Sending Euron to the Wall

rotting sea cow

I've saw in the Other thread that Balon should have sent Euron to the Wall after he raped Victarion's wife.

What would have happened in that case? I think it can make an interesting what-if thread.

We know that Euron has no qualms breaking traditions, moral or taboos, so the NW oaths mean nothing to him. We know that Euron was already interested in magic and stuff before his journeys, probably being a warg. We know he can fake his intentions and be actually a palatable leader.  We know that the Wall is a magic place that can enhance people's powers. We know that there are weirder things beyond the Wall, including the Others. Etc

I think Euron wouldn't have been so displeased with the perspective and would have likely become a the LC of the NW (after killing Jeor of course) and maybe becoming some sort of Night's King. 

Ideas?

there is cold at the wall, food and beverages are poor and just a few prostitutes in the mole's town, so I guess if the power enhancement lured him, he would like to charge his batteries as fast as possible, drop the mask and call himself night king to have fun & party hard. Or leave. No studying and pretending for years, self sacrifice is boring. Left hand path.

I think it is possible the 3eyed crow had called him, but he refused to come.

2 hours ago, broken one said:

think it is possible the 3eyed crow had called him, but he refused to come.

@Megorovawould pop in and say that the 3EC is Shiera/Quaithe and Euron's crow's eye was/is her third eye. I agree a lot with her about Shiera due to compelling arguments, but this is sceptical.

But if he was bored, he would have deserted in an hour with scores of others (the human others). Taken ships from Eastwatch after killing Cotter Pyke. Sailed to explore the Artic Sea. The Shivering Sea I meant. 

6 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

I think Euron wouldn't have been so displeased with the perspective and would have likely become a the LC of the NW (after killing Jeor of course) and maybe becoming some sort of Night's King. 

Ideas?

He wouldn't have been satisfied with becoming a mere LC of the NW. Have you read The Forsaken chapter from TWOW? He has higher ambitions than even the Seastone Chair, he wants Iron Throne, and he knows how to get it. So him wasting his time at The Wall is unlikely.

42 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Your best case scenario is that Euron would just steal one of the Night's Watch ships and go that route to playing pirate

I said the same, but more along the lines of the entire fleet after sacking Eastwatch

The obvious parallel that we hear about in the novels is Harren Hoare's brother who took the black for unknown reasons and rose to become the Lord Commander. Though there's really too much we don't know about Lord Commander Hoare to draw any conclusions about what it might mean for Euron at the wall. We don't even know his name.

As others have said, for Euron to go to the wall, or to stay there, he would have to want to be at the wall. It may be that the position of Lord Commander of the Night's Watch carries with it some mythic power that a well-learned person like Euron could make use of: such a power would go a long way to explain why someone as invested in the Mythic game as Bloodraven or Harren Hoare (via proxy) would seek to control the title. Or maybe the position at the wall is useful simply because of the wall's magical properties, and becoming LC was just a means to control their environment. Or for those who know what the Others are and what's coming, perhaps they seek out the position to plan for their coming, either to fight them off or to make a deal with them. All of these reasons could potentially apply to Euron.

I think the people on the thread are confusing Euron nuts that we have now, that went to Valirya and a bunch of other magical places, had contact with alchimist and faceless men, and spend several years on the sea, to the Euron before the exile, that would not have much contact with magic, would not have that much experience or touch with magic or travelled that far, and was just a lunatic that liked to bully his younger brothers.

I agree that he would not stay on the wall for long, if he is sent to eastwatch he would probably steal a ship a desert the watch, but how would he sail without a crew I have no idea. If he stays on Black castle he would flee, but where? Flee south and Ned is there to behead him, flee north alone and the wildlings or the cold would get him.

@TedBear, there was an essay, the first essay I saw at any rate, detailing exactly these points.  This was before The Forsaken was read.  Euron makes a statement about having dreams he could fly but his Maester or someone told him he could not.  He's got different colored eyes and there is an idea that Bloodraven "approached" all the special kids early on.  Any of them with greensight.    All I can tell you is @DarkSister1001 authored it some years back.  More eloquently than I can explain it in far better detail.  I cannot do it justice, but I think the argument is very persuasive.    

