US Politics: Town Hell

Kalbear

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And the GOP does know their base likes Trump and his batshit crazy more than they've loved any argument they've tried to make for, what, five or six decades? 

Well, Trump's argument was being made by Pat Buchanan 28 years ago.  The difference is more people have adopted it as the GOP becomes more polarized and increasingly white males.  But there've been champions of that argument before Trump and there will be champions of that argument after Trump.  More importantly, the GOP - and particularly the media - will undoubtedly be switching scrutiny to the Biden presidency and how they're going to possibly get us out of this mess.  Just like they did with Obama in 2009.

Gotta say, it's very amusing how scared y'all are and give credit to a deranged decrepit incompetent septuagenarian.  "Even if he loses, he's gonna come back!  Don't say his name!  Pretty sure he created six horcruxes for 2024!!!"

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, Trump's argument was being made by Pat Buchanan 28 years ago.  The difference is more people have adopted it as the GOP becomes more polarized and increasingly white males.  But there've been champions of that argument before Trump and there will be champions of that argument after Trump.  More importantly, the GOP - and particularly the media - will undoubtedly be switching scrutiny to the Biden presidency and how they're going to possibly get us out of this mess.  Just like they did with Obama in 2009.

But at the time, Buchanan didn't know he actually had the majority of the party on his side. For a long time the, well frankly, nbuts part of the party has just needed a whistle to feel good. Now they know they're in charge. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

But at the time, Buchanan didn't know he actually had the majority of the party on his side.

Right, that's cuz he didn't at the time.  That's what I meant by increased polarization/extremism of the GOP due to its electorate increasingly relying almost solely on white males.  But that simply emphasizes Trump is just one standard-bearer of that toxic strain within the American public.  They will move on to others, that are almost certainly gonna be worse and more competent.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Gotta say, it's very amusing how scared y'all are and give credit to a deranged decrepit incompetent septuagenarian.  "Even if he loses, he's gonna come back!  Don't say his name!  Pretty sure he created six horcruxes for 2024!!!"

He's a deranged decrepit incompetent septuagenarian who also happens to have about 60 million people in the US who will vote for him and probably 20 million of those people who actively love him for all of those things and more. Not just 'will tolerate him for reasons' but actively, happily, insanely love the guy. 

It's not Trump specifically I'm afraid of. It's that he will, even after he's gone from being a POTUS, have a very sizable amount of very rabid supporters that no other candidate will have, and those rabid supporters are going to vote in primaries and give him a base that is hard to deal with.

I don't honestly know why that doesn't scare you. Perhaps you've not dealt with NPD people who have terrorized you before. Perhaps you're just assuming he'll be just like other politicians and not do much after he lost. Perhaps you think that their loyalty is to Trump's message and not Trump himself - which is why you think the comparison to Buchanan is apt, when it is not. I'm not sure. But the notion that he'll be somehow made toothless when he goes back to private life despite having more support, more media attention, more power and more ability to manipulate the system than he did in 2012 seems at best wildly optimistic, especially with no other rising stars and with him, ya know, still around. It'd be one thing if this was after his second term - but that's not the hypothesis. 

I also think that Trump will be wielding his power against Republicans to keep them in line in primaries. In a perfect world you'd see most Republicans start dissing him after he loses and say 'god that guy was crazy' in public, but that'll soon stop when Trump starts going for their primary opponents. That'll probably be good for Dems - most of those primary opponents are going to be really batshit crazy - but it'll still put a lot of fear into those other candidates. 

6 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

It's not Trump specifically I'm afraid of. It's that he will, even after he's gone from being a POTUS, have a very sizable amount of very rabid supporters that no other candidate will have, and those rabid supporters are going to vote in primaries and give him a base that is hard to deal with.

Well, if you're saying it's not Trump specifically, then yeah I entirely agree Trump's base is not going away - in fact it's exactly what I've said from the beginning and literally what I just said.  They will find someone else, and that someone else is almost certainly going be worse.  I'm not saying them dumping Trump is going to be a good thing.  Just the opposite.  I'm just saying that they are not going to want to rehash Trump in 2024 - they will look for a new standard bearer because that's what they do.  Doesn't mean Trump won't have media influence (although he certainly won't at the rates you seem to be arguing), doesn't mean he won't keep whining, just means his electoral career is over in such an event.

And I'd say that unless Trump does actually leave the US and go to his fuckhole Scotland golf course or whatever, he's going to be that standard bearer. There isn't going to be any room for others to steal that oxygen in the media for a while. I think you're evaluating this purely from a political perspective instead of the reality star perspective that Trump is, now. 

Another other thing is that  Trump effectively has a crazy amount of dirt on, well, everyone for working with him. Every single Republican working on the Hill probably had to violate ethics and possibly laws to do anything with Trump, and Trump will turn on them like no one's business if he doesn't get what he wants. 

5 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

There isn't going to be any room for others to steal that oxygen in the media for a while. I think you're evaluating this purely from a political perspective instead of the reality star perspective that Trump is, now.

I don't really see the difference when it comes to the political media.  And the reality show perspective equally suggests the media is going to look for the next big thing - if not more so.

6 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Another other thing is that  Trump effectively has a crazy amount of dirt on, well, everyone for working with him. Every single Republican working on the Hill probably had to violate ethics and possibly laws to do anything with Trump, and Trump will turn on them like no one's business if he doesn't get what he wants. 

