Fat Walda: Pawn or Player?

Reekazoid

So in this delightful thread, someone mentioned that Freys are born to play the Game of Thrones, and specifically called out Big Walder (the little one) and Fat Walda as prime examples. 

This idea somehow really fascinates me. She seems innocuous to me, maybe somewhere in the Sylvia Spottiswood — Miranda Royce tier at best, by which I mean doing her best to secure a spot for herself by attaching to bigger players, but without a serious ambition of her own.  

While BWs machinations are clear to me from the text, FWs sort of escaped me. I know about her relaying messages for Lord Walder and Rose, but what else did I miss ?

Please, educate me.  

I have no thoughts on fat Walda, I doubt she's a player but if someone comes with evidence I might be convinced. But Randa Royce is def a player.

What I found interesting about Fat Walda is Roose's seeming satisfaction with her.  He actually seems to like her.  Well, I reckon if he got a bag of silver and a pleasing wife it's a good thing.  But you have to ask yourself what sort of woman would please Roose Bolton?  Ick.   Walda doesn't come off as a player, but have we even had 4 words from her or any report other than Roose's?  Based on Roose's report she may well be a player.  

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

What I found interesting about Fat Walda is Roose's seeming satisfaction with her.  He actually seems to like her.  Well, I reckon if he got a bag of silver and a pleasing wife it's a good thing.  But you have to ask yourself what sort of woman would please Roose Bolton?  Ick.   Walda doesn't come off as a player, but have we even had 4 words from her or any report other than Roose's?  Based on Roose's report she may well be a player.  

She makes fun of Edmure's dick at the Red Wedding. "I'll wager it's a minnow!" 

But other than that I can't recall any other lines from her. 

And Roose only speaks fondly about her because she squeals and giggles in bed which his past wives never did. 

11 hours ago, Khal Eazy said:

She makes fun of Edmure's dick at the Red Wedding. "I'll wager it's a minnow!" 

But other than that I can't recall any other lines from her. 

And Roose only speaks fondly about her because she squeals and giggles in bed which his past wives never did. 

5 words, who could imagine.  Thanks for dropping that in.  

She could have the best brains in the family but the occasion has not been there to give her light a chance to shine.  FW is darkened by the shadows of black Walder and Lothar.  The north may give her a chance to show her stuff.  It will show if she's got the stuff to really play the game.  

She's Roose Bolton's wife for now.  The status quo puts Ramsey as the next in line to head the family.  A son could shake things up. I want to see how she handles Ramsay's cruel games.  She did her small bit for the red wedding but it is hard to see her as somebody who would get a kick out of torturing people.  I would be fine with FW and her son ruling the North after Roose dies.  

7 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

She could have the best brains in the family but the occasion has not been there to give her light a chance to shine.  FW is darkened by the shadows of black Walder and Lothar.  The north may give her a chance to show her stuff.  It will show if she's got the stuff to really play the game.  

She's Roose Bolton's wife for now.  The status quo puts Ramsey as the next in line to head the family.  A son could shake things up. I want to see how she handles Ramsay's cruel games.  She did her small bit for the red wedding but it is hard to see her as somebody who would get a kick out of torturing people.  I would be fine with FW and her son ruling the North after Roose dies.  

You had me in such agreement up to that last line.  Let's look at that.  A Frey-Bolton ruling the North.  It's not fitting.  I can't even see Wyman Manderly, who actually has something to offer the North, ruling the North.  I don't hate or like Fat Walda.  She's just another sold off daughter among many.  Deep cut D level player perhaps?  I don't know, she's getting a really raw deal with Roose and Ramsay and it's not actually her fault.  The North doesn't like the Freys.  I doubt Lady Bolton or her child will get far in the North if they are not slaughtered right off the bat in Stannis' moves on Winterfell.  I hate it when GRRM does that.  

Archived