Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

8 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

I thought the mirror thing was basically taken directly from the comics, where homelander has a conversation with himself in the mirror in several eps, mostly around why he feels like he can't do as much carnage as he should. 

Good recollection -- I ended up having to double-check that. Though it does tie, I think, into the whole disassociative thing, but it's hard to figure out whether that's an effect of the spoiler stuff driving him loopy, or that because he's got that disassociative personality that the effect of the spoiler matter plays out as it does. From the comics:

Spoiler

In the comics, Butcher concludes that Homelander basically turned himself into a psychopath because of the things Black Noir had done and his inability to be able to tell if they were him or not.

Re: head popping, in the comics it turns out that there's a very specific frequency that will cause anyone with even a bit of Compound V in their system to have their heads explode... but I can't remember if it's tried on Homelander or not. I mean, if it was, it didn't work, but I'm not sure it came up.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:11 PM, dbunting said:

I have a question about the head popping lady, why can't she just pop Homelander? She has shown she can do it to supes this week with Starlight so what's the deal, did I miss something?  Plot armor I assume?

There was a scene of their conversation this season, when he explicitly encouraged her to try and pop his head, so at least he seems certain she isn't able to do it. Whether it's because he's just too tough or too quick is unclear, but he clearly didn't mind her trying and she seemed to agree with him it wasn't doable for some reason. 

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

There was a scene of their conversation this season, when he explicitly encouraged her to try and pop his head, so at least he seems certain she isn't able to do it. Whether it's because he's just too tough or too quick is unclear, but he clearly didn't mind her trying and she seemed to agree with him it wasn't doable for some reason. 

My impression was not that she definitely  couldn’t do it, but that she was a) unsure whether or not she could and b) terrified of the consequences if she failed 

50 minutes ago, FalagarV2 said:

It also seems Victoria has a harder time with supes than others - she struggled a lot with popping her childhood pal, IIRC. The stronger the supe, the harder it gets, I'd guess.

I thought that was more the emotional baggage of it being her friend - she had no problem with popping supe heads at the Congressional hearing in the S2 finale.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:11 PM, Ran said:

Reveal hidden contents

In the comic books, it turns out that some of the absolutely most horrifying things Homelander is accused of, and which he kind of doesn't remember but is disassociative enough that he thinks maybe he did do them in some kind of fugue or blackout state, are in fact committed by Black Noir... who happens to be a completely psychopathic, absolutely amoral clone of Homelander himself and who commits those acts to try and force Vought to order him kill and replace Homelander.

I definitely don't think we're going to get the latter. I could see some sort of narrow path where they can kind of have him decide to destroy Vought utterly, which would be a "good" act, but he'd still be the big bad.

Good question. I guess the fact that the Boys are the ones who can help him find the other teammates matters... though, wait, only Black Noir is left, right?

8 in total.

Yes, although we are given clues aren't we that Noir was acting as a catspaw for Edgar? Soldier Boy isn't just looking for revenge, he's also looking for answers.  

I feel like we will see a meeting between Soldier Boy and Mallory once more. 

If I had to predict the outcome of the last episode (and I haven't read the comics): (1) Homelander losing his powers after being caught in Soldier Boy's explosion; (2) Butcher and Hughie running out of the temporary compound V and being saved by Annie/Ryan; (3) Soldier Boy as the new big bad; (4) Edgar back in charge of Vought; (5) Noir still on the run; (6) Kimiko and Frenchie leaving the Boys.  

5 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I don't see how Homelander, not losing his powers for even 5 minutes, isn't immediately murdered by whoever happens to be around, unless there's some very bad and contrived writing involved.

Yep.  The show is extremely well written.  Btw, what time are the episodes typically released? I sometimes see them available at 8 PM EST on Thursdays.  

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

"He's really good at... umm... cunnilingus.  He loves to munch on vagina." 

Doubtless this was a contributor to the meltdown of the incel/nazi cohort who believed HL was the Big Good until some how, only in this episode learning that he is pure eVile. 

This show can’t go a whole season without Homelander and Soldier Boy would be an odd choice to replace him with a very similar but as yet much less interesting character. So far,  Soldier Boy is little more than a plot point and thematic layering about the corruption of absolute power-he is  Homelander Lite

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

This show can’t go a whole season without Homelander and Soldier Boy would be an odd choice to replace him with a very similar but as yet much less interesting character. So far,  Soldier Boy is little more than a plot point and thematic layering about the corruption of absolute power-he is  Homelander Lite

Agree. This show without Homelander might not work, at least for me.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Agree. This show without Homelander might not work, at least for me.

Eh...while Starr is no doubt giving the best performance on the show, I'm still very compelled when he's not on the screen.  The writing as a whole is sharp and the show is no less good when he's around.  

Nice twist at the end of that episode.  Going to be curious where Noir's story goes.  Is he now aligned with the Boys by default?

Also, Butcher stays making the same mistakes that got his brother killed.

Edited by briantw