US Politics: Town Hell

Kalbear

33 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Going back to the Larry Hogan writing in Zombie Reagan.

It doesn'T really make much of a difference, whether he votes Biden or not. Maryland is (supposedly) not exactly a swing state. Biden is supposed to carry that state easily. If Biden really needed Hogan's vote/endorsement to win it, then his campaign would've a lot more to worry about than the Ron Zombie vote.

Ofc, Hogan could'Ve easily put his vote, where his mouth is, but like I said, Maryland is not a swing state. If he had pulled that stunt in Ohio, I would get the outrage.

If a random Republican wants to write in a dead race baiting reactionary President instead of the living race baiting reactionary President I can shrug and say it's one less vote in favor for the present danger, so basically a good thing.

It just gets under my skin for a politician to be such a coward though. I feel any politician owes it to their constituents to be honest about their views. Larry Hogan does not truly expect Reagan to be elected President. He should be honest about what he means by his symbolic vote. Does he prefer Trump to Biden but wants to ineffectually scold Trump by writing in Reagan? Or does he prefer Biden to Trump but wants to ineffectually support Biden by writing in Reagan? His personal vote doesn't matter either way, but he's a public figure and he should own his view, whatever it is. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/16/politics/trump-russia-declassification-lawsuit/index.html

This is interesting a judge has demanded to know if he President does or doesn't want to declassify all Mueller probe documents, as Trump keeps tweeting that he has done this. He is not accepting white house counsel to argue one way in court while Trump tweets something else.

It is a pity this issue couldn't have been brought to a head earlier in the presidency of the great liar. 

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I meant the zombie part is played out, come up with some other way dead Reagan has returned.  Maybe Stephen "Draco" Miller found the resurrection stone.

Only someone who wanted to find the stone, find it but not use it, would be able to get it. That's why Ben Carson has had it in his pocket this whole time.

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

Only someone who wanted to find the stone, find it but not use it, would be able to get it.

This could work for Miller.  He wanted to prevent those dastardly never Trumpers from resurrecting Reagan due to his worship of Trump, but has lost faith at the eleventh hour.

59 minutes ago, DMC said:

I meant the zombie part is played out, come up with some other way dead Reagan has returned.  Maybe Stephen "Draco" Miller found the resurrection stone.

They need Saban. Only he can be safe, sick, and then healthy again in just 24 hours because, Idk, reasons? 

Also, isn't there a guy named zombie in a fight this weekend?

Apparently Rupert Murdoch is convinced Trump is done, according to accounts the NY Times has gotten from people in his circle.

It feels like the people you need to be onboard for an overturning of the election not actually being onboard for it is a problem for the theory that the results can be flipped. The gap in the votes is just going to be too large for shenanigans to surmount, or so believe Murdoch and GOP insiders.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Apparently Rupert Murdoch is convinced Trump is done, according to accounts the NY Times has gotten from people in his circle.

It feels like the people you need to be onboard for an overturning of the election not actually being onboard for it is a problem for the theory that the results can be flipped. The gap in the votes is just going to be too large for shenanigans to surmount, or so believe Murdoch and GOP insiders.

I don't mean to say this in bad taste, but I am very much surprised that he's still alive.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Pretty sure Murdoch thought the same thing about Trump in 2016

Just now, Kalibear said:

Pretty sure Murdoch thought the same thing about Trump in 2016

It's still further evidence that if Trump loses FNC isn't going to continue to prop him up (other than take his calls on Fox & Friends), which is what you were asserting yesterday.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

It's still further evidence that if Trump loses FNC isn't going to continue to prop him up (other than take his calls on Fox & Friends), which is what you were asserting yesterday.

It's possible. But that 'loses' word is doing a lot of heavy lifting. If Trump is fighting against the election for the next 6 months to a year, I doubt Fox is going to drop him at all.

It's also not entirely clear how much Trump depends on Fox any more to get his info out. I'm honestly not sure how important it is to him any more. It's probably still something - but I suspect facebook and twitter are more important, and he could probably just take over OANN or some bullshit and make them compete with Fox. 

Just now, Kalibear said:

It's possible. But that 'loses' word is doing a lot of heavy lifting. If Trump is fighting against the election for the next 6 months to a year, I doubt Fox is going to drop him at all.

No, losing is "doing a lot of the heavy lifting" in your perpetually pessimistic perspective.  As was discussed yesterday, if he loses convincingly, it don't matter how much or how long Trump "fights" it.  And the GOP leadership is not going to have patience for him to continue fighting - whatever that means but especially legally - for 6 months let alone a year in such a case, that's absurd.  But like I said, if he only loses by 100-200k votes in the EC a la Hillary, I agree he could have more staying power.

