Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

That's the thing w/all the superhero franchises/universes.  They have to keep doing the same thing over and over and over -- and OVER!

OTOH

Spoiler

I can shoot somebody in Times Square and They will love me!

And that's how it ends.

Honestly, the only affective [stet] bit of the finale was

Spoiler

the end of Noir, coz he was the most interesting of them all, so of course They wouldn't tell us anything about Noir.

Feh.  But They must keep the franchise in play.  Feh.  That's the entire point of superheroes.

And yet idiot boys believe They should be able to be superheroes, or at least have superhero strength/skills/something, so They too can destroy w/impunity.

Edited by Zorral

23 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Deep provides a lot of comedic scenes though. The biggest laugh I got from the finale was Cassandra’s book “In too Deep.”  :lol:

I would certainly miss him. 

He's good for two or three absolutely hilarious scenes per season and thus is worth keeping around.

Have to agree with the finale being underwhelming. It feels like it ultmately left the show as an incremental step forward from the previous season, but had been setup to go much further.

Eric Kripke has said that the actor who played Noir will return to play a new? Noir. I think what this means is that because Noir was a silent, face-hidden, enigmatic character, that Vought will likely replace him to cover up his death.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Eric Kripke has said that the actor who played Noir will return to play a new? Noir. I think what this means is that because Noir was a silent, face-hidden, enigmatic character, that Vought will likely replace him to cover up his death.

I read it as the official story is that Noir would have died from the Soldier boy battle and a new Noir, played by the same guy in the same suit, will replace him. Maybe not? 

As I feared, a disappointing finale after a great season. Homelander is still untouchable and now even more so because he has Ryan, the Deep and A-Train are still his bootlickers, the Boys are somehow still alive and somehow somebody is still funding them, they wrote out another woman and a bit character with a bad-ass design...  And IMHO the only reason Maeve isn't dead is because they wanted to avoid "kill your gays" trope. How very boring. This is why I never could get into regular superhero comics and they are emulating their worst aspects while pretending to be an edgy and critical take on them... Meh.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

I get the feeling that the scene with A-Train and his brother is going to set up for A-Train switching sides over the course of next season and end up working with the Boys

Even if he does, what's the point? By the way this ended, nothing indicates to me that the next season will not end with pretty much the same way. They'll even have a new Noir, played by the same actor.

What was Noir's superpower?  What did he ever do?  I kept waiting to learn.  But, no.  I got stupid cartoons, that revealed, propelled, nothing.  Just like that song and dance number in the hospital with staff, K and Frenchie, to no point, other than 'being in love.'

This season was a rather organizational and structural narrative mess.  It has the massive moments of extraordinary violence into which it periodically explodes.  But so what?  And no, I wasn't in the least emotionally involved or intellectually either, except in the critical mode.  But what else does one expect of superduper franchises, even if they are satirical?  So much so that they even self-reference the endless looping via quoting Soldier Boy's dad sayin that becoming a sooperdooper via a drug was 'cheating,' that remained still that disappointing namby pamby girly boy.

Edited by Zorral

The end of this season should have been a climactic reset point for the story, a chance to really take risks and change the status quo.

In fact all signs pointed to them doing something like that throughout, which is what makes it so doubly disappointing that only a small baby step was made forward, and next season just looks like more of the same.

I was hoping that Soldier Boy and Butcher would kill Homelander. I wanted Black Noir, A-Train and The Deep to somehow be involved in helping out. Butcher should have died from taking V.

That would clean the slate for next season, do something different, a new set of heroes or anything different.

Of course the above would never happen but it would have been more interesting than what we got. I’m not back to where I am by the end of season 2, questioning whether I’m going to continue.

I'd largely prefer they'd left it a hanger and not revealed either Maeve or Soldier Boy's survival. 

Not sure where they go from here. I never read the series so don't know if or where they're pulling from, but starting the next season at the same place but Soldier Boy is also loose and just keep going would be pretty awesome, imo.  

It's clear they're still following the comics, even if in a fairly loose way.

Spoiler

The political stuff is the next major storyline, which culminated in the comics (from what I understand) with Homelander saying fuck it and taking over the White House himself, where he is finally killed.