Furiosa

SpaceChampion

14 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Chris Hemsworth is no thespian but was the announcement of Tom Hardy met with the same scrutiny? Because all the things he's renowned for came out at that same time - 2015+ish. His resume to that point was kinda meh. I had forgotten he was even in Inception. To me his Bane was mediocre. He did seem to overachieve in The Revenant, but again, that was after Fury Road. 

I was stoked by Hardy. He was mesmerizing in Bronson and Warrior. Not to mention he already had a great car movie to his name with Locke ;) His supporting turn in the other films @polishgenius mentioned were also solid. And a lot of people really liked his Bane, which was far and away the best part of the tDKR imo. 

EDIT: Hemsworth on the other hand is one of the more boring MCU characters. That's his claim to fame. And he is indeed weak when it comes to dramatic roles. I think I only saw him as an added value during Ragnarok 

• 2 months later...

Queen's Gambit was one of the best things I've seen all year. 

Hemsworth was impressive in Bad Times at the El Royale.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:21 PM, kairparavel said:

Chris Hemsworth is no thespian but was the announcement of Tom Hardy met with the same scrutiny? Because all the things he's renowned for came out at that same time - 2015+ish. His resume to that point was kinda meh. I had forgotten he was even in Inception. To me his Bane was mediocre. He did seem to overachieve in The Revenant, but again, that was after Fury Road. 

Hardy had also done Bronson, for which he was largely praised.

16 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Hardy had also done Bronson, for which he was largely praised.

And Locke, in which he was fantastic.

And Warrior, where he was particularly stellar and often singled out for praise from critics reviewing the film...

I feel like the idea that Hardy wasn't getting attention until 2015 to be erroneous.

On 10/15/2020 at 6:14 AM, Veltigar said:

I was stoked by Hardy. He was mesmerizing in Bronson and Warrior. Not to mention he already had a great car movie to his name with Locke ;) His supporting turn in the other films @polishgenius mentioned were also solid. And a lot of people really liked his Bane, which was far and away the best part of the tDKR imo. 

EDIT: Hemsworth on the other hand is one of the more boring MCU characters. That's his claim to fame. And he is indeed weak when it comes to dramatic roles. I think I only saw him as an added value during Ragnarok 

I think Hemsworth was one of the most boring MCU guys, but since Ragnarok he's become one of the best.  He's got great comedic timing and once Taika let Thor be funny he excelled.  

Fury Road came at basically the peak of Tom Hardy's career. He had already done Dark Knight Rises, got acclaim for Locke and The Drop. His career basically took off properly after bulking up for Bronson, and at that point got roles in Inception and Tinker Tailor.  He also did Revenant in the same year as Fury Road. 

Since then I think his role choice has dropped off a bit and he's become a bit of a caricature of himself.

I think I said upthread, but Hemsworth is a good comedic actor, but I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he has any dramatic depth. It's basically Action + Comedy = wins for him. Depending on the tone he would be good in a Miller movie.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:00 AM, Ran said:

And Locke, in which he was fantastic.

And Warrior, where he was particularly stellar and often singled out for praise from critics reviewing the film...

I feel like the idea that Hardy wasn't getting attention until 2015 to be erroneous.

Unfortunately Locke largely went under the radar. But, yeah he was great in that. I might need to revisit that one. The Drop was good too.

Haven't seen Warrior yet.

13 hours ago, briantw said:

I think Hemsworth was one of the most boring MCU guys, but since Ragnarok he's become one of the best.  He's got great comedic timing and once Taika let Thor be funny he excelled.  

Damn, this was a blast from the past. He's got some comedy chops, but that still doesn't mean he has the range to pull of something more serious imo. He bored me to tears in that lame ass action movie released on Netflix this year and I have never really gotten anything serious from him.

I hope I get proven wrong of course, but chances are not very great.

32 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Damn, this was a blast from the past. He's got some comedy chops, but that still doesn't mean he has the range to pull of something more serious imo. He bored me to tears in that lame ass action movie released on Netflix this year and I have never really gotten anything serious from him.

His part in Bad Times at The El Royale wasn't a large one, but for an oddly charismatic, despicable, somewhat terrifying movie villain; he pulled it off.

If he's playing a character named "Dementus", I'm guessing it'll be closer to that than whatever he did in the MCU.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I thought he was good as James Hunt in Rush, which was a non-comic role even if it was one that didn't necessarily require a huge range.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

I thought he was good as James Hunt in Rush, which was a non-comic role even if it was one that didn't necessarily require a huge range.

Haven't seen it, I must admit :)

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

His part in Bad Times at The El Royale wasn't a large one, but for an oddly charismatic, despicable, somewhat terrifying movie villain; he pulled it off.

If he's playing a character named "Dementus", I'm guessing it'll be closer to that than whatever he did in the MCU.

I thought he was a perfect dullard in Bad Times at the El Royale, but then that whole movie was forgettable. I think someone here aptly described it as "the kind of film that is meant to be consumed in pieces on an airplane" it doesn't matter at all what you do with  it. 

• 3 months later...

It did occur to me that Chris Hemsworth could very well make a splendid Robert Baratheon, having played one version of him in Thor and another version in Endgame.

Archived