Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

I just needed to mention Deniece Williams in this joint ;) 

Continuing on from last thread. I have to admit I don't get the disappointment. Season 1 is a tad fuzzy in my recollection, but this season actually felt like a step up for me overall. It was very tastefully handled and you can really see the actors mature in their roles.

EDIT: Also very happy to have made another thread title. If there is one thing I miss about the Vikings threads back when the series was good, is that we also had nice, punny titles for the threads :) 

Edited by Veltigar

So far I haven't been able to finish The Boys. Got to the bit where John Noble turns up as Butcher's dad with the whole family doing improbable cockney accents and just felt that the naff now outweighed the awesome. Whereas S1 felt so new and and extreme that it was just awesome. I will soldier on with it at some point to get to the next big event, but I'm not feeling it at the moment. 

Think it's partly just me though. I also started watching the original series of Utopia, loved it at first, got a few episodes in and the shine wore off. 

Like I said, there are loads of highlights this season, but I have to admit it’s overall plot arc wasn’t that gripping and I feel like maybe there were just too many threads going on, leaving a lack of structure in its storytelling. 

I agree with the above, there were points where I wasn’t all that bothered about continuing or watching the next episode even though I enjoyed them.  

Yeah I'd probably give the edge to S1 over S2 for 2 primary reasons.

1) Being personally new to the story, the initial shock and novelty of the violence, scenes and story in Season 1 provided a great deal of suspense for me. No other scene beats the 'holy shit' moment of that S1 Airplane episode. Come Season 2, I'm just used to most of the superhero actions and am not as surprised or shocked by Stormfront being a murdering Nazi or having heads suddenly explode in the middle of a scene.

2) Season 1 had more humor as I recall. Most of Deep's scenes (dolphin breakout, trying to save the lobster at the grocery store, diversity hire) were hilarious. I was cracking up at the therapy scene with the guy whose penis broke off after getting frozen.  Season 2 was generally far more serious due to the nature of the plot progression. 

Also, I think I just enjoyed a couple of the character storylines more in S1 (like A-train and Hughie/Starlight's interactions and romances) compared to Season 2.

I thought S2 was significantly better than S1 with the exception of the Deep subplot. They did everything that worked even more, they showcased Homelander more, they leaned into the money angle more, and I genuinely had no idea where things were going - even though I really should have. 

Plus I thought Stormfront was brilliant as a villain. Incredibly well-handled. 

And love sausage!

I loved that almost 4th wall breaking look Homelander gave when Stormfont said white genocide to Ryan. Even Homelander can't get on board with that level of crazy, though he would still mercilessly use it to his advantage if it was going to remain a viable strategy for remaining America's greatest and most beloved hero. It's interesting, I think the audience can hate-love Homelander for almost anything except white supremacy/Nazism. I definitely hoped that his one redeeming quality might be not being racist (he's 100% normie-ist of course, which is totally expected for anyone who thinks of themself as a god but actually isn't).

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I loved that almost 4th wall breaking look Homelander gave when Stormfont said white genocide to Ryan. Even Homelander can't get on board with that level of crazy, though he would still mercilessly use it to his advantage if it was going to remain a viable strategy for remaining America's greatest and most beloved hero. It's interesting, I think the audience can hate-love Homelander for almost anything except white supremacy/Nazism. I definitely hoped that his one redeeming quality might be not being racist (he's 100% normie-ist of course, which is totally expected for anyone who thinks of themself as a god but actually isn't).

A bit of "yikes, can you tone it down a little and remember I'm not here for the racism, I'm here for the Homelander worship"

I think Season 3 has been set up very well with Victoria Neumann.  A shift towards more political maneuvering and more insight into government machinations would suit the story well.   

The Hughie-Starlight romance has atrophied a little bit.  It would be nice for there to be some forward movement: maybe even I don't know they start living together like grown-ups.  But I feel like we will also see the return of Hughie's mom in Season 3 just because. 

Where does Homelander go from here? 

19 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Not sure how that the thread title made you think of that glorious comedy sketch, but cool.

:o I thought you of all people would understand immediately @Corvinus85 :crying: Let's Hear it for the Boy is an evergreen song from recording artist Deniece Williams made for the classic Kevin Bacon extravaganza Footloose... The sketch refers to the exact pronunciation of Deniece ;) 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

:o I thought you of all people would understand immediately @Corvinus85 :crying: Let's Hear it for the Boy is an evergreen song from recording artist Deniece Williams made for the classic Kevin Bacon extravaganza Footloose... The sketch refers to the exact pronunciation of Deniece ;) 

Your cleverness surpasses mine. I've not seen that movie in ages.

I binged this in the last couple days so I am little fresh to this.

