Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

32 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Homelander is a toned down Donald Trump, or maybe thats' backwards!? The worse he behaves the better his numbers and the more fringe people come out to support him.

Homelander isn't exactly a toned down Trump; he's a massive narcissistic psychopath. That Trump and him share some things is somewhat coincidental and based entirely on that psychological profile. Trump isn't special in that regard. Homelander has his own unique things - his need for a mother figure, his obsessive need for approval from authority figures, his actual desire to fit in - but him behaving as a narcissist with no ability to form relationships or understand other humans beyond if they hurt him or not is entirely textbook, and pretty much par for the course from psychology and from the comic. 

It's also a pretty standard trope about superman-as-evil: if you had the power of a god, how would you view people? Invincible, Injustice, Kingdom Come, tons of different runs of various comics over the years all play on that. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Well, my thought on why he was there

That makes terrific sense --

Spoiler

if that's the sort of person Black Noir is / was?  I don't know.  Maybe he didn't like the operation and its end game of addicting the African American communities, and thus was a target to be take out?  I don't know!

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Also, I am sure I am not the only one who thinks

Nope, you are not.  :cheers:

There was definitely an element of Homelanders speech pulling a lot of the standard populist chords. He appeared as a strongman who was going to break the system, appealed to conspiracy and put forward a genuine version of himself, warts and all. There are definitely elements of Trump like behaviour there. I’m sure it’s on purpose.

I do like that the show is an equal opportunities political satire as well, it thinks everyone is shit. 

Btw, I’m loving this season so far, it’s been a lot of fun. I felt quite bored by the last season and wasn’t sure I was all that bothered about continuing, but so far it’s been brilliant. I guess the descent into pure evil combined with some serious gross out moments is what makes the show work.

Why viewers know Soldier Boy isn't dead.

https://ew.com/tv/jensen-ackles-fake-soldier-boy-movie-the-boys/

.... The first three episodes of The Boys season 3 reveal that Soldier Boy has been presumed dead for decades after a mission-gone-wrong with Contra rebels, the Sandinistas, and the Russians. But, as we already know, the superhero's story is far from over.

In conversation with Kripke and his fellow cast members for EW's Around the Table, Ackles says Soldier Boy "has always been the top dog and has always been the alpha. I guess he's sort of been sent out to pasture and now he's back. I like to say he's the old lion who's coming back into the cage to mix it up with the new lion. ....

I assume there is no actual weapon, but maybe the Russians enhanced Soldier Boy somehow and he's now at Homelander's level. He was already nearly as strong according to Butcher. So I assume the Boys' plan will be to get them to kill each other. That being said, and I don't expect Homelander to die this season unless it's the last season, suped Butcher v. Homelander may be the final fight that perhaps takes Homelander down a peg.

Edited by Corvinus85

Btw, it took me a second view to recognize Sean Patrick Flannery as Guardian. I haven't seen him in anything since The Boondock Saints. With that helmet on he is unrecognizable. I only suspected it was him in that final scene thanks to his haircut.

I don’t even think Soldier Boy was simply captured by the Soviets, at least not without some deal with Vought. The whole set up is weird, why was Edgar there? Fucking up a covert op and losing a powerful asset harldy seems like the thing to fast track you to the very top of the company. Secreting away SB was the entire point of the excursion.

Edited by Morpheus

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He also has to be the bad guy in just too many shows this year,  no way can he keep this workload up 

I dunno; it seems like playing literally the exact same guy with a slightly different outfit in a bunch of shows would not actually be that hard. 

26 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I don’t even think Soldier Boy was simply captured by the Soviets, at least not without some deal with Vought. The whole set up is weird, why was Edgar there? Fucking up a covert op and losing a powerful asset harldy seems like the thing to fast track you to the very top of the company. Secreting away SB was the entire point of the excursion.

As to why Edgar was there - the point at the time was to showcase to the military the value of supes. Edgar has always hated the need for them to be, well, shitty humans. At this time he's not a super big person in Vought, and is just running their military ops. 

This didn't go well for him of course - it was the first time in a while that they had tried, and it blew up in his face. But he was going to try. I don't think the goal was remotely to fuck things up and get rid of one of their biggest assets. 

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Why viewers know Soldier Boy isn't dead.

I figured that, seeing as he's obviously going to be a parody of Captain America, he's pretty clearly been frozen in some capacity.

Edited by briantw

On 6/8/2022 at 8:15 PM, Corvinus85 said:

I assume there is no actual weapon, but maybe the Russians enhanced Soldier Boy somehow and he's now at Homelander's level. He was already nearly as strong according to Butcher. So I assume the Boys' plan will be to get them to kill each other. That being said, and I don't expect Homelander to die this season unless it's the last season, suped Butcher v. Homelander may be the final fight that perhaps takes Homelander down a peg.

Spoiler

Homelander dies in the comics fairly late on (issue #65 our of 72 total), so I could see him dying and there being one more season without him, but more likely half a season. There's a kind of shock twist that Homelander dies and you find out one of the other Seven is even worse and more dangerous than him, which the Boys then have to deal with.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Technically they come out Thursday evening in the US to match a midnight release in the UK. That has been Amazon's MO for a while.

Good to know.  I don't watch as much Amazon as other services so I wasn't sure.  So I'll be on the hunt for ep 4 later.

There were technical problems with release of ep4 in some countries. In Aus it's meant to be up around midday and wasn't there till about 11pm, I think India was having the same problem.