Could be The Wall isn't an Ironborn approved punishment.  Perhaps Euron's exile was for a specific period of time.  I could see a ruthless culture like the IB sentencing a prince to exile with no fleet to protect him.  Rough waters all over the place and a sure death sentence if I ever heard one.  But they had to know it wouldn't work.  As bad as Euron is we know from Aeron he was a nasty piece of work before any wife killing took place.   Balon had to know what he had in this guy.  An admitted kinslayer, Euron sure seemed to enjoy terrorizing his people, his brothers in particular.   Makes me wonder what he pulled with Balon.  After exile Euron seems to have become something of a boogey man to Theon and Asha.  

I think the OP is right in supposing Euron would have zero regard for any vows the Nights Watch would demand.  

Final opinion (of mine, lol) about Euron getting sent to the Wall is as follows. Posted something contradictory (felt so), that’s why. I normally avoid what-if threads, but the occasional interesting one like this is nice to dip an oar into from time to time.

Euron goes to the Wall, assuming he doesn’t escape en route or even before. He isn’t the sort of man who’d be charming (hiding the venom below) and patient to become another NK. He’d desert at the first opportunity with 50 more A-holes, kill Mance and/or Tormund and become their King (beyond-the-Wall) and lead them (the worst of the wildlings who give the rest a bad name by raping and looting, the Weeper, Alfyn Crowkiller, Harma bitchhead, Varamyr etc.) to ambush Eastwatch and kill Cotter Pyke before stealing all the vessels to cross the Shivering Sea and conquer the Others’ Heart of Winter. Or something even more mad. Remember that he isn’t exiled in this alternate, what-if scenario, so no dragon dreams.

9 hours ago, TedBear said:

Why do people say Euron is a skinchanger? Just for curiosity. 

8 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

@TedBear, there was an essay, the first essay I saw at any rate, detailing exactly these points.  This was before The Forsaken was read.  Euron makes a statement about having dreams he could fly but his Maester or someone told him he could not.  He's got different colored eyes and there is an idea that Bloodraven "approached" all the special kids early on.  Any of them with greensight.    All I can tell you is @DarkSister1001 authored it some years back.  More eloquently than I can explain it in far better detail.  I cannot do it justice, but I think the argument is very persuasive.    

Just to add some points, 

Euron stood by the window, drinking from a silver cup. He wore the sable cloak he took from Blacktyde, his red leather eye patch, and nothing else. "When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly," he announced. "When I woke, I couldn't . . . or so the maester said. But what if he lied?"

Victarion could smell the sea through the open window, though the room stank of wine and blood and sex. The cold salt air helped to clear his head. "What do you mean?"

Euron turned to face him, his bruised blue lips curled in a half smile. "Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower?" The wind came gusting through the window and stirred his sable cloak. There was something obscene and disturbing about his nakedness. "No man ever truly knows what he can do unless he dares to leap."

"A boy dreamt that (he) could fly". To me, that passage screams Brans asoiaf voyage. Compounded with his love of crows and that blue l.s.d slushy he chugs like water, well it brings some questions about his magical abilities.

Which brings us to the Dusky Woman, the mute who Victarion mistrusts as Eurons agent whom he shares all his schemes and plots with... And his bed. Which is so bizarrely hysterical when the dots start to get connected, although it quickly becomes more bizarre then hysterical when we bring up the rusty hinges

8 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Could be The Wall isn't an Ironborn approved punishment. 

Doubtful. Theon never thinks that. Plus out of our limited knowledge of crows, Cotter Pyke and Black Harrens brother are among the most noticeable

15 minutes ago, R2D said:

Yeah I think it was probably consensual and he seduced her, that's why Victarion is so hung up about it.

Or she seduced him.

Victarion looked at his fists. "She gave me horns. I had no choice." Had it been known, men would have laughed at me, as the Crow's Eye laughed when I confronted him. "She came to me wet and willing," he had boasted. "It seems Victarion is big everywhere but where it matters." But he could not tell her that.

"I am sorry for you," said Asha, "and sorrier for her . . .

Victarion blames his wife still, since she was the one who apparently instigated the affair. 

