Furiosa

SpaceChampion

I've not seen Anya-Taylor Joy in anything, but from looks she looks so model-esque that it's hard for me to see her like Furiosa. Then again, I would say the same thing for Theron and she fucking killed. 

Should we be worried or happy?

I was going to say I loved everything that Anya Taylor Joy has been in, but then I realised I mostly meant The Witch and Thoroughbreds.. and she was good in Split.

also I was getting her mixed up with Mia Wasikowska from Stoker.. they both have that kinda look, but are both great.

As for the movie, yeah as long as it is exactly as good as Fury Road I don't care.

Yeah, she was excellent in The Witch, but that role doesn't really speak Furiosa to me, as such. OTOH, she was Ilyana Rasputin in the badly-reviewed New Mutants film (although I think most of the actors got passes from reviewers, and Taylor-Joy was occasionally highlighted positively), and the trailer at least showed her kicking ass with the Soulsword.

She was also well-received in Emma. I certainly think she could pull off the role of a young Furiosa.

2 hours ago, Kalibear said:

I've not seen Anya-Taylor Joy in anything, but from looks she looks so model-esque that it's hard for me to see her like Furiosa. Then again, I would say the same thing for Theron and she fucking killed. 

Yeah, she's also younger than what I thought they might go for. Maybe this movie is soft, pre-amputee Furiosa hardening into grizzled imperator Furiosa. I'm not terribly high on Chris Hemsworth either when it's not a Marvel movie.

But George Miller is directing which trumps all other concerns as far as I'm concerned. He's earned his right to make this movie however he pleases.

I consider Fury Road my absolute #1 favorite movie of all time, so needless to say I have very high hopes. Taylor-Joy has been strong in what little I've seen her in, and Hemsworth has really grown on me. He'll be able to pull off Gruff Dystopian Dude just fine.

I put on the first ~40 minutes of the movie on my projection screen and crank up my headset to full blast about once a month. 

6 hours ago, Kalibear said:

Happy. I think she looks perfect for the part. Wonder if they'll shave her head or not.

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah, she's also younger than what I thought they might go for. Maybe this movie is soft, pre-amputee Furiosa hardening into grizzled imperator Furiosa. I'm not terribly high on Chris Hemsworth either when it's not a Marvel movie.

But George Miller is directing which trumps all other concerns as far as I'm concerned. He's earned his right to make this movie however he pleases.

He was great in Rush. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wonder if they'll shave her head or not.

I'm almost certain they'll shave her head at some point during the movie.

56 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The one down side I see in Hemsworth in the role is that I think he's incredible as a physical comedy actor and I doubt there's much scope for that in this.

This is true but then at the same time great physical comedy actors can also turn into great actors when given the right opportunity (most obvious example see Jim Carey and I know Hemsworth is no Carey but still).

Just now, polishgenius said:

This is true but then at the same time great physical comedy actors can also turn into great actors when given the right opportunity (most obvious example see Jim Carey and I know Hemsworth is no Carey but still).

Oh I'm not saying I think he'll be bad, just that I'd love to see him do more of those quirky roles and this won't be that. I like him more than Carey in almost everything Carey's done lol.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Oh I'm not saying I think he'll be bad, just that I'd love to see him do more of those quirky roles and this won't be that. I like him more than Carey in almost everything Carey's done lol.

Given how off the rails Fury Road was, they could probably work in a bit of humor for him. 

16 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I agree. Not at all enthusiastic about Chris Hemsworth (that actionfilm he recently did on Netflix was such a bore) and I don't know the actress (although I agree she doesn't look like Theron at all), but if George Miller who has been sitting on this film idea for years wants to do it, I'll see it. 

EDIT: While also hoping Miller will find room to make a crossover with Babe and/or Happy Feet. It needs to be a shared universe damn it!

Actually I think Hemsworth's main skillset that has been exposed by his work in Marvel movies and that god awful Ghostbusters movie, is that he does have good comic timing and is able to not take himself too seriously. Millers movies have a heightened unreal aesthetic and I think Hemsworth could do a decent job in it, given the right role.

Where I really don't think Hemsworth is great is when it comes to more serious acting, really has very little range and I'd worry if the role was too challenging him. Seeing in El Royale recently it really hit me how weak that performance was, and how it could have been made far more interesting by someone else. 

I imagine this is a case where Miller only got the greenlight if he added bankable names like Hemsworth.  Joy can do a stellar job and still be ignored....  Fury Road wasn't a great financial success.  The strength of it might make the prequel successful regardless of the cast, but the studio isn't going to risk that.

I wonder if they'll be filming in Australia and not Africa like Fury Road.  I remember the Australian desert saw a lot of precipitation that year when they tried to film there and the desert was blooming with too much vegetation for Fury Road.  So perhaps Miller was looking at Aussie actors to fill the bankable star spot in an Aussie setting.

It also was a grueling shoot.  Perhaps there were really few options on actors willing to do that given that reputation, and Hemsworth is eager to prove he's not just a comedic blood-bag.

53 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Actually I think Hemsworth's main skillset that has been exposed by his work in Marvel movies and that god awful Ghostbusters movie, is that he does have good comic timing and is able to not take himself too seriously. Millers movies have a heightened unreal aesthetic and I think Hemsworth could do a decent job in it, given the right role.

Where I really don't think Hemsworth is great is when it comes to more serious acting, really has very little range and I'd worry if the role was too challenging him. Seeing in El Royale recently it really hit me how weak that performance was, and how it could have been made far more interesting by someone else. 

I could be wrong, but I thought that's exactly what they wanted him to do in El Royale. That it didn't work is another topic. 

I was doubtful about Hoult in Fury Road going into it, but he was excellent. I have faith that between actor and director, Miller and Hemsworth will create a good character. 

Chris Hemsworth is no thespian but was the announcement of Tom Hardy met with the same scrutiny? Because all the things he's renowned for came out at that same time - 2015+ish. His resume to that point was kinda meh. I had forgotten he was even in Inception. To me his Bane was mediocre. He did seem to overachieve in The Revenant, but again, that was after Fury Road. 

9 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Chris Hemsworth is no thespian but was the announcement of Tom Hardy met with the same scrutiny? Because all the things he's renowned for came out at that same time - 2015+ish. His resume to that point was kinda meh. I had forgotten he was even in Inception. To me his Bane was mediocre. He did seem to overachieve in The Revenant, but again, that was after Fury Road. 

Apart from that people mostly liked him as Bane, so that was fairly renowned even if you didn't, he was fun in Inception and RocknRolla and great in Bronson, Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy, and Warrior, all before Fury Road.

Archived