Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

Well I'm finally caught up and damn this season has been a wild ride.

I didn't like the introduction of the temporary superpowers cause I thought it was a cheat but now that I see there's a massive price to it I accept it more.

I like how there was this sense of hope when Soldier Boy first appears like "finally, someone who can take on Homelander" then you gradually find out he's even worse.

Decent follow up episode. Homelander continues to be awesome and Soldier Boy is highly entertaining.

"You want to know what I do when I'm sad or scared? Fucking nothing. 'Cause I'm not a fucking pussy.":lol:

Even though the guy is being parodied, in a sea of weepy, melodramatic characters that's a refreshing take.

And it was very satisfying to see Hughie - who has spent the entire series as an annoying and whiny character - get slapped down.

I don’t recall clearly… in Mallory’s flashback to Nicaragua, was Noir’s injury caused by Soldier Boy?  For some reason I thought she had him injured in the attack the Supes bungled so badly.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I don’t recall clearly… in Mallory’s flashback to Nicaragua, was Noir’s injury caused by Soldier Boy?  For some reason I thought she had him injured in the attack the Supes bungled so badly.

We didn’t actually see what happened to him. Mallory passed out and woke to find him injured. Everyone assumed that it was part of the chaos from the attack and all the explosions. Mallory does not know the truth about what happened, as far as she knew, the Russians killed Soldier Boy and took his body.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

For some reason I thought she had him injured in the attack the Supes bungled so badly.

Except we now know that they didn't actually bungle it, Gunpowder excluded, they were just pursuing a goal that Mallory was unaware of, which was at odds with her own. All the chaos was for distraction and to signal the extraction crew. It is kinda interesting that most of the team was content to fade into obscurity afterwards, with the Twins not even using their powers for many years. 

I guess that Edgars wasn't worried about Soviets having Soldier Boy, because Vaught already had Homelander? Also, it is not clear that he was speaking for the firm at large back then - he could have been just an ambitious middle manager.

I am now very confused about the compound V chronology. In the previous season we have been told that Vaught brought his research  to US after WW2, so how is it that Soldier Boy was already a supe during the D-Day? When Nazi Germany itself didn't field any supes at all even in it's most desperate hour?

Additionally, I feel that the whole "supes are fundamentally useless despite their massive power/destruction potential" is overdone to the point that it has become boring and a parody of itself. Soldier Boy could have been a real soldier and done his bit at D-Day, while still remaining a massive PoS.

We have been reminded that permanent V is hideously dangerous to non-babies, so what's the deal with Neumann casually giving it to her daughter, whom she seemed to love? When even Stormfront didn't risk using it on hers?

Generally, while I am loving this season, I am beginning to feel that they are treading water. A-Train is alive, the Deep is back, they aren't getting rid of Homelander, because he is "the heart of the show", ditto Butcher, etc. I guess that they might kill one of the women in the finale yet again? I just don't see there being enough material to keep it fresh for 2 more seasons (Kripke allegedly has a plan for 5 all told) if they are so unwilling to mix up the core male cast and kill off some of them.

Edited by Maia

Edgar mentions that Vought defected in 1944, so the timeline still works if he did very early in the year.

But I do agree they are treading water. A-Train and Deep could have been out of the show and it wouldn't miss too much, and like I said, the Homelander being untouchable and just winning always is also a boring status quo.

I badly want to see Homelander get beat down but feel like the show has no one worthy to replace him with, as opposed to GoT / ASOIF where Joffrey's death was satisfying and not a huge loss because there were other compelling antagonists still around.

The only thing that bothered me about the finale was

Spoiler

there were too many slow motion gazing moments in that final fight. A bit too melodramatic, especially since none of them died in the end.

I'm glad Maeve survived but the writing could have been stronger on how she survived. Her hair at least should have been crisped after that moment. But loved her fight with Homelander. 

Black Noir, in the end, wasn't that special.

Hughie also needs to have a brain scan, and M.M probably needs to have regular cancer screenings. The supes may be able to handle Soldier Boy's radioactivity but a normal human probably can't.

Overall, a solid finale and another great season.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The only thing that bothered me about the finale was

Hide contents

I'm glad Maeve survived but the writing could have been stronger on how she survived. Her hair at least should have been crisped after that moment. But loved her fight with Homelander. 

Black Noir, in the end, wasn't that special.

Count me as one not glad she survived, I mean yeah she deserves to be alive and happy but it takes away from what she did a little bit. I mean if she lost her powers half way down the fall then how the hell did survive falling another 30-40 stories? It was great to see her more than holding her own against him in that fight.

Black Noir = Boba Fett in original SW series? Just kind of there to look badass behind a mask then dies with a whimper?

I loved the season overall but the way it ended feels like it was a let down. Main people are still around, no star died, Homelander still in charge. IDK  the characters stories all moved really well and got better developed but it just feels off?

I'm assuming next season is the big season, a Supe as VP who can play pop goes the President and just like that she is the President. Homelander and his son (who in an alternate universe was named Brightburn) playing daddy and his little demon brat. Next season will likely lead up to whether the kid goes evil or not in the finale? Assuming maybe 2 more seasons to come?

Oh one more thing, as I was watching at the end of the fight I thought for a fleeting moment that Homelander was going to look at them and say that they were the team he deserved to have. But no, of course not because that would signal the end to the series. 

I thought that was underwhelming, a really weak finale to an excellent season which ended up making the entire thing feel lesser. A whole lot of  exertion to take relatively few steps. I can’t buy anyone working with Butcher again, ultimately he had a changed of heart, but as usual it was out of self interest, he would have killed thousands, just not his wife’s son. The Havel The Rock sized plot armor on dem Boys boys is getting ridiculous.

Yeah have to agree this was a weak finale. One final fight that didn’t really resolve very much and left the pieces kind of in the same place. This is a real shame because I’ve been loving this season up to this point.

Maybe I was loving it because it felt like it was really building to something special, but if actually it didn’t maybe I need to rethink my ratings.

Ultimately it doesn't feel like nearly that much has changed, and that's a problem. Maybe I'm wrong - maybe having Ryan on board team Homelander is a Big Deal, and I appreciate them literally leaning into the 'I could shoot someone in Times Square and be fine' viewpoint. But to me it felt very...I dunno, anticlimactic. Especially compared to Season 1 or 2.