Yeah this is you giving him wayyy too much credit.  I'm sure he has dirt on those that work for him, but MCs?  No.  Well, not based on their "dealings" with Trump.  Maybe he's got some Hoover file on who's fucked who I guess.

3 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I agree with you about Trump being an extreme narcissist. And I just don't think the idea of him blackmailing people with any "dirt" he has on them fits the nearly pure narcissistic personality I think Trump is. He will scream and be nasty and lie about anyone he thinks betrayed him, but he just doesn't have the capacity to be devious enough to pull off blackmail in this way. That's more antisocial personality (psychopath/sociopath) than the brand of narcissist I think Trump is. The style of coercion Trump uses is more up front bullying than secret threats. 

I there's any blackmail like this going on, it will be somebody like Stephen Miller's idea, not Trump's himself, and Trump will have a hard time keeping quiet enough about it for it to work if he's told what's going on. 

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right, that's cuz he didn't at the time.  That's what I meant by increased polarization/extremism of the GOP due to its electorate increasingly relying almost solely on white males.  But that simply emphasizes Trump is just one standard-bearer of that toxic strain within the American public.  They will move on to others, that are almost certainly gonna be worse and more competent.

19 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Speaking of being scared, you guys hit 70k + cases today (Worldometer, don’t know what Johns Hopkins says). 21 days to add a million cases.

And rising.

Edit: Infections per day.

Not total infections. Of course that’s going up. 

I expect the deaths per day will follow suit in a couple weeks. 

Man, if Giuliani is intending to hurt Biden with these Hunter leaks, I think he is failing spectacularly. He should really leave the ratfucking to Roger Stone.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/16/texts-show-raw-intimate-exchange-between-joe-and-hunter-biden/

A raw series of text messages show Joe Biden offering fatherly comfort as his son, Hunter, lamented from a rehab facility about being a “f–ked up addict who can’t be trusted” and had damaged his dad’s political career.

The intimate family exchange took place on February 24, 2019, two months before Joe launched his campaign for the White House.

“Good morning my beautiful son. I miss you and love you. Dad,” the elder Biden wrote at 6:57 a.m.

This doesn't make Biden look bad at all, he just comes across as a loving father who wants his son to know he cares about him no matter what. What a monster.

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

That's more antisocial personality (psychopath/sociopath) than the brand of narcissist I think Trump is. The style of coercion Trump uses is more up front bullying than secret threats. 

I there's any blackmail like this going on, it will be somebody like Stephen Miller's idea, not Trump's himself, and Trump will have a hard time keeping quiet enough about it for it to work if he's told what's going on. 

He's done a bit of both in his history per Cohen - I'm pretty sure he blackmailed Falwell Jr. a while back to get his support - but yeah, that's probably reasonable. That said, I think that he could threaten with it and that could be pretty successful. 

11 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm just curious what exactly Trump or anyone is going use to blackmail the GOP Congress?  They did not need to commit any ethics violations or anything else to enable all the myriad crimes Trump and his administration committed.  All they had to do was do nothing.  And they did that in plain sight, don't see how anyone could "blackmail" them for it.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm just curious what exactly Trump or anyone is going use to blackmail the GOP Congress?  They did not need to commit any ethics violations or anything else to enable all the myriad crimes Trump and his administration committed.  All they had to do was do nothing.  And they did that in plain sight, don't see how anyone could "blackmail" them for it.

They didn't need to, but they almost certainly did do things. Especially like Gaetz and Nunes and others like them - doing things to toady up to Trump. Some are going to be immune, but a whole lot will not be I bet. 

3 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Some are going to be immune, but a whole lot will not be I bet. 

There are 250 GOP members of Congress.  Saying "a whole lot" will be compromised with Trump's shady dealings is rather logistically impossible.  Maybe a handful like Nunes, yeah, but pretty much every session of Congress you can count on a handful of GOP MCs getting taken down by scandals.

9 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, if Giuliani is intending to hurt Biden with these Hunter leaks, I think he is failing spectacularly. He should really leave the ratfucking to Roger Stone.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/16/texts-show-raw-intimate-exchange-between-joe-and-hunter-biden/

This doesn't make Biden look bad at all, he just comes across as a loving father who wants his son to know he cares about him no matter what. What a monster.

Worth noting that Dipshit Donnie punched his son for not wearing a suit to a baseball game when he was a drunk frat boy. 

Donald Trump is mighty proud of his temperament. Just yesterday, he told a Florida crowd that he's "honored to have the greatest temperament that anybody has.”

But Scott Melker, a DJ and realtor who lives in Miami Beach, says a great temperament isn't exactly what the Donald showed when he encountered him back in college at the University of Pennsylvania.

The way Melker tells it in a lengthy Facebook story posted last night, he lived in the same freshman dorm at UPenn as Donald Trump Jr., who attended the Wharton School. One day, the elder Trump showed up to pick up his son for a baseball game and flat-out slapped the crap out of his kid when he wasn't dressed for the occasion.

"Don Jr. opened the door, wearing a Yankee jersey. Without saying a word, his father slapped him across the face, knocking him to the floor in front of all of his classmates," Melker writes on Facebook. "He simply said 'put on a suit and meet me outside,' and closed the door."

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-dj-says-he-watched-donald-trump-brutally-slap-his-son-in-college-8900500

Caring, right? 

Also, who had to pay more to get their son in, Fred or Donald's assistant? 

Archived