The head popping trait, so two separate supes have it? Didn't expect that so it was a nice way to throw us off. Rather, I assumed the one inmate was the one doing it before, but in hindsight she was popping more than just the head so I guess that's on me for not watching more closely.

The scene where SF gets sliced up, man all I saw there when they showed her was Anakin Skywalker in RotS after his fight with Obi Wan. Looked damn near identical, and we know she is alive and being held somewhere, so are we set up for Darth Storm in S3?

One other thing, are we also being set up not for Deeps redemption, but Homelanders instead? He was clearly moved by his son and cares for him. He didn't like it when SF went all white pride brainwashing on him. Are we going to see more of why Homelander is the way he is next season and maybe he sacrifices himself to save someone, and in doing so finally gets the love from people he craves?

22 minutes ago, dbunting said:

One other thing, are we also being set up not for Deeps redemption, but Homelanders instead? He was clearly moved by his son and cares for him. He didn't like it when SF went all white pride brainwashing on him. Are we going to see more of why Homelander is the way he is next season and maybe he sacrifices himself to save someone, and in doing so finally gets the love from people he craves?

Nah, there's no cure for being a cunt. Homelander has a god complex which, ironically, is almost legitimate. He grew up like that and is unlikely to change. Also, he's probably indestructible, I doubt he can sacrifice himself for anyone.
Best I can see is him getting his ass kicked by his son without fighting back.

And tbh I like it that way. The Boys is a show for adults, which means even the most terrible people have some redeeming qualities, like Homelander wanting to connect with his son and be loved by people, while conversely our "heroes" easily end up being as "bad" as the villains (see: Starlight killing a random family guy, or even Hughie killing Translucent).

To sum up: there's no manicheism in this show.
Well, except SF being described as an irredeemable villain I guess (and I think you're right, she'll come back as Darth Stormfront, return of the third reich).

BTW, having AOC Neuman as a "bad guy" is a nice twist. And nah, I think she was the one doing the head-popping all along.

Edited by Rippounet

28 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I binged this in the last couple days so I am little fresh to this.

The head popping trait, so two separate supes have it? Didn't expect that so it was a nice way to throw us off. Rather, I assumed the one inmate was the one doing it before, but in hindsight she was popping more than just the head so I guess that's on me for not watching more closely.

The scene where SF gets sliced up, man all I saw there when they showed her was Anakin Skywalker in RotS after his fight with Obi Wan. Looked damn near identical, and we know she is alive and being held somewhere, so are we set up for Darth Storm in S3?

It looked like the prison girl had general telekinesis abilities but the congresswoman has specific head popping abilities. We never see the congresswoman break someone's neck or anything else. She could have made the religion guy's death more suicical looking but nope -- pure head popping. I assume they'll adjust her powers however they like.

Enjoyed both seasons of this way more than I thought I would have.  Started watching it with my roommate with no conception of what it was, ftr I have never enjoyed super hero movies and I think the last one I watched was Batman Forever, when it came out, other than maybe random scenes from the Toby McGuire Spiderman movies when I was babysitting my younger siblings 10+ years ago.  There are times where it seems to absolutely love being over the top heavy handed about ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!!! but it works, and the cast is great.  Been a huge Aya Cash fan from watching Youre the Worst, but the rest of the cast kills it too most of the time. 

Have to say, a few things have thrown me for a loop.  Everytime I hear "supe terrorist" I'm thinking someone is jumping into my kitchen and dumping my soup on the floor, or using soup to highjack an airplane or something.  Also would be cool if maybe they didn't make just rotating through different anglosphere words for "vagina" shorthand for characterization for Butcher.  Or maybe he's just the kind of guy that actually only speaks like that.  Anyway, have really enjoyed watching this, I rarely post in entertainment but have had a blast watching this.

The particular swear words he's choosing are definitely part of the dodgy stereotype he's playing to. They're a *lot* less offensive in the UK/Aus and I assume NZ than they are in the US. In particular I didn't even know "twat" was considered swearing until after the year I lived in the US which made me wonder how many people I offended without realising it.

16 hours ago, karaddin said:

The particular swear words he's choosing are definitely part of the dodgy stereotype he's playing to. They're a *lot* less offensive in the UK/Aus and I assume NZ than they are in the US. In particular I didn't even know "twat" was considered swearing until after the year I lived in the US which made me wonder how many people I offended without realising it.

I think it depends on who you are around and where you are.  For me and the people I know twat isn't a thought of as a swear word even though it's slang for vajayjay, but c@nt is likely to get you slapped.  

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I think it depends on who you are around and where you are.  For me and the people I know twat isn't a thought of as a swear word even though it's slang for vajayjay, but c@nt is likely to get you slapped.  

Yeah cunt isn't really a big deal where I'm from.