Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

This is horror genre show all right. Finished watching all the eps.  How can it be so watchable when it is so horrible? When it comes to horror I run away, and here I am glued to the screen, though, often, covering and averting eyes.

It's Our World, and we recognize it on every level, including our own participation in its perpetuation?

And the actors.

Spoiler

Could Starlight turn out to be the Real Superhero who saves the world?  OTOH, this is a world already long beyond saving.

Yeah it's the blend of it feeling real, having an actual point to make and being hilarious that makes the gore work. And that so much of what makes Homelander scary isn't his powers, it's that he's a petty vindictive asshole that just happens to have the power to carry out what many of them would want to do.

And the mundane awful things that don't need his powers as much as the big ones that do

Spoiler

Forcing Starlight to work with her rapist, assaulting A Train for saying "fuck you", forcing Deep to eat the octopus etc.

Yea, is it just me or are they making Homelander especially evil this season? I know he's always been a monster, but in these past 3 episodes, he just feels more cruel than usual. I guess losing his Nazi girlfriend is just having that sort of effect on him, lol

9 minutes ago, sifth said:

Yea, is it just me or are they making Homelander especially evil this season? I know he's always been a monster, but in these past 3 episodes, he just feels more cruel than usual. I guess losing his Nazi girlfriend is just having that sort of effect on him, lol

And losing his son. This has been slowly building up to in the past seasons, especially the end of season 2. He's been held in check by his own desire to be loved and admired, to coexist with what he sees as inferior beings. But that is starting to unravel.

And losing his 'numbers'.  When they go up again because he mourns the loss of nazi gf, it encourages his infantile lack of self-control, moral compass and compassion.  Boss Baby.  That's what he's always been.

"Our" world has the same gore too -- yet another mass shooting, yet one more in these last weeks of non-stop grisly, deadly series that never ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My favorite section of these initial three episodes was

Spoiler

young soldier Grace in Reagan's Nicaragua, and the absolute bloody insane fuckups and political havoc the supe cowboys  brought because they were w/o military training and certainly w/o any military discipline.  Any idea at all that supes were anything good for anything, if anyone thought there was something, is gone the moment they arrive.  Just the same way the Reagan-Rove-etc. cowboys fucked up everything they touched too, including deliberately addicting a vast swathe of our population to a deadly drug.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Yeah it's the blend of it feeling real, having an actual point to make and being hilarious that makes the gore work. And that so much of what makes Homelander scary isn't his powers, it's that he's a petty vindictive asshole that just happens to have the power to carry out what many of them would want to do.

It's also the performance.  The eyes that seemed to be screaming even as he was smiling for the cameras was a nice touch, and just in general Homelander has such a wonderful sense of menace appropriate to someone who could literally kill anyone any time he wanted if he chose to.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

This show reminds me of Paul Verhoeven films. It reminds me why I loved them so much, along with all of the insane amounts of gore.

This is a really good callout. Verhoeven's style of over the top social commentary and massive gore is an obvious throughline here. Robocop or Total Recall would both fit in perfectly in this world. 

Homelander's gonna run for president. :p

1 hour ago, KalVsWade said:

This is a really good callout. Verhoeven's style of over the top social commentary and massive gore is an obvious throughline here. Robocop or Total Recall would both fit in perfectly in this world. 

Homelander's gonna run for president. :p

My own personal theory is, Homelander is going to fly into the White House in the final scene, throw the president out a window, sit down and put his feet up on his desk and say "I'm in charge now". With the 4th and hopefully final season being about the fall out from that.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

And losing his 'numbers'.  When they go up again because he mourns the loss of nazi gf, it encourages his infantile lack of self-control, moral compass and compassion.  Boss Baby.  That's what he's always been.

"Our" world has the same gore too -- yet another mass shooting, yet one more in these last weeks of non-stop grisly, deadly series that never ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My favorite section of these initial three episodes was

Hide contents

young soldier Grace in Reagan's Nicaragua, and the absolute bloody insane fuckups and political havoc the supe cowboys  brought because they were w/o military training and certainly w/o any military discipline.  Any idea at all that supes were anything good for anything, if anyone thought there was something, is gone the moment they arrive.  Just the same way the Reagan-Rove-etc. cowboys fucked up everything they touched too, including deliberately addicting a vast swathe of our population to a deadly drug.

I also liked the little bit there where we find out why

Spoiler

Black Noir doesn’t talk and always wears the mask

8 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I also liked the little bit there where we find out why

Hide contents

Black Noir doesn’t talk and always wears the mask

Yes!  And it was just ... there. 

Spoiler

I'd like to know more about why he was there at all -- I mean that crate the camera so rapidly passes over, that has Black Noir painted on the side.

7 hours ago, sifth said:

My own personal theory is, Homelander is going to fly into the White House in the final scene, throw the president out a window, sit down and put his feet up on his desk and say "I'm in charge now". With the 4th and hopefully final season being about the fall out from that.

Well (comic spoilers)

Spoiler

That's not all that far off from the eventual comic storyline, though I don't think we are quite there yet. I think we will get Dakota Bob and vic the veep as a storyline first. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just started S3, I was eating my lunch for fucks sake. 

Just showed my wife for a laugh

'oh my god, oh my god, is that his bellend? What's happening? Oh my god that's disgusting, what's wrong with you? Jesus fucking christ'. 

On 6/5/2022 at 5:17 PM, Zorral said:

Yes!  And it was just ... there. 

Hide contents

I'd like to know more about why he was there at all -- I mean that crate the camera so rapidly passes over, that has Black Noir painted on the side.

Well, my thought on why he was there

Spoiler

As we heard the cocaine was deliberately shipped to black communities, using Black Noire kind of makes sense.

Watched the three episodes this weekend and loved them.

Homelander is a toned down Donald Trump, or maybe thats' backwards!? The worse he behaves the better his numbers and the more fringe people come out to support him.

Also, I am sure I am not the only one who thinks

Spoiler

Soldier boy is alive. Anytime we don't see the death or body I have to assume the death was not real.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Also, I am sure I am not the only one who thinks

Hide contents

Soldier boy is alive. Anytime we don't see the death or body I have to assume the death was not real.

That's my assumption as well.