steal it.

I also think the wait to vote is appalling, and the coverage of it should be critical of that component rather than treating it as a feel good thing. My country can have 95% of the country vote, mostly on election day, without significant wait times at polling booths. It's a travesty that people could need to wait 12 hours and have people distributing free meals to keep people in the lines going. 

Again, I do agree this is a positive sign, I just feel like when most people see this as something to celebrate rather than promising but something major needing to be fixed you'll never get the impetus to fix it.

Just now, DMC said:

Don't tell me what I'm pissed off about just because I learned a long time ago that adopting a toxic attitude like you're espousing is exactly what those fuckers want me to do.

*your

And I don't think this is accurate. I think there is a time for actual, concrete, solid anger. Being angry at this system without a solution is one thing. Being angry and proposing something better is constructive. Anger is one of the best ways to motivate actual action. Encouragement of the status quo is not. 

But no, you're clearly not pissed off. You're just happily sitting there commenting on how 12-hour wait times are encouraging. How people having ambulances called into lines to deal with passed out voters is a sign of determination and grit. 

It should not be this hard to vote.

Just now, Kalibear said:

*your

Uh...are you correcting me here?  Because no, I meant "you are espousing," or you're.

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

Being angry and proposing something better is constructive.

Angry while also encouraging people to get out and do something about it is indeed constructive.  Constantly harping on why the system is still gonna fuck is over is exactly how so many people disengage from politics.

3 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

But no, you're clearly not pissed off. You're just happily sitting there commenting on how 12-hour wait times are encouraging.

It's positively hilarious the ego you have to assume to know my emotions on something I've devoted my entire adult life to while brazenly lying about me "sitting happily" about 12-hour wait times when I even directly addressed that at all.

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

And yet, Kalibear, you specifically blame *me* for not caring enough to change things??

what the hell can I do other than what I do, which is vote Dem and volunteer???

seriously.

Is changing the way Georgia votes a major issue for you? Are you voting in the primary for people who care about this? Are you telling others that this is one of the biggest issues that matter to you? 

Or are you saying that you actually want to stand in line?

That's what you can do. You can do, well, what I'm doing right now - get angry at these kinds of processes, get angry at the complacency of accepting it and the feel-good story of looking at this as some kind of great thing instead of the indictment of a failed system, and start talking about it. Start talking about not needing the bullshit witness garbage that some states require, or the ludicrous requirement that the ballots are only counted on election day. Start talking about how a mail system makes everyone equal and gives everyone a far greater chance to cast a ballot with less cost, time, and risk, and far better auditing. 

I don't blame you specifically, mind you. I don't think this is just a you problem. I think this is a media problem first and foremost - where the media automatically frames long lines and wait times as 'enthusiasm' when it should be framing it as 'a big fucking hassle'. And some places are doing better in this regard - but a lot still look at it as 'this is what we have to do to EARN our vote - wait in line for hours and hours and skip work' - when there are so many better ways out there. 

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Uh...are you correcting me here?  Because no, I meant "you are espousing," or you're.

It was a joke

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Angry while also encouraging people to get out and do something about it is indeed constructive.  Constantly harping on why the system is still gonna fuck is over is exactly how so many people disengage from politics.

How am I harping on why the system is going to fuck anyone over here? I'm saying that the system is literally fucking people over. This isn't projection, this is literally reporting on what's going on! 

So go out, and do something about it!

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's positively hilarious the ego you have to assume to know my emotions on something I've devoted my entire adult life to while brazenly lying about me "sitting happily" about 12-hour wait times when I even directly addressed that at all.

Yeah, you seem real bemused. 

I've seen you pissed off at things. This ain't it. Your comments have either been to show encouragement at long wait times or to denigrate me. Honestly, I have very little idea of what you care about politically other than generic Dem views; it doesn't appear to be medicare, it doesn't appear to be voting rights, it doesn't appear to be state rights or whatnot. It certainly isn't things like senate reform or the environment. It appears to be simply having political arguments. I've seen you far more angry at the 49ers than I have anything particularly political. 

