U.S. Politics: Here At the End of All Things

Jace, Extat

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Well you must have gravy for a hippocampus. Americans respond to his idiocy. It makes them feel connected to a font of power.

I guess that's why we had to sacrifice the stuffed kangaroo.

Is Joey meat all that different from veal? 

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Personal income tax changes are usually for the tax year.

Right but they usually start the year following whenever the legislation is passed.  If it was on CNBC I'll find it, thanks.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Rarely do I defend my Rochesterian roots, but at least when I was growing up no, nobody said 'pop' - and that goes for dozens of visits to Buffalo and Syracuse as well.  You must have encountered the remnants of midwesterners that were too lazy to continue moving west a century or two ago.  You're right about euchre though, that all of a sudden became a huge craze when I was in high school but every time people tried to teach me it I was way too high.  Still don't know how to play it.

My roommate was from Rochester, and he said pop all the time. He was hardly the only either. It weirded out everyone from further east.

Per this 2003 data I just found (and I was there 2005-2009) https://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png Erie county is a majority 'pop' county. 

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I agree with Tywin. The previous town hall showed folks weren’t afraid to ask questions and Trump could not sneer at them, or mock them or talk over them. And when he tried to obfuscate he really annoyed people. NBC is not going to gather an audience of just Trump supporters or choose only softball questions.

Exactly. The performance was so poor. This is literally Mr. Scrooge getting interviewed by his everyday workers. It's a joke. 

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

My roommate was from Rochester, and he said pop all the time. He was hardly the only either. It weirded out everyone from further east.

Per this 2003 data I just found (and I was there 2005-2009) https://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png Erie county is a majority 'pop' county. 

Well your roommate woulda been made fun of in my high school, and even in Honeoye Falls which is much more "midwestern" and where I...spent a lot of time.  And screw Erie, Ontario FTW.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well your roommate woulda been made fun of in my high school, and even in Honeoye Falls which is much more "midwestern" and where I...spent a lot of time.  And screw Erie, Ontario FTW.

You're the killer! 

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I wanna say he was from Fairport/East Rochester, but I don't remember anymore.

Erie was alright; better than Niagara at least (other than the Falls themselves).

34 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I agree with Tywin. The previous town hall showed folks weren’t afraid to ask questions and Trump could not sneer at them, or mock them or talk over them. And when he tried to obfuscate he really annoyed people. NBC is not going to gather an audience of just Trump supporters or choose only softball questions.

I'm going to make this three of us. Trump is not benefiting from debates, and he's not benefiting from talking to non-Trumpanzees. In fact, when he talks to regular people he only makes himself look worse, whereas Biden is good at projecting the image of a guy who cares about you. (This may be genuine, but I am not debating anyone about that.)

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

Ah.  If it was ER that makes sense - they were pretty much the only team we could consistently beat when I played basketball.  Fairport was one of the biggest (if not the biggest) schools there, or at least was when I was growing up, so not surprising there's all kinds from there.  And yeah, Niagara really sucks other than the falls.

50 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Issue isn't Trump getting a town hall, it's that he's getting it at the exact same time as a pre-scheduled Biden townhall because Trump backed out of the debate. Why make voters make a choice between watching Trump or Biden? How is that good for democracy?

Give Trump all the townhalls he wants, just make it at a different time.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Issue isn't Trump getting a town hall, it's that he's getting it at the exact same time as a pre-scheduled Biden townhall because Trump backed out of the debate. Why make voters make a choice between watching Trump or Biden? How is that good for democracy?

Give Trump all the townhalls he wants, just make it at a different time.

Oh, I don't disagree with you there. I don't know why NBC is doing this, but whatever their reasons, I don't think it's going to help Trump. 

Just now, TrackerNeil said:

Oh, I don't disagree with you there. I don't know why NBC is doing this, but whatever their reasons, I don't think it's going to help Trump. 

Oh I agree - I don't think it will either. I just hate that it's happening. Viewers should get an opportunity to see the contrast.

25 minutes ago, Fez said:

Erie was alright; better than Niagara at least (other than the Falls themselves).

I'm from Fairport/Rochester.  It was Soda or Sodapop

Just now, Mexal said:

Oh I agree - I don't think it will either. I just hate that it's happening. Viewers should get an opportunity to see the contrast.

Given the polls, I think voters already see the contrast. ;-)

(Given the polls, I think The Donald is in real trouble. The plane has yet to lift off, and he's almost out of runway.)

4 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Given the polls, I think voters already see the contrast. ;-)

(Given the polls, I think The Donald is in real trouble. The plane has yet to lift off, and he's almost out of runway.)

I will only say we were saying the same things at this point in 2016.

I’ll breathe easier when the election is called for Biden, not before.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I bet DMC is just bullshitting us about his regional words, like when he tried to sell "bubblers" as a synonym for water pipes a year or two ago. FAKE NEWS

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I bet DMC is just bullshitting us about his regional words, like when he tried to sell "bubblers" as a synonym for water pipes a year or two ago. FAKE NEWS

Just because you're ignorant doesn't make it fake news!  Seriously, just google bubbler.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

@DMC it was a little feature piece on CNBC this morning. Personal income tax changes are usually for the tax year.

I don’t know if @Mlle. Zabzie is following the thread, but she might give more details.

The rethuggy shaggoths broadcasting that if they lose the election there is gonna be tax hell and stimulus package hell to pay? 

But if they win, there will be hell to pay then too.

So ... Lose-Lose for everybody but the already obscenely bloated oligarchs-plutocrats from the Hellmouth.

Archived