What if Robert had not married Cersei

Mrstrategy

What if Robert had not married Cersei (let's say he refused and/or Jon Arryn does not support it) and instead married someone else.would Robert and his wife had manage to rule and have kids or would Robert or his wife suffer a accident or would their kids born and/or die sickly because of pycelle and Tywin Lannister?

Well if nothing else, the crown won't be able to sustain it's extravagant spending as long without the Lannister loans. I'm sure Tywin would find other ways to subtly undermine Robert as well. 

A lot would depend on whom Robert married. I'm not sure who else would've been an appropriate match for him at that time. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the time of the Sacking of Kings Landing and the state of the realm and splintered loyalties.  There is no other logical marriage to make.  Margaery isn't even born yet I think so Highgarden has nobody to offer, Lyanna is dead, Lysa is not really suitable as you don't marry the older daughter to a Lord and younger daughter to the King though under the circumstances it was at least possible.  I don't think any other great lord had a daughter of age at that time.  Wonder if that was by design or coincidence.  Only option and the best option for peace all rolled into one.

• 4 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:56 AM, Mad King Bolton said:

At the time of the Sacking of Kings Landing and the state of the realm and splintered loyalties.  There is no other logical marriage to make.  Margaery isn't even born yet I think so Highgarden has nobody to offer, Lyanna is dead, Lysa is not really suitable as you don't marry the older daughter to a Lord and younger daughter to the King though under the circumstances it was at least possible.  I don't think any other great lord had a daughter of age at that time.  Wonder if that was by design or coincidence.  Only option and the best option for peace all rolled into one.

Cersei wasn’t the only option and it’s debatable if she was the best option, given that the Lannisters has proven themselves untrustworthy. He probably should have married a Tyrell if Maces sisters weren’t married yet. If they were, he could have married a Hightower since that would bind him to theReach. He already had 5 of the 9 regions of Westeros on his side and Tywin had burned his bridges with the Martells and the Targaryens.

1 hour ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Cersei wasn’t the only option and it’s debatable if she was the best option, given that the Lannisters has proven themselves untrustworthy. He probably should have married a Tyrell if Maces sisters weren’t married yet. If they were, he could have married a Hightower since that would bind him to theReach. He already had 5 of the 9 regions of Westeros on his side and Tywin had burned his bridges with the Martells and the Targaryens.

Yeah, Robert's best choice after Cersei (who is the best choice) would be a woman of Houses Hightower, Redwyne, Tyrell or Rowan. Maybe Randyll Tarly had a sister or cousin somewhere?

Selyse Florent would also be a very good choice if she had got a personality transplant first.

On 10/13/2020 at 4:36 PM, Mrstrategy said:

What if Robert had not married Cersei (let's say he refused and/or Jon Arryn does not support it) and instead married someone else.would Robert and his wife had manage to rule and have kids or would Robert or his wife suffer a accident or would their kids born and/or die sickly because of pycelle and Tywin Lannister?

I don’t think so. Robert was not suitable for the role of a king.  Cersei was cuckolding him but another woman might have done the same. Robert was not going to rule well.  He doesn’t have the temperament for it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

I don’t think so. Robert was not suitable for the role of a king.  Cersei was cuckolding him but another woman might have done the same. Robert was not going to rule well.  He doesn’t have the temperament for it. 

There’s no reason to believe that had he married someone else, he’d have been cuckolded. It’s possible I guess, but it doesn’t seem likely. Robert was tall, gorgeous and arguably the strongest warrior in the realm. It happened, because Cersei’s a spiteful, villain and Jaime is reckless.

Not sure when they married, but Tyrell was loyalist so one of Mace's sisters may have made a good match. Janna Fossoway and Mina Tyrell married a Fossoway and Redwine respectively, and Mace did want a daughter for a queen. maybe a sister would have been good too given the chance. it would heal the fractured realm some, and the Tyrells are richer than the Lannister's by 300 ac. Robert may have still been a leachers alcoholic, but who knows how much his stained marriage with Cersei exacerbated that.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:44 PM, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

Not sure when they married, but Tyrell was loyalist so one of Mace's sisters may have made a good match. Janna Fossoway and Mina Tyrell married a Fossoway and Redwine respectively, and Mace did want a daughter for a queen. maybe a sister would have been good too given the chance. it would heal the fractured realm some, and the Tyrells are richer than the Lannister's by 300 ac. Robert may have still been a leachers alcoholic, but who knows how much his stained marriage with Cersei exacerbated that.

This -  although we don't actually know if the Tyrell sisters were already married at this point.  Also, doesn't Lord Leyton of Hightower have numerous daughters who should be around the right age?

On 3/29/2021 at 4:43 PM, Lee-Sensei said:

There’s no reason to believe that had he married someone else, he’d have been cuckolded. It’s possible I guess, but it doesn’t seem likely. Robert was tall, gorgeous and arguably the strongest warrior in the realm. It happened, because Cersei’s a spiteful, villain and Jaime is reckless.