7 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Just to add some points, 

"A boy dreamt that (he) could fly". To me, that passage screams Brans asoiaf voyage. Compounded with his love of crows and that blue l.s.d slushy he chugs like water, well it brings some questions about his magical abilities.

Which brings us to the Dusky Woman, the mute who Victarion mistrusts as Eurons agent whom he shares all his schemes and plots with... And his bed. Which is so bizarrely hysterical when the dots start to get connected, although it quickly becomes more bizarre then hysterical when we bring up the rusty hinges

Doubtful. Theon never thinks that. Plus out of our limited knowledge of crows, Cotter Pyke and Black Harrens brother are among the most noticeable

Ah very nice points.  Thank you for adding the pertinent quotes, etal.  

To the Wall, in fairness Theon actually thinks the Wall is a viable option.  He has been with the Starks since he was only 9 years old.   I did not understand criminal penalty at that age and it is apparent that Theon is deeply influenced by Stark traditions.  (Gads, perhaps that's why he says he's named for the Hungry Wolf???)  I thought about the IB we know are at the Wall and assumed they were "punished" on the mainland.   It's just an assumption, but we get nothing about the wall from Asha, Victarion or Aeron.   They all ponder punishment to varying degrees.  

59 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Ah very nice points.  Thank you for adding the pertinent quotes, etal.  

To the Wall, in fairness Theon actually thinks the Wall is a viable option.  He has been with the Starks since he was only 9 years old.   I did not understand criminal penalty at that age and it is apparent that Theon is deeply influenced by Stark traditions.  (Gads, perhaps that's why he says he's named for the Hungry Wolf???)  I thought about the IB we know are at the Wall and assumed they were "punished" on the mainland.   It's just an assumption, but we get nothing about the wall from Asha, Victarion or Aeron.   They all ponder punishment to varying degrees.  

Thats true. But when Theon watches Ser Rodrick lose hes very relieved he didnt decide to take the black like when Aemon asked, so he never had that crows=awesome vibe like Jon  Bran and the girls did

Its possible that Pyke was punished from RR, or just classic ironborn reaving, but Harren the blacks brother whos name was also Harren and wound up taking the black (lol so confusing!) almost certainly did not due too punishment from the greenlands.

His brother was the greatest king ever, until Aegon burned him alive and took that title, so I dont see the man saying the words in fear of lesser kings and princes. I also dont see him saying the words over a small crime, theyre ironborn after all, where small crimes is more like recreation. So its gotta be something major, rape or murder of a loved one perhaps or maybe just classic treason. This helps explain the ironborns fear of kinslaying, why the nw took no part in Aegons war and that ironborn historically seem to have respect for the nw institution

5 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Thats true. But when Theon watches Ser Rodrick lose hes very relieved he didnt decide to take the black like when Aemon asked, so he never had that crows=awesome vibe like Jon  Bran and the girls did

Its possible that Pyke was punished from RR, or just classic ironborn reaving, but Harren the blacks brother whos name was also Harren and wound up taking the black (lol so confusing!) almost certainly did not due too punishment from the greenlands.

His brother was the greatest king ever, until Aegon burned him alive and took that title, so I dont see the man saying the words in fear of lesser kings and princes. I also dont see him saying the words over a small crime, theyre ironborn after all, where small crimes is more like recreation. So its gotta be something major, rape or murder of a loved one perhaps or maybe just classic treason. This helps explain the ironborns fear of kinslaying, why the nw took no part in Aegons war and that ironborn historically seem to have respect for the nw institution

Good point about Theon's relief.  

Now I assumed that Harren's brother was sent to the Wall because he was Harren's brother from the mainland, specifically by his brother--also an entrenched mainlander!  Ah, this crazy story...

17 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Good point about Theon's relief.  

Now I assumed that Harren's brother was sent to the Wall because he was Harren's brother from the mainland, specifically by his brother--also an entrenched mainlander!  Ah, this crazy story...

Harren certainly owned more land and people in the greenlands then at home, but he was still ironborn to the core with his array or thralls and salt wives.

I agree that Harren sent his brother to the wall, as no one else seems possible of it, but im sure it was for a reason. Not just that he was born from a salt wife greenlander, which i think your alluding to but this is the first time ive ever heard that

Archived