Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]

Veltigar

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

What was Noir's superpower?  What did he ever do?  I kept waiting to learn.

We've seen him in action more than once. Super-toughness, speed, strength, reflexes, the usual. Also apparently felt no or very little pain, as we saw him stabbed and shot without any apparent reaction. He was basically Vought's assassin.

https://www.metacritic.com/news/the-boys-season-3-finale-season-4-preview-maeve-homelander-death/

"It was never considered that we were gonna kill Maeve. I both agree with and [share] the animosity against the trope of killing off bi or gay characters. I think that's a trope that actually exists and is really sh----, put it that way. And so, I was definitely like, 'There's zero way we are killing off this character,'" Kripke says. "But, I all admit to us being a little mischievous and playful with how we staged it, probably causing a lot of people to scream at the TV. And then [we] reveal [that] we're aware of the trope and we want to give her the ending that she really deserves. More than anyone, she gets everything she ever wished: She's back with her girlfriend; she doesn't have powers; she just wants out, and it seems like she might have the opportunity to get there."

Of course, with Maeve being presumed dead by the world and living her best life, that means "she's going to take a break for a bit" in the story, Kripke confirms. "Annie needs to grow and not have a protector around [and] we're going to give her a little time to be happy." However, that does not mean that Maeve's exit from Season 3 is a series exit. Kripke and his writers are working on Season 4 right now, and while he couldn't share specifics about if, how, and how often she may pop up in the next batch of episodes, he did promise that "the series will definitely not end without Maeve coming back one way or another."

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Good to know storytelling decisions are being made for all the right reasons then :rolleyes:

Yes, how dare they (check notes) write the character since season 1 hating this life and wanting out and wanting to be with her love...get what she actually wants and be happy

While not suffering any consequences (other than being maimed)

The NERVE

Edited by KalVsWade

16 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Yes, how dare they (check notes) write the character since season 1 hating this life and wanting out and wanting to be with her love...get what she actually wants and be happy

While not suffering any consequences (other than being maimed)

The NERVE

Maybe check your notes again.

6 hours ago, Darryk said:

I feel like this story may have run its course.

Every season is kind of a repeat of the same story arc, with maybe a few new things thrown in like Soldier Boy this season.

It's not that the story ran it's course, it's just that the showrunners don't have the balls to move the plot forward. It ended up falling in the same illusion of change as the superhero comics it was created to make fun of

I don't understand why Soldier Boy survived from a narrative or thematic point. Let his ultra mega blast remove his powers as well, and even if temporarily, well... he and Maeve should have gone splat. And the way Kriepke talks of Soldier Boy, his story is done. He could be dissimulating, of course, and doesn't want to reveal everything he's planning. But taking him at his word, it makes even less sense to keep Soldier Boy alive, and so it does sort of read like he just flinched from getting rid of the character (possibly because of his friendship with Ackles).

As to Maeve, same deal, re: surviving after that blast, but I would just have done something different with the whole scenario so that she can do the noble sacrifice bit while also surviving it with powers gone.

Edited by Ran

Agreed it was a good season with a weak finale. Too many characters ultimately choosing to do the right thing for selfless reasons, that’s not really the essence of The Boys. Personally I would have had Starlight getting smacked down, not necessarily dying, despite Hughie learning his lesson. Just add a little nuance, sometimes the selfish, evil, violent act is the best one. I’m happy Maeve survived but, yes, they needed some dialogue to fix the fact that she lost her powers and somehow survived. Generally I’d agree that the show is spinning it’s wheels a bit but still has enough entertaining scenes and plot points cleverly portioned out from the comics source to keep it watchable.

Add me to the bunch who loved the season, but didn't particularly like the finale. It really feels like we're almost back at square one. I'm glad Maeve made it, though an explanation on how she survived without her powers would be in order. Also, I didn't like they suggested by his smile that Ryan so quickly starts to like what Homelander is doing. That's so drastically against everything his mother was teaching him.

I liked this season quite a bit, but it was indeed a disappointing finale. I feel like for me it fell flat because of the resolution to Soldier Boy's arc. I get that he's a character with a lot of self-hate and he was clearly painfully reminded of all his flaws by looking into the face of his unworthy son, but I feel like the inclusion of Ryan there just screws the pooch completely. I don't understand why that character would then proceed in the way they did.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't understand why Soldier Boy survived from a narrative or thematic point. Let his ultra mega blast remove his powers as well, and even if temporarily, well... he and Maeve should have gone splat. And the way Kriepke talks of Soldier Boy, his story is done. He could be dissimulating, of course, and doesn't want to reveal everything he's planning. But taking him at his word, it makes even less sense to keep Soldier Boy alive, and so it does sort of read like he just flinched from getting rid of the character (possibly because of his friendship with Ackles).

As to Maeve, same deal, re: surviving after that blast, but I would just have done something different with the whole scenario so that she can do the noble sacrifice bit while also surviving it with powers gone.

I'm guessing he survived narratively speaking to be experimented upon, eventually leading to the harnessing of his anti-supe power for The Boys to use.

I agree with the misgivings though.

54 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I'm guessing he survived narratively speaking to be experimented upon, eventually leading to the harnessing of his anti-supe power for The Boys to use.

Good point. They need that power at least for the conclusion of the show, otherwise all the good supes, including Annie, need to die. Or at least they need to have the power loss power as an option, hopefully the actual conclusion will be more messy.

Btw, I felt like they needed to deal with this issue more on the show. Butcher, and Hughie at times, literally thinks all supes should die but the existence of Ryan and Annie should really put more of a dampener on that, never mind all the team ups.

Edited by john

My headcannon about Maeve's survival is that she didn't just drop to the ground. Instead the explosion threw her through a window in a side building. That was enough to result in a broken arm and additional bruises and cuts as her powers were being burned off from her. Then she had enough strength to go down and collapse near the dumpster where the Boys found her.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:40 AM, Ran said:

We've seen him in action more than once. Super-toughness, speed, strength, reflexes, the usual. Also apparently felt no or very little pain, as we saw him stabbed and shot without any apparent reaction. He was basically Vought's assassin.

He obviously must feel pain given that he has PTSD from the way Soldier Boy beat him.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

My headcannon about Maeve's survival is that she didn't just drop to the ground. Instead the explosion threw her through a window in a side building. That was enough to result in a broken arm and additional bruises and cuts as her powers were being burned off from her. Then she had enough strength to go down and collapse near the dumpster where the Boys found her.

I'm not sure there is any value in trying to rationalise how Maeve survived, now we know that her survival was pre-determined for 'other reasons'

22 minutes ago, briantw said:

He obviously must feel pain given that he has PTSD from the way Soldier Boy beat him.

He felt pain. He remembers pain. It's not clear he really feels pain any longer, though. Like I said, we see him take some injuries that pierce his skin without flinching. Even Homelander will react in pain if hit hard enough.

17 hours ago, john said:

Btw, I felt like they needed to deal with this issue more on the show. Butcher, and Hughie at times, literally thinks all supes should die but the existence of Ryan and Annie should really put more of a dampener on that, never mind all the team ups.

Yeah, that is true.

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I wonder if we're going to see the girl who escaped from Stormfront's facility again. With her powers she could be a major wild card.

I totally forgot about her, what powers did she have again?

17 hours ago, briantw said:

Not a psychologist nor someone with personal experience, but is physical pain necessary for the development of PTSD? I'm assuming that the stress of all the abuse and fear for personal safety alone would be more enough than enough to mess someone up mentally.