So no, I don't know you. I can only surmise what you're like based on your projection of your avatar, just like you envisioned me kicking over sandcastles of kids. But I doubt very seriously you care that much about voting rights and voting regulation improvements except as an intellectual exercise of how it works to suppress people. 

Why can't it be both?  Encouraging and yet rage inducing?

Be upset that Georgia Republicans have set this system up to generate 10 to 12 hour long lines to vote, yet exult that those meant to be discouraged the most are still standing in those lines, refusing to give in to those who seek to take away their voice.

Be irritated with the national media coverage painting this attempt at voter suppression in such a positive light because so many people are waiting in line despite the waiting, while not putting enough focus on the suppression.  But also take heart in those representations that are showcasing so many who are bright, encouraged, and motivated to vote despite the suppression. 

At the moment, people seem to want to exercise their right to vote despite the odds stacked against them.  

11 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

But I doubt very seriously you care that much about voting rights and voting regulation improvements except as an intellectual exercise of how it works to suppress people. 

Right back atcha sunshine.  Did enjoy the dimestore psychology though, good for a laugh.  Also if you're basing your perception of me on my avatar, then you'd have to assume I'm gonna be too high and oversleep election day, no?

59 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

@Kalibear - yes, I could have my ballot “processed” yesterday had I voted absentee and found that info on the website, too.

They can’t count them until Election Day, and that takes a while.

My impression (and this could be wrong) is that once ballots are processed, they'll be counted in exactly the same way as election day votes.  And thus any absentee ballots recieved prior to Nov 3 will be in the count.  I had considered GA to be a state that we should get a call on election night unless it is super close (half a percent or so).

4 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

OK, I think he's high as a kite. "I went through it, I'm strong, I'm immune, I'm walking into audiences, feels so good, kissing guys and all the women..."

Ah, the proverbial kiss of death taken to a literal level. People should really take stuff literal and not figuratively. That guy is immune to irony.

As for the thread title, I must admit, I would have gone with

Mens aegra in corpore aegro

Basically Sick Mind inside a sick body. Ah, well, I'll put it as a suggestion for the next thread, or leave it as announcement, of what I'd name the next one (if given the chance). And I also like Jace's doomsday announcement.

Going back to the old thread.

@Chataya de Fleury

I was cautious with my estimation how long before he will walk into the divine MacDonald's restaurant. As his access to healthcare can offset his obvious health issues (you listed them) to some degree. And I want him to sit thru the trial and spend some quality time behind bar(r)s. So, Biden better dare not to pardon him.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Be upset that Georgia Republicans have set this system up to generate 10 to 12 hour long lines to vote, yet exult that those meant to be discouraged the most are still standing in those lines, refusing to give in to those who seek to take away their voice.

Some of them, anyway. It seems implausible that everyone who'd like to vote is willing and able to line up for hours on end. And Georgia could be a very close race.

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

I also think the wait to vote is appalling, and the coverage of it should be critical of that component rather than treating it as a feel good thing. My country can have 95% of the country vote, mostly on election day, without significant wait times at polling booths. It's a travesty that people could need to wait 12 hours and have people distributing free meals to keep people in the lines going. 

Yeah, I'm reading this like 'what the fuck'. Pretty much everyone in the UK can stroll down to their nearest polling station (most often in my experience primary schools) no queue and vote. And all the votes are counted within about 12 hours, some constituencies get them counted in an hour. 

Apparently we have 50000 polling stations, so one for every 1320 people. 

Mindwalker quote from previous thread-

I just watched a few minutes of trump's ramblings at a superspreader event in Florida (yeah, I must be a masochist). It's def Upper Trump today. He ominously metioned "We caught them cold... just wait and see"

end quote

Yeah that's some cryptic stuff for Trump to throw out there. Any guesses what he's hinting at?

36 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Mindwalker quote from previous thread-

I just watched a few minutes of trump's ramblings at a superspreader event in Florida (yeah, I must be a masochist). It's def Upper Trump today. He ominously metioned "We caught them cold... just wait and see"

end quote

Yeah that's some cryptic stuff for Trump to throw out there. Any guesses what he's hinting at?

