US Politics: Town Hell

Kalbear

9 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Agreed, the Kennedys of the 21st century.  No wonder America is falling apart.

Also, count me among the people who expect it to be either Ivanka or Jr to run for president in 2024.  Trump himself won't be up for it, if he's even still around.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Call me an optimist. I think we can at least take Junior out of the equation. He will (hopefully) be facing at least one criminal trial. Ivanka is more likely, as she was not quite as stupid as Junior. But let's see, if the current presidency flames out as spectacularly as it looks, then the name might be burned politically. Let's be clear, none of those nitwits is a Bobby or Jack Kennedy; or even a Teddy for all that matters.

JFK managed to resolve the Cuba crisis without starting WWIII, Donnie's achievements?

JFK allegedly had an affair with Marilyn Monroe. Donnie Stormie Daniels.

JFK was famously quite a good speaker, listening to Trump is like undergoing a lobotomy.

What am I missing regarding the supposed Trump legacy?  Who exactly would comprise either Ivanka or Jr's fan base?   Jr has more appeal to those that make up the angry, wronged-by-equality males that fuel Trump's core, but he has no charisma and doesn't really have the pull of Trump.  And I'm not clear who would want to elevate Ivanka, as the aforementioned core demographic would have no use for her, and I doubt they would even if she rebranded herself as a gun nut openly supportive of the KKK.  And wouldn't those (I'm assuming people are thinking of the Suburban White Woman vote here) who might have seen her as a moderating, "smart businesswoman," return to normalcy candidate strongly prefer someone who isn't tarnished by the Trump name who actually is reasonably intelligent, and reasonably capable at politics, like Nikki Haley?  Plus, while Trump Senior is a spoiled little rich boy who inherited everything, he at least sold the picture that he was self-made.  There is no such veneer for his spawn.  I just don't really see who within the Republican base would be clamoring for these talentless chucklefucks.   Unless we're talking about maybe trying for like some red county seat in some red state?

ETA: Sorry Horse- I think I accidentally selected your quote, but meant to reply only to the first one.

His children are just satellites. Has there been any serious sign they would run? The son in law seems to most ambitious so he might seek some kind of career with other candidates but I can't see him as electable at all to any office.

Biden wins and I envision the Republican Party pushing a woman candidate in the next election almost certainly at the urging of the Lincoln Project types as a way to promote some sort of 'woke' conservatism. She raises babies! (No abortions here!) She runs the country and has dinner on the table by 6:30pm. (I mean, she is President so she deserves that extra 30 minutes!) Church on Sunday morning and snacks for the men in the afternoon during the big game while she works on policy and the laundry. 

Female empowerment! Under His eye!

4 minutes ago, Castellan said:

His children are just satellites. Has there been any serious sign they would run? The son in law seems to most ambitious so he might seek some kind of career with other candidates but I can't see him as electable at all to any office.

Well according to the inestimable Steve Bannon, Ivanka believes she'll be the first woman president.  I do think it's fair to say that Ivanka, Jr and even Kushner have designs on holding office, and power more generally, but I just don't find them electable or as having any sort of political appeal after this trainwreck.

15 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

Well according to the inestimable Steve Bannon, Ivanka believes she'll be the first woman president.  I do think it's fair to say that Ivanka, Jr and even Kushner have designs on holding office, and power more generally, but I just don't find them electable or as having any sort of political appeal after this trainwreck.

I just can't see it. I have never heard her speak. Perhaps I changed channels immediately.

36 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Biden wins and I envision the Republican Party pushing a woman candidate in the next election almost certainly at the urging of the Lincoln Project types as a way to promote some sort of 'woke' conservatism. She raises babies! (No abortions here!) She runs the country and has dinner on the table by 6:30pm. (I mean, she is President so she deserves that extra 30 minutes!) Church on Sunday morning and snacks for the men in the afternoon during the big game while she works on policy and the laundry. 

Female empowerment! Under His eye!

Agreed. Maybe that wouldn't get her on the ticket for the presidency, but maybe as a senator. or reprsentative.

This afternoon, amiga in Austin reported via phone describin the rally in one of the public parks against the shoggoth hand maid nominated to the SC, to support the march in D.C. The proudboyz shut it down with vrooming motorcycles and grabbing the microphone out of the hands of the women on the park's stage. She confronted the cops who just stood there. They ... said .. the women didn't have a rally permit so the guys could do what they wanted on the stage too. But -- isn't that assault?

I hate to say this guys, but I’m laughing and laughing at the idiots showing up to Trump rallies, not wearing masks and not social distancing.

I don’t want anyone to get Covid-19 and possibly get very sick and even die. Except these guys, now, finally.

I didn't mean Ivanka. I don't see Trump children as legitimate candidates going forward. I think maybe Nikki Haley because she represents disingenuous diversity. Anyways, whomever it is will almost certainly be ACB lite. Conservative, but more progressive than Aunt Lydia. 

43 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Ivanka last doesn’t speak in public. She smiles nervously and looks at her menfolk.

I'd almost think she lacks the self-awareness to be nervous, even in places where she's well over her head.

This picture is from the same G20 conference where she tried to horn her way into a conversation with Macron, Merkel, and the head of the IMF and the French government put out the super-awkward clip to embarass her.

4 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I didn't mean Ivanka. I don't see Trump children as legitimate candidates going forward. I think maybe Nikki Haley because she represents disingenuous diversity. Anyways, whomever it is will almost certainly be ACB lite. Conservative, but more progressive than Aunt Lydia. 

I never understood why she associated herself with this administration. She had the brightest future of anyone in the party. 

As long as the Kennedys have been brought up....  here's the latest from the QAnon death cult:   Q is a secretly alive JFK Jr, and he's about to be announced as Trump's running mate, replacing Pence.  My take away is even the Q nuts have no fondness for Pence, and two, they couldn't imagine any dead Republican as secretly alive, they had to pick a dead Democrat?  No love for Scalia i guess...

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I never understood why she associated herself with this administration. She had the brightest future of anyone in the party. 

What I ask myself on the amusing occasions she parrots admin talking points, or her incontinent live tweets during the first debate... Is how fucking dumb is she.

Hayley has absolutely nothing to lose by going dark on Trump, yet she opens that yawning cavern of vividly brilliant idiocy every chance she gets.

If she really had the brightest future out of all of them, it's time for the US to out paid to the Republicans with some ash lined bear traps.

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’m almost wondering...

Do I ask my boyfriend for whom he voted?

I think you start by making certain he did vote. Whether you push beyond that is based on how he reacts to the first question... :D

As to Ivanka, I've suggested it before and will continue to do so, but if Trump is reelected, he'll push Pence out before the summer and nominate Ivanka to take the VP slot...

44 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

What I ask myself on the amusing occasions she parrots admin talking points, or her incontinent live tweets during the first debate... Is how fucking dumb is she.

Hayley has absolutely nothing to lose by going dark on Trump, yet she opens that yawning cavern of vividly brilliant idiocy every chance she gets.

If she really had the brightest future out of all of them, it's time for the US to out paid to the Republicans with some ash lined bear traps.

But what's to gain?

7 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’m almost wondering...

Do I ask my boyfriend for whom he voted?

I know he wrote in Romney in 2016, and I can respect that. I can also respect a Jo Jorgenson vote.

You mean you don't already? 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But what's to gain?

That is the burning question.

I don't see Trump's particular brand of base turning out piecemeal for Hayley, and they're all she's really pandering to given the more reluctant Republicans already distancing themselves.

Slice it any which way, it's a thousand cuts, and makes zero sense as positioning for a political future of relevancy. 

Fucking bizarre.

Archived