Robert was going to get fat because the lifestyle of a king was not ideal for him. He was a large man, with a large appetite for life. That would include wine, women, and food. He won’t look good for long.  

7 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Robert was going to get fat because the lifestyle of a king was not ideal for him. He was a large man, with a large appetite for life. That would include wine, women, and food. He won’t look good for long.  

He's still the King though. Just because Cersei is foolishly reckless does not mean other women are. So yeah, it's highly unlikely that Robert would have been cuckholded by a Tyrell or Hightower.

11 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

He was good looking until the Greyjoy Rebellion at the least. That was after 6 years of ruling and being married to Cersei. And he’d probably drink less if he wasn’t married to her. Cersei and Robert didn’t get along, primarily because she’s spiteful. That doesn’t mean that Robert was perfect. But most women in the setting wouldn’t have hated him as much as she did.

On 10/13/2020 at 4:36 PM, Mrstrategy said:

The best queen for the kingdom was someone who would poison Robert as soon as it became evident that he was pushing Westeros deeper and deeper into debt.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:46 AM, Lee-Sensei said:

He was good looking until the Greyjoy Rebellion at the least. That was after 6 years of ruling and being married to Cersei. And he’d probably drink less if he wasn’t married to her. Cersei and Robert didn’t get along, primarily because she’s spiteful. That doesn’t mean that Robert was perfect. But most women in the setting wouldn’t have hated him as much as she did.

Yes, Cersei was spiteful... but I'm pretty sure most other women in her shoes would've hated him just as equally. Robert was still obsessed with the memory of Lyanna, and that, coupled with his drinking and whoring, would've made any wife of his resentful even if she actually gave him a chance, unlike Cersei. Robert wasn't that bad of a guy... he just really isn't marriage material. At all.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:56 PM, Mad King Bolton said:

At the time of the Sacking of Kings Landing and the state of the realm and splintered loyalties.  There is no other logical marriage to make.  Margaery isn't even born yet I think so Highgarden has nobody to offer, Lyanna is dead, Lysa is not really suitable as you don't marry the older daughter to a Lord and younger daughter to the King though under the circumstances it was at least possible.  I don't think any other great lord had a daughter of age at that time.

There's no reason to restrict the potential royal brides to the great houses, though. There are examples of previous Targaryen kings or heirs marrying lesser families, such as Baelor Breakspear wedding to Jena Dondarrion. And there's always the option to marry a noblewoman from the free cities.

7 hours ago, Matahari said:

Yes, Cersei was spiteful... but I'm pretty sure most other women in her shoes would've hated him just as equally. Robert was still obsessed with the memory of Lyanna, and that, coupled with his drinking and whoring, would've made any wife of his resentful even if she actually gave him a chance, unlike Cersei. Robert wasn't that bad of a guy... he just really isn't marriage material. At all.

A royal marriage is not (or doesn't need to be) a love marriage. There would be plenty of noble women who wouldn't mind at all that Robert drunk and whored around. In fact, we know of several examples of real-life historical queens that happily took the responsibility of procuring young lovers to her royal husbands.

One could also argue that if Robert had married someone not as poisonous and narcissistic as Cersei, he might have drunk and whored less. After all, one of the reasons he did that is because of his unhappiness, and it can't be denied that a big part of his unhappiness was due to Cersei. Another woman may have even exerted some positive influence that could have turned him from an awful king to a mediocre one.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:36 PM, Mrstrategy said:

Tywin would have backed Viserys, it’s the whole reason behind the CerseixRobert match .

3 hours ago, Kolx said:

Tywin would have backed Viserys, it’s the whole reason behind the CerseixRobert match .

As long as North, Riverlands, Stormlands and Vale coalition is active Tywin  cannot openly challenge that. Besides Viserys almost certainly would not like a man who just sacked capitol of his dynasty and slaughtered many of his kin. 

On 4/7/2021 at 9:13 PM, Matahari said:

I seriously doubt it. Robert didn’t seem to bring Lyanna up much. And cheating was much more accepted in Westeros. Part of the reason for his sleeping around was probably that Cersei refused to sleep with him. And he probably drank excessively in part to deal with her.

"My late husband loved the forest too." In the early years of their marriage, Robert was forever imploring her to hunt with him, but Cersei had always begged off. His hunting trips allowed her time with Jaime. Golden days and silver nights. It was a dangerous dance that they had danced, to be sure. Eyes and ears were everywhere within the Red Keep, and one could never be certain when Robert would return. Somehow the peril had only served to make their times together that much more thrilling. "Still, beauty can sometimes mask deadly danger," she warned the little queen. "Robert lost his life in the woods."

Go and hunt, Cersei had urged Robert, half a hundred times. My brother keeps me well protected.

"Do you see that window, ser?" Jaime used a sword to point. "That was Raymun Darry's bedchamber. Where King Robert slept on our return from Winterfell. Ned Stark's daughter had run off after her wolf had savaged Joff, you'll recall. My sister wanted the girl to lose a hand... Robert told her she was cruel & mad. They fought for half the night, well, Cersei fought, and Robert drank.

Archived