Nothing worth worrying about. He's been full of it for a long time on this stuff, and nothing they're trying to get out there is sticking because it's such obvious garbage.

Most Indians want a change (Biden instead of Trump), especially Tamils (Kamala Harris’s mother was a Tamil from British India who settled abroad) who’ll support anyone NOT Trump. This is a parody of a recent popular Tamil song featuring Trump.  Don’t take it seriously, just laugh and enjoy.

https://www.exlyrics.com/rakita-rakita-rakita-song-lyrics-in-english/

Meaning…

Spoiler

Hey rakita rakita rakita (ooo)

Rakita rakita rakita (ooo)

Rakita rakita rakita

Hey enna vena nadakattum

Naan sandhosama iruppen

Usuru irukku verenna venum

Ullasama iruppen

#Whatever may happen

I’ll remain happy

As long as I’m alive

I’ll remain in joy#

Enna vena nadakattum

Naan sandhosama iruppen

Usuru irukku verenna venum

Ullasama iruppen

#Whatever may happen

I’ll remain happy

As long as I’m alive

I’ll remain in joy#

Edha punch-ah

Pottu udu maapla

#Add some punch, dude#

Enakku rajavaa naan

Enakku rajavaa naan

Enakku rajavaa naan vaazhuren

Edhavum illanaalum aaluren

Edhavum illanaalum aaluren

#I’m a king for myself

I’m a king for myself

I’m living as a king for myself

Even if there is nothing, I’m ruling

Even if there is nothing, I’m ruling#

Rakita rakita rakita

Rakita rakita rakita (aww)

Rakita rakita rakita

Rakita rakita rakita

Naalu peru madhikkumbadi

Neeyum naanum irukkanum

Konjam moodikittu avanga

Sonna vazhiyila thaan nadakkanum

#We must lead a respectable life

We must follow the path showed by them

In a humble manner#

Hey avanukkaaga appadi vaazhndhu

Ivanukkaaga ippadi pesi

Avanukkaaga appadi nadandhu

Ivanukkaaga ippadi nadichu

#By leading a life for others sake

By talking according to others wish

Behaving according to others wish

Hey, by acting according to others wish#

Shabaa…

Hahahaha…

Enna maapla landhaa…

#My goodness

Buddy, is it stubbornness#

Antha naalu pera

Idhuvaraikkum paarthadhilla naanum

Enakku thevaipatta neram

Andha pardesiya kaanum

#I haven’t seen those helping people till now

I didn’t find that beggar when I required him#

Edhuvum illanaalum aaluren

Edhuvum illanaalum aaluren

#I’m living as a king for myself

Even if there is nothing, I’m ruling

Even if there is nothing, I’m ruling#

Rakita rakita rakita (aww)

Rakita rakita rakita

Yei antha adiya thiruppi vudu pangu!!!

(Aww)

#Hey turn oven the beat#

Edho onna kudukkathaane

Aditha naalum varudhu

Nalladha naan eduthukitta

Nalladha thaan tharudhu

#Next day is coming to give something

Whatever I take I get that

Nambi oru kaala vappen

Inbamadhu nooru varum

Edhu vandhalum purinjikkitta

Vaazha oru thembu tharum

#On putting a foot in front confidently

I’ll get hundreds of pleasure

Whatever comes to you if you understand

It’ll give an energy to live#

Edhu en thagudhi

(La la la la la la la)

Nejama yaar naan

(La la la la la la la)

Who is me?

#What is my eligibility?

Actually who am I?

Who is me?#

Edhu en thagudhi

(Yaaru vandhu sollanum)

Nejama yaar naan

(En kitta thaan kekkanum)

#Who should tell me what is my eligibility?

You must ask me who I’m#

Ennai thokkadikka

Oruthan mattum varuvaane…

Ennai thokkadikka

Oruthan mattum varuvaane

Mannikanum maamsu

#A single person will come to defeat me

A single person will come to defeat me

I’m sorry, buddy#

Ada avanum inga naan thaane

(Rakita rakita rakita)

Ada avanum inga naan thaane