DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well the trailer just showed about the entire movie. It looks great, with added humor to attract a larger audience.

Yeah... I feel like I just watched Pootie Tang where it gets to the end and Bob Costas says "Wow... that was a really long trailer."  :lol: 

(Hope that didn't spoil that masterpiece of American cinema for anyone!  :lol: )

Yeah, that's really stupid to show so many bits and plot parts of the entire movie. Still, looks good, better than I feared. I'm getting some hopes up for this movie - specially since they take their time showing things and it's only the first half. Most designs look quite good, ships, shields, spicy blue eyes.

Villeneuve is a goddamn artist. I'm seeing this in the theater for sure.

This movie has a 2.5 hour runtime. I also heard that Dune was going to be split into two films. I guarantee the trailers haