Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

29 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I think The Boys does tend to better the comic on the whole, unlike the deadly dull Preacher adaptation.

I had to bail on that one.

I haven’t read The Boys, but I’m usually a fan of Ennis’ work. His Hellblazer run is one of my favorites in all of comics. 

9 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

His wife actually gets to, ya know, do something, have some agency, make some choices.

To each their own. For me, the character and her choices were all telegraphed and went exactly where you would expect, and her story was mediocre and one of the least engaging parts of season 3. This season, four episodes in, she feels like she barely existed at all or died years earlier, which says something about the impact of the character. 

I was about to say that if you had the actress in a lineup of other women, I'm not even sure I'd pick her out as Becca... but Google reminds me that she's also Karen Baldwin on For All Mankind, so I'd recognize her from that, I guess? She of the storyline that shall not be named!

Edited by Ran

7 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I think The Boys does tend to better the comic on the whole, unlike the deadly dull Preacher adaptation.

I really liked Preacher the tv show. Yes it lost it's way, and got grindy and pointless for a while,  but it was a ton of fun for the most part, and there were so many great individual performances in there that it's hard not to like it. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I really liked Preacher the tv show. Yes it lost it's way, and got grindy and pointless for a while,  but it was a ton of fun for the most part, and there were so many great individual performances in there that it's hard not to like it. 

Yea, I actually enjoyed the ending to the show, over the ending of the comic. It was over all a lot more fun.

11 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I stopped after S2 I think, lost me.  Ass face

I cut out of Preacher with a few episodes still to go during season 2. It didn’t have enough of the wild stuff and the drama often fell flat on its face IMO. The casting was mostly good, except for Jesse, at least in those 2 seasons Cooper never settled into the role. In comparison to The Boys, I thought the changes were mostly terrible. A whole season in Jesse’s town made for a sluggish start, Arseface in hell was a disaster and, while I don’t know for sure, I doubt they ever justified adding in the sci-fi wrinkle of selling souls in vials which was just a baffling choice; why did Jesse need to grow up in a PKD novel rather than a Southern gothic nightmare?

Finally watched the 4th episode and huh... I really didn't expect

Spoiler

that Supersonic wouldn't betray Starlight, but earnestly try to help her and die so soon. Also, Kimiko's death(?). I still hope that she isn't, but "The Boys" sure loves killing female characters to incentivize the men and well, she is not one of the boys and she did want to quit and pushed Frenchie to do likewise, so...

Also, I really don't know what to think about the news that they got a 4th season. I honestly don't see how the the narrative could go on without them disposing of Homelander, but also not how the show could go on without him. Though maybe the actor's recent antics would prompt them to try to go it without the character, we'll see.

A couple of things I still don't understand:

Spoiler

Is Mr. Edgar secretly a supe with indestructability as his power? Because otherwise him gratuitously insulting Homelander at the end was dumb. Also, surely he must have had a plan to de-fang/get rid of Homelander if worse came to worst? It wasn't my impression that making supes powerless was Soldierboy's original talent, but if this is his plan B, why entrust it to Soviets/Russians?

Why is Newman injecting her daughter with V? Isn't it supposed to be very dangerous and unpredictable when not done to babies? Is she hoping that it might protect her from Homelander? Which is unlikely to say the least.

Are we supposed to think that Stormfront is truly dead? I thought that it was all staged and that she was going to be  a subject for Edgar's supe-depowering/destroying experiments, but now that it seems like this problem has already been solved, I dunno. For that matter, it is still unclear to me why as a Nazi true-believer she allowed Edgar to rise to Vaught leadership instead of killing him, unless, again, she tried, but couldn't.

Edgar isn't a supe. He is just super confident in himself and thinks homelander is a wannabe who seeks approval from parents more than anything, and Edgar is that parent. Edgar is a sociopath, but a purely human one.

I'm sure that Edgar and vought have a plan to deal with homelander if they need to. We probably haven't seen it yet. I don't think soldier boys ability is to depower others. 

Neumann is giving her daughter powers because she has them and because dude, its FUCKING SUPER POWERS. Parents in our world do crazy things to give their kids tiny advantages in life - and this would give them the abilities to be a God. And super-powered people in this world are not only physically powerful, they have the chance to be celebrities and sports stars.

Stormfront is almost certainly dead. Edgar has plenty of other supe material to experiment on. Stormfront is powerful but not insanely so. Ryan is a lot more valuable than she would be. 

36 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

He is just super confident in himself and thinks homelander is a wannabe who seeks approval from parents more than anything, and Edgar is that parent. Edgar is a sociopath, but a purely human one.

Wasn't that scientist who got killed in the previous season also in "parental" role and even Madelaine in a completely f'd up way too? Anyway, the bigger problem is that I just don't see a consummate racist like Stormfront allowing an African-American to climb the corporate ladder of Vought - her husband's creation and legacy, instead of just murdering him.

Speaking of her, from what we have seen, her powers were second only to Homelander's (maybe) and Ryan's. Didn't we have  the team-up of Maeve, Starlight and Kimiko, with support from the Boys, being unable to really hurt her? And you'd think that her helplessness would have made her an ideal experimental subject. Though I wonder about that too - even crippled, shouldn't she still have super-strength in her remaining limbs and the ability to produce lightning? She just seemed much more feeble than she should have been, IMHO. Part of that was psychological, no doubt. But her death when Homelander was conveniently absent and nobody seeing her body makes me very suspicious.

As to Neumann, I didn't have the impression that she was entirely happy with her own power, even though she has grown accustomed to it's use. And isn't taking normal V very dangerous for anybody who is not a baby, with majority of such people ending up horrifically dead? Wasn't that the reason why Stormfront didn't try it on her own daughter at some point?

Wait, wait, wait - is teleporting Teddy from the supe orphanage supposed to be Madelaine's kid?!! He was found unaccountably unhurt after the explosion of her house, and I can't imagine Homelander saving him.

44 minutes ago, Maia said:

Wasn't that scientist who got killed in the previous season also in "parental" role and even Madelaine in a completely f'd up way too? Anyway, the bigger problem is that I just don't see a consummate racist like Stormfront allowing an African-American to climb the corporate ladder of Vought - her husband's creation and legacy, instead of just murdering him. 

Yeah, that scientist was also somewhat parental. So was Madeline, though that had its own weird sexual thing going on. 

That said, Stan Edgar is just a different kind of person. He doesn't actually have fear. He's absolutely confident in his success and his ability to get out of things. He's entirely devoted to the company being successful. 

As to Stormfront allowing things like that, she understands what power she has and how she can manipulate things. I'm sure she hates Edgar taking power, but it's just another grievance - and Edgar knows enough to bury her completely. Stormfront does not want herself to be exposed. 

Speaking of her, from what we have seen, her powers were second only to Homelander's (maybe) and Ryan's. Didn't we have  the team-up of Maeve, Starlight and Kimiko, with support from the Boys, being unable to really hurt her? And you'd think that her helplessness would have made her an ideal experimental subject. Though I wonder about that too - even crippled, shouldn't she still have super-strength in her remaining limbs and the ability to produce lightning? She just seemed much more feeble than she should have been, IMHO. Part of that was psychological, no doubt. But her death when Homelander was conveniently absent and nobody seeing her body makes me very suspicious.

I mean, I'm sure they'd experiment on Stormfront if they could get away with it, but as we've seen elsewhere in the show they've got tons of experimental opportunities across the board. And we know from the show that one of the reasons she's so strong is that she was one of the very first and got a much stronger dose of V. 

But they know how to make more Homelanders. They don't want to, because he's a bad product. They aren't about power; they're about control. 

As to Neumann, I didn't have the impression that she was entirely happy with her own power, even though she has grown accustomed to it's use. And isn't taking normal V very dangerous for anybody who is not a baby, with majority of such people ending up horrifically dead? Wasn't that the reason why Stormfront didn't try it on her own daughter at some point?

I don't think Stormfront had access to V like Neumann could. Neumann has a special relationship with Edgar that Stormfront never did. 

And I'm sure Neumann wasn't super happy with being ostracized because of her power, but I think she blamed that largely on the fact that her parents weren't superpowered and couldn't deal with her exploding their heads. I think she is using this as a way of giving herself the childhood that she didn't get. 

I don't think the majority end up dead, though I'm sure a fair amount do. But again - parents are absolutely willing to give their kids some shockingly horrible treatment to make them excel. This is horrible but not particularly weird to me. 

Btw, I see a lot of people online freaking out when Victoria gave her daughter V because of the randomness of the powers. But I don't think that's totally correct - the person's DNA plays a major role in what powers they get, no?

Ryan seems to have inherited his dad's powers, or close enough. And the new tempV gives Butcher the same powers every time he takes a dose. So I think Victoria's daughter, if she survives, will have similar powers to her mother.

3 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Neumann is giving her daughter powers because she has them and because dude, its FUCKING SUPER POWERS. Parents in our world do crazy things to give their kids tiny advantages in life - and this would give them the abilities to be a God. And super-powered people in this world are not only physically powerful, they have the chance to be celebrities and sports stars.

I'm actually fairly certain the reason she's giving her daughter V is so that threats to her daughter's safety can't be used against her any more.

On 6/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, IFR said:

It is my hope that Homelander's character arc culminates with him slaughtering millions of people in the most comically gory way. I doubt the writers will go that way because I suppose it would be deemed too edgy and too much of a "loss" for the protagonists, but for me that would be one of the few satisfying ways to conclude this kind of character, with all the excellent build up they have managed.

I believe in the comics:

Spoiler

He culminates in going batshit, storming into the White House and turning into Zod from Superman II