US Politics: Town Hell

Kalbear

Biden can feel and project empathy really well.  It might be his biggest strength as a politician.  The other times he ran for president, noone particularly cared about that ability, but they do now.

Just now, Chataya de Fleury said:

I loved the random but appropriate “Inshallah” at the debate

That he finishes each time by at least acknowledging he hoped to have answered the question directly to the person who asked...

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

Sure! But the problem is that there is no one else and Trump is eating all the airtime. Not just from Fox either - I've counted how many days that the news bulletin on NPR doesn't lead with "Trump" as one of the first 5 words, and it's something like 1 in 20. On NPR! No one is around right now to replace that.

I just think it's ridiculous to assume this will be the case after he loses and there's 4 years when the media will obviously turn its attention to the Biden presidency - including the rightwing media.  But whatever, we're going in circles, agree to disagree.  You keep on saying there's no one else as if there's supposed to be an heir apparent right now.  I mean, I guess it could be Pence, but I think we both agree he's a paper tiger and would lose (the primary even) regardless if Trump ran again or not.

4 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I don't think he has ever been or is capable of feeling humiliation

Oh he quite obviously felt humiliation when Obama roasted him at the correspondents dinner.  I still suspect that was the main reason he ran in the first place.  As for him being a narcissist and what it means for his behavior, I'm not going to pretend to be a psychologist.

6 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

And what does Trump's past behavior imply about what he'll do next? Does it imply he'll go away? Does it imply that he'll act at all humiliated?

Well, we have his business failures and how he moves on to the next project when that happens.  That's essentially his entire adult life.  So, yeah, there's that past behavior that implies he will cut and run from a failed endeavor.  I'd say it's pretty substantial.

6 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Oookay, now T's rambling, right after a pro Dreamer (!) question by a Republican woman who loved his smile ...

Watching more kung fu shit was the right call.

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Wine and steroids tend to have the same effect on me :P woooooot 

Who are Mark and Sammy?

Ever heard of baseball?

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

I just think it's ridiculous to assume this will be the case after he loses and there's 4 years when the media will obviously turn its attention to the Biden presidency - including the rightwing media.  But whatever, we're going in circles, agree to disagree.  You keep on saying there's no one else as if there's supposed to be an heir apparent right now.  I mean, I guess it could be Pence, but I think we both agree he's a paper tiger and would lose (the primary even) regardless if Trump ran again or not.

Pence isn't anything. No one cares about him except as a way to give blood to Trump. 

I don't know that it'll be the case, but the idea that Trump is just going to disappear given how much media he has and how many actual fanatics he has seems very unreasonable. No one was Romney's huge fan. No one adored McCain. Trump isn't like that, and you discount that behavior at your peril.

perhaps other countries would be better illustrations. Did Berlusconi disappear?

Oh he quite obviously felt humiliation when Obama roasted him at the correspondents dinner.  I still suspect that was the main reason he ran in the first place.  As for him being a narcissist and what it means for his behavior, I'm not going to pretend to be a psychologist.

I don't think he was humiliated. He was enraged. And that's the reaction a narcissist has to that kind of thing. That's how they react to rejection. 

Well, we have his business failures and how he moves on to the next project when that happens.  That's essentially his entire adult life.  So, yeah, there's that past behavior that implies he will cut and run from a failed endeavor.  I'd say it's pretty substantial.

There's a rub here - he's cut and run when he gets paid off. And before he gets paid off, he fights absurdly hard until people pay him to leave because he's so annoying. Deutsche Bank paid him essentially a quarter of a billion dollars simply to not deal with his contract any more. 

So I could see that sort of thing happening - if he got a big enough contract to do some media thing and get out of politics, I bet he would. But otherwise? Doubtful. 

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

The response to the mother of the trans kid was really rehearsed, and Pete Buttigieg would have been able to give a MUCH better answer, but Pete will have a Cabinet role, so it’s all good.

All the answers are rehearsed.

Let's see, one of the candidates actually replies to the questions, knows his stuff and is empathetic.  And I'm still worried this won't matter.  Whole, coherent,  on-topic sentences? Damn elitist Washington establishment!

I honestly didn't have the impression the transgender topic mde him uncomfortable. Even though Buttigieg would obviously know more about the topic. Of course I could be wrong. I wouldn't care as long as his advisors/ secretary are knowledgeable.

I think she meant uncomfortable as in 'not naturally able to talk to' and not 'doesn't like the subject'. 

But really, him saying "I'll change the law because it's an executive order" was a perfect response.

I really really liked his thoughtfulness of what he'll do if he loses. That was a very interesting question and he gave a really heartful response. 

11 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I don't know that it'll be the case, but the idea that Trump is just going to disappear given how much media he has and how many actual fanatics he has seems very unreasonable.

I never said he'd disappear.  In fact I acknowledged multiple times he wouldn't.  All I said is eventually he might get bored of it because he's old, entitled, lazy, and in ill health.  Do you disagree that he's not all of those things?

14 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I don't think he was humiliated.

If you watch that video and don't think he was clearly humiliated...well, agree to disagree.  And again, stop acting like you're an expert on what someone with narcissistic personality disorder would do and then further asserting that dictates Trump's political behavior.  Even professional psychologists would be reticent to make that diagnosis to someone they've never met let alone contend that diagnosis can predict his future political behavior (unless they wanted to get a quote/citation in some half-informed article about Trump).

7 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Biden took another test today ("It's just decency"), so is he out of the woods now as far as the first debate is concened?

Probably. It's been almost 10 days now, so chances are very good that it's not an issue. 

6 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I was at a convention where a former Federal Reserve chair wouldn’t even take the time to sign my kid’s event program.

Has a geekier sentence ever been written on the whole internet?

Archived