Jump to content

Let's hear it for THE BOYS [Onwards to Season 3]


Veltigar
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, briantw said:

The fact that there are fans who were watching The Boys thinking that Homelander is cool is objectively insane

But, you knew there were loads of them out there, obviously, because, look at who lives in this country. :crying:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was a fun episode. Herogasm was... a lot tamer than the comicbook version, to say the least, but honestly I don't think we need several episodes about a supe orgy. (For those who may not recall, BTW, Soldier Boy mentioned he and Liberty founded the first Herogasm... and Liberty was Stormfront's superhero identity back in the day.)

The fight between Homelander and Soldier Boy, Butcher, and Hughie was excellent, and I think seeing that Homelander actually can fight against someone who can go toe-to-toe with him rather than just falling apart because he can't One Punch Man them was useful to see as the show had left it a bit up in the air as to how he'd deal with a genuine superhuman challenge. 

Strong ending with Starlight blasting Homelander and Vought and quitting. Will be interesting to see how the season proceeds, especially as to whether Soldier Boy cracks up over the fact that he is not in fact able to take on something solo, something he probably never encountered before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 4:16 PM, Ran said:

This was a fun episode. Herogasm was... a lot tamer than the comicbook version, to say the least, but honestly I don't think we need several episodes about a supe orgy. (For those who may not recall, BTW, Soldier Boy mentioned he and Liberty founded the first Herogasm... and Liberty was Stormfront's superhero identity back in the day.)

The fight between Homelander and Soldier Boy, Butcher, and Hughie was excellent, and I think seeing that Homelander actually can fight against someone who can go toe-to-toe with him rather than just falling apart because he can't One Punch Man them was useful to see as the show had left it a bit up in the air as to how he'd deal with a genuine superhuman challenge. 

Strong ending with Starlight blasting Homelander and Vought and quitting. Will be interesting to see how the season proceeds, especially as to whether Soldier Boy cracks up over the fact that he is not in fact able to take on something solo, something he probably never encountered before.

What did people think about the Homelander multiple identity personality thing? It seemed like it was introduced in this episode wasn't it? And then Homelander was ominously looking in the mirror, and only hearing silence.  Did he lose that personality? Or was that cocksure personality silent in the face of a real challenge? 

On the one hand, I think the show is setting up Homelander to fail epically in this season.  On the other hand, it feels like we may be going on a "Homelander is good now" arc as his opponents become more cynical and ruthless.  

The other thing I'm puzzled by is why Soldier Boy, having tangled with Homelander and failed, will not now bail on Butcher's project.  Why bother? Homelander may not leave him alone, but what's in it for Soldier Boy?

Also, it appears that Soldier Boy's explosion temporarily removes a Supe's powers if they are in the blast radius.  So that would seem to be the play if the team up continues.  Obviously we know with Ryan lurking in the wings, that this season will not bring a conclusion.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally got a chance to get caught up.  Fantastic couple of episodes these last two.

How many episodes is this season supposed to be?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What did people think about the Homelander multiple identity personality thing?

I think it's kind of a nod to the comic book Homelander, who kind of has a split personality issue if you define the term very broadly.

Spoiler

In the comic books, it turns out that some of the absolutely most horrifying things Homelander is accused of, and which he kind of doesn't remember but is disassociative enough that he thinks maybe he did do them in some kind of fugue or blackout state, are in fact committed by Black Noir... who happens to be a completely psychopathic, absolutely amoral clone of Homelander himself and who commits those acts to try and force Vought to order him kill and replace Homelander.

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

On the one hand, I think the show is setting up Homelander to fail epically in this season.  On the other hand, it feels like we may be going on a "Homelander is good now" arc as his opponents become more cynical and ruthless.  

I definitely don't think we're going to get the latter. I could see some sort of narrow path where they can kind of have him decide to destroy Vought utterly, which would be a "good" act, but he'd still be the big bad.

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The other thing I'm puzzled by is why Soldier Boy, having tangled with Homelander and failed, will not now bail on Butcher's project.  Why bother? Homelander may not leave him alone, but what's in it for Soldier Boy?

 

Good question. I guess the fact that the Boys are the ones who can help him find the other teammates matters... though, wait, only Black Noir is left, right?

 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Finally got a chance to get caught up.  Fantastic couple of episodes these last two.

How many episodes is this season supposed to be?  

8 in total.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The other thing I'm puzzled by is why Soldier Boy, having tangled with Homelander and failed, will not now bail on Butcher's project.  Why bother? Homelander may not leave him alone, but what's in it for Soldier Boy? 

