Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

Just got back from holidays and caught up with the first couple of episodes. This show is batshit crazy and a lot of it barely makes sense, but they do a very good job at keeping things moving fast enough that you don't really ponder the insanity of it all. That's great craftmanship in my book.

Best scenes in this episode: the mass departure via firing or free will from Vought's various sub companies and labs upon the ascension of HL to control with his asswipe Ashley -- and Deep literally being run by a ventriloquist.  We've seen that bit before, controlled by his put the words in my mouth wife, but it's getting more obvious in every scene.

Spoiler

Don't know what I feel about the music-dance number.

Generally this episode felt mostly flat and repetitive, despite Soldier Boy taking the stage.  Which reminds me of the other best scene -- When HL is asked,

Spoiler

"What are you going to do about Soldier Boy?" and he's obviously terrified to be anywhere near anyone with Powers as good as his own. O so heroic.

So what are the chances Homelander runs for president either at the end of this season or the next? I'm not sure how long this show can continue, especially with how quickly Homelander seems to be both ascending in power and unraveling mentally and I'm not sure how compelling this would be without him, but that sort of story beat could keep him in check in a realistic manner through another season. Plus it kind of makes sense given his current trajectory.

But then again, what do I know? I'm just a dumbass on the internet.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:
  Hide contents

Is Laurie Holden the Sean Bean of actresses? I feel like her character dies in almost every movie and show I see her in. 

Hey, she made it through The Shield.

Although her character's career got murdered pretty spectacularly. 

Let's hear it for Vought and Homelander:

4 hours ago this up on the NYTimes:

Federal Authorities Search Home of Trump Justice Dept. Official

Meaning Jeffrey Clark, who with Eastman and Giuliani led the charge to change the election on the basis of the fake fake, who is the subject of a great deal of today's testimony, 

This is the news about 4 hours ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/us/politics/jeffrey-clark-trump-justice-dept.html

“All because Jeff saw fit to investigate voter fraud,” said the associate, Russ Vought, who runs the Center for Renewing America, where Mr. Clark is a senior fellow. “This is not America, folks. The weaponization of government must end.”

On 6/17/2022 at 10:49 AM, Corvinus85 said:

I liked the parallel between Soldier Boy and Homelander regarding how others have always perceived them, especially their original love interests.

Nice parallel tonight too between the girl power scene from last season where Annie, Maeve, and Kimiko teamed up against Stormfront with the fight scene between the guys.  Last year, it was three people teaming up with an actual noble purpose against a truly evil character, whereas tonight there weren't really any good guys, although it was still very satisfying to see Homelander get his kicked for, presumably, the first time ever.

Edited by briantw

12 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

That was a lot of an episode.

What I love about this show is that something absolutely bonkers will happen and I'll check how much time is left, thinking that was probably the end of the episode.  Nope.  Twenty more fucking minutes of insanity to go.

Edited by briantw

I can’t think of another show where I was so ready to check out and drop by the second season, but the third season is something I look forward to more than anything on tv! 

The Boys has really hit a peak this season, all of the plots are compelling, it has so many scenes that will live in the memory and it just seems to have really come together in a way it wasn’t last season. I honestly can’t wait for the next episode 

The Boys’ Right-Wing Fans Just Had a Mind-Blowing Revelation
MAGA-heads and Bitcoin bros love Homelander memes, but they’re turning on the show that spawned them.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/06/homelander-fans-herogasm-boys-amazon-trump.html.

... The pinned tweet on the Twitter feed for The Boys is a screenshot of one of the many one-star reviews the third season of the show has accumulated since it kicked off this month with an episode that featured an extremely, uh, vivid gay sex scene. “With each season it gets worse,” writes the reviewer Aj. “VERY political and VERY anti male. Plenty of male butts and wieners though! enjoy.” “Enjoy!!!” added @TheBoysTV.

Things have been getting interesting this season for fans  of Amazon’s superhero satire that offers weekly skewerings of fascism, corporate capitalism, clout-chasing, toxic masculinity, and the very idea of fandom, in no particular order. “The Boys subreddit is chaos right now,” tweeted writer Ryan Broderick last weekend, after an episode aired that featured Blue Hawk, a vigilante with a tendency toward over-patrolling Black neighborhoods, having a violent freakout at a Black community center, yelling things like “All supes matter!” “Threads are getting locked, users rage-deleting whole accounts. …. Fans who thought Homelander was cool are in a meltdown.” ....

Finally begun to watch it, and yeah, it's pretty good. I didn't like that season 3 was basically spinning it's wheels to keep the status quo of essentially unchallenged Homelander, but this last episode with the fight and Starlight going public blew that out of the water. Really looking forward to see where it goes.