US Politics: Town Hell

Kalbear

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Apparently Rupert Murdoch is convinced Trump is done, according to accounts the NY Times has gotten from people in his circle.

It feels like the people you need to be onboard for an overturning of the election not actually being onboard for it is a problem for the theory that the results can be flipped. The gap in the votes is just going to be too large for shenanigans to surmount, or so believe Murdoch and GOP insiders.

We heard stories like this in 2016,

19 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

....They also didn't have to prop Trump up while he tried to overturn the actual results in 2016, which was Ran's point.

10 hours ago, argonak said:

Forcing the Republicans to invest in what they had thought were safe seats is a good strategy if you have the money to burn, which the Democrats seem to have this year.  Whereas the GOP have had funding issues due to Trump raiding (and embezzling) the war chest.  It also helps just in general.  During the early 2000s it seemed as though the DNC got too focused on the federal races, and practically gave up on state legislatures.  This ended up costing them a lot, because those states have a lot of subtle influence on the federal races.   We really need to fight for every state, because the Republican Propaganda machine knows no borders at this point.

Yeah, I'm very happy that people are giving to Senate races in places like Texas. I'm more talking about over 50 million donated to defeat McConnell. I really don't think he's going to pull an Eric Cantor and shockingly lose. It's very good that people are motivated, but it might be better if some of that money was sent to Iowa.

Um, ain't it that he's the one who is blackmailed, not t'other way 'round?

Says if he loses he may leave the USA -- right because he'll be facing multiple long, ongoing investigations that are resulting in legal cases against him that will have prison and huge indemnities at best when he's convicted.  So Russia, you bet, there he goes. His wife will be furious. 

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

He has so far proven to be entirely immune to that sort of thing.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Says if he loses he may leave the USA -- right because he'll be facing multiple long, ongoing investigations that are resulting in legal cases against him that will have prison and huge indemnities at best when he's convicted.  So Russia, you bet, there he goes. His wife will be furious. 

Hah, right. Rich people don't go to jail, certainly POTUSes don't. If he left, he'd make his last act a full unconditional pardon for any and all crimes to himself and every member of his family, and then let everyone else sort out whether or not that was legal. 

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

And in 2024, the Snowden/Trump as roommates reality TV show.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

....They also didn't have to prop Trump up while he tried to overturn the actual results in 2016, which was Ran's point.

The result in 2016 was Trump winning.

Before that when it looked liked Trump would lose, he still spilled out he would not accept Clinton winning as anything but fraud. Conservative media outlets like Fox would be critical in promoting this message.

But again Trump. The rumours of more moderate Republicans in power panicking proved failed to be prophetic in his defeat.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Oh dear, I hope he doesn't plan to grace the land of his forefathers and -mothers with his presence... Keep him, please!

I suspect he was just babbling, he won't leave. But wouldn't it be nice if he had to beg for political asylum in Russia...

1 hour ago, Kalibear said:

Hah, right. Rich people don't go to jail, certainly POTUSes don't. If he left, he'd make his last act a full unconditional pardon for any and all crimes to himself and every member of his family, and then let everyone else sort out whether or not that was legal. 

And which is the highest court that would rule on those cases?

He has so far proven to be entirely immune to that sort of thing.

Unless Russia owns his debts.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The result in 2016 was Trump winning.

...Yeah.  That's why you're missing the point.  You're saying we heard those stories in 2016 - and we did, and they were likely true then as they are now.  Murdock and FNC would not have had Trump's back in 2016 if the actual results showed Hillary clearly won and Trump tried to challenge it - just like they're unlikely to have his back in the same situation now.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Speaking of being scared, you guys hit 70k + cases today (Worldometer, don’t know what Johns Hopkins says). 21 days to add a million cases.

5000 of those in Texas makes me worry for the many people that turned out for their early in person voting.

On the broader topic - I've long held that a tsunami of Dem votes was the only chance at saving the democracy for now as voter suppression efforts would blunt anything less. I thought it very unlikely that enough would turn out for it. All the polling and early voting indications are suggesting that's exactly what's happening and I can't help myself from starting to have some hope of pulling back from the brink, although I'm trying to retain enough cynicism to blunt the emotional gut punch and despair that will come if it's not enough.

I'm still skeptical that enough will be done to guard against the next attempt at pulling down democracy or to tackle the threat of white supremacists, but I hope to be wrong there as well.

That said I do understand some of Kal's point about Trump, the cult of personality he has with his core base is wild and weird, look at this shit

It doesn't matter how minor what he's saying is, they take it up and chant it like it's profound. It's absolutely specific to him and it's going to need to be dealt with in some way.

5 minutes ago, karaddin said:

although I'm trying to retain enough cynicism to blunt the emotional gut punch and despair that will come if it's not enough.

This is always wise for anyone affiliated with the Democratic party, whether you call it cautious optimism or guarded cynicism or whatever.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is always wise for anyone affiliated with the Democratic party, whether you call it cautious optimism or guarded cynicism or whatever.

It's also a highly valuable skill when supporting the football team both my father and wife do, I've had adequate education from that angle.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

It's also a highly valuable skill when supporting the football team both my father and wife do, I've had adequate education from that angle.

I've even had to develop this skill over the past decade as a damn Yankees fan!

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Besides what @DMC said about my intention, I don't think Murdoch was telling people in 2016 that Clinton was going to win by a landslide, whereas he is telling people now he believes Biden will win by a landslide. There's a difference in the magnitude of Trump's defeat that he is expecting. He was off by 200,000 votes last election. If he's off by 200,000 votes this election, he'll still be right.

15 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I know a lot of you were worried that Trump's re-election effort was running out of cash, but fear not, Sheldon Adelson is here to put any of those fears to rest.

Typical Bernie, lying again.  Saying it was one person that was investing all that money into the GOP/Trump's campaign when the CNN article clearly says it was Sheldon AND Miriam Adelson.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I've even had to develop this skill over the past decade as a damn Yankees fan!

Fans of successful teams who have a short bad run and moan make my teeth ache. 

My team havent won a major trophy since 1955.

And in football there are a minimum of 3 trophies a season to play for (if you are in the top division).

Archived