I'd say ego as much as anything else. He was Homelander before Homelander existed and as an Alpha he wants to be the alpha again. The scary version would be him and Homelander teaming up.

I have a question about the head popping lady, why can't she just pop Homelander? She has shown she can do it to supes this week with Starlight so what's the deal, did I miss something?  Plot armor I assume?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I have a question about the head popping lady, why can't she just pop Homelander? She has shown she can do it to supes this week with Starlight so what's the deal, did I miss something?  Plot armor I assume?

Homelander appears to be in another category entirely from almost all other superheroes when it comes to toughness, with Butcher claiming that a nuke might be able to kill Soldier Boy... and Homelander is tougher than Soldier Boy, at least marginally. Besides that, he also has super-speed, so if he felt even a twinge in his noggin he could tear her limb from limb before she gets anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the mirror thing was basically taken directly from the comics, where homelander has a conversation with himself in the mirror in several eps, mostly around why he feels like he can't do as much carnage as he should. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Homelander appears to be in another category entirely from almost all other superheroes when it comes to toughness, with Butcher claiming that a nuke might be able to kill Soldier Boy... and Homelander is tougher than Soldier Boy, at least marginally. Besides that, he also has super-speed, so if he felt even a twinge in his noggin he could tear her limb from limb before she gets anywhere.

Eh, ok. It seems like she is able to pop instantly but I can see where he could be invulnerable to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

I have a question about the head popping lady, why can't she just pop Homelander? She has shown she can do it to supes this week with Starlight so what's the deal, did I miss something?  Plot armor I assume?

To be as strong as Homelander, your insides, skeleton, muscles etc. need to be extremely strong and dense. Like Ran said, if he event feels some pressure, he would act immediately. He has laser vision, too, so it would be a matter of how fast he can laser her head off vs her exerting enough internal pressure to cause his skull to pop. Personally, I wasn't convinced that Starlight couldn't have burned Vicky's eyes out before Vicky managed to pop her skull.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

To be as strong as Homelander, your insides, skeleton, muscles etc. need to be extremely strong and dense. Like Ran said, if he event feels some pressure, he would act immediately. He has laser vision, too, so it would be a matter of how fast he can laser her head off vs her exerting enough internal pressure to cause his skull to pop. Personally, I wasn't convinced that Starlight couldn't have burned Vicky's eyes out before Vicky managed to pop her skull.

Yeah but she doesn't need to pop his head fully, just brain dead would work. She could do it from another room, no evidence yet that he can see through walls is there? Have her do that the next time Butcher and co. attack him. Then have her immediately pop Soldier Boy right after. OF course the show wouldn't be as good without Homelander so this isn't what I want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, dbunting said:

no evidence yet that he can see through walls is there? 

Didn’t he watch Ali from Back to the Future breastfeed through the wall back in S1?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Actually you may be right, but don't disrespect Ali from The Karate Kid like that! 

Oh yeah… she was Jennifer in BttF, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

To be as strong as Homelander, your insides, skeleton, muscles etc. need to be extremely strong and dense. Like Ran said, if he event feels some pressure, he would act immediately. He has laser vision, too, so it would be a matter of how fast he can laser her head off vs her exerting enough internal pressure to cause his skull to pop. Personally, I wasn't convinced that Starlight couldn't have burned Vicky's eyes out before Vicky managed to pop her skull.

It's such a strangely specific superpower to have.  Can she do other things, like pop all the bubble wrap in the world?  Would make her a menace to post offices and shipping companies everywhere.  It would be funny if the postal cops ended up being the ones to expose her power to the world.

Edited by SpaceChampion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It's such a strangely specific superpower to have.  Can she do other things, like pop all the bubble wrap in the world?  Would make her a menace to post offices and shipping companies everywhere.  It would be funny if the postal cops ended up being the ones to expose her power to the world.

That would make it the most cathartic superpower in the world. :P

I don't know how the comics explain it, but my theory is that she increases the pressure of all fluids inside a person. So maybe she could make filled bottles pop. :dunno:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't know how the comics explain it, but my theory is that she increases the pressure of all fluids inside a person. So maybe she could make filled bottles pop. :dunno:

Kind of like a microwave I guess.  Can't increase the pressure without increasing the temperature.  Unless it's an entropy manipulation power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no one in the comics like Victoria. 

Most supes have largely generic powers or have powers parodying regular ones. There are xmen like powers, justice league powers, etc. Victoria is a man, is not powered in the comic, and is one of the dumbest humans alive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...