As for him finding other outlets other than FNC, sure!  Great job changing the goalposts, but it's probably very likely he marginalizes himself by going to OANN or whatever.  It'll give him a platform to keep whining and get his ass kissed, undoubtedly, but it's definitely not gonna help any 2024 prospects he may have.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, losing is "doing a lot of the heavy lifting" in your perpetually pessimistic perspective.  As was discussed yesterday, if he loses convincingly, it don't matter how much or how long Trump "fights" it.  And the GOP leadership is not going to have patience for him to continue fighting - whatever that means but especially legally - for 6 months let alone a year in such a case, that's absurd.  But like I said, if he only loses by 100-200k votes in the EC a la Hillary, I agree he could have more staying power. 

I think you really underestimate how annoying Trump can be and how many people will be behind him, but I guess the phrase is 'agree to disagree' here. 

As for him finding other outlets other than FNC, sure!  Great job changing the goalposts, but it's probably very likely he marginalizes himself by going to OANN or whatever.  It'll give him a platform to keep whining and get his ass kissed, undoubtedly, but it's definitely not gonna help any 2024 prospects he may have.

I didn't change the goalposts - I've always said that the media isn't going to make him go away, and it's not just Fox there. ETA: I said this earlier:

Sure! But the problem is that there is no one else and Trump is eating all the airtime. Not just from Fox either - I've counted how many days that the news bulletin on NPR doesn't lead with "Trump" as one of the first 5 words, and it's something like 1 in 20. On NPR! No one is around right now to replace that.

In other news, let's kidnap more mayors 

3 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I didn't change the goalposts - I've always said that the media isn't going to make him go away, and it's not just Fox there. 

23 hours ago, Kalibear said:

I think you're really more than anything assuming that Republicans - and especially Trump Republicans - are going to take the loss as something legitimate. I think that was true of everyone else before - Romney, McCain, Dole, GHWB. Trump will not do that, and he has enough pull that they won't let him off the hook. 

Now, I do say this with one caveat. If Fox somehow found someone more entertaining who also attacked Trump? They'd turn on Trump in an instant. But good luck with that.

Seems pretty clear your "caveat" here was Fox "turning on him," which now you are conceding and claiming it doesn't really matter because he'll find another outlet - 23 hours after you argued how much Fox's support did matter.  Sounds like moving the goalposts to me.  

Just now, DMC said:

Seems pretty clear your "caveat" here was Fox "turning on him," which now you are conceding and claiming it doesn't really matter because he'll find another outlet - 23 hours after you argued how much Fox's support did matter.  Sounds like moving the goalposts to me.  

I said that once - I used ' the media' 4 other times, and I referenced NPR as much as I referenced Fox. Go back and check if you like - I just did to make sure I wasn't. Again:
"Sure! But the problem is that there is no one else and Trump is eating all the airtime. Not just from Fox either - I've counted how many days that the news bulletin on NPR doesn't lead with "Trump" as one of the first 5 words, and it's something like 1 in 20. On NPR! No one is around right now to replace that."

Fox is important, but it's certainly not the only thing that is propping him up, and other agencies are going to be hard pressed to fill that void even if they're hate-posting articles and news about him. And Trump is if anything going to escalate his behavior to get even more 'ratings', because that's what he understands works. If I wasn't clear enough back then I apologize, because in my mind it's never been just about Fox - it's about Trump's domination of all the media out there and their addiction to him. Facebook has an entire cottage industry around him too. Twitter definitely does. NYT and WaPo aren't going to be doing pulitzer winning deep dives into the habits of Biden or his assaults of 17 women. 

12 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I think you really underestimate how annoying Trump can be and how many people will be behind him, but I guess the phrase is 'agree to disagree' here. 

I didn't change the goalposts - I've always said that the media isn't going to make him go away, and it's not just Fox there. ETA: I said this earlier:

In other news, let's kidnap more mayors 

This is where folks elsewhere say “f*** these guys in the US are f*****g nuts”.

Just now, Kalibear said:

Fox is important, but it's certainly not the only thing that is propping him up, and other agencies are going to be hard pressed to fill that void even if they're hate-posting articles and news about him. And Trump is if anything going to escalate his behavior to get even more 'ratings', because that's what he understands works. If I wasn't clear enough back then I apologize, because in my mind it's never been just about Fox - it's about Trump's domination of all the media out there and their addiction to him. Facebook has an entire cottage industry around him too. Twitter definitely does. NYT and WaPo aren't going to be doing pulitzer winning deep dives into the habits of Biden or his assaults of 17 women. 

If you think the "mainstream" or liberal media is going to continue to cover Trump's whining about the election years into a Biden presidency, then yes, we are certainly at an impasse.  Unless he's literally being prosecuted, he is not going to get anything approaching the coverage from mainstream outlets he currently gets - or got during the 2016 campaign.  No former president would.  That's plainly obvious.

18 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I do think it's important to keep this in mind. It may be Trump's best skill, being an annoying moron who still knows he's dealing from a stacked deck financially. 

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

As was discussed yesterday, if he loses convincingly, it don't matter how much or how long Trump "fights" it.  And the GOP leadership is not going to have patience for him to continue fighting -

Hard to say. Rationally, no and I agree, but rational is a drink spiked with bleach. And the GOP does know their base likes Trump and his batshit crazy more than they've loved any argument they've tried to make for, what, five or six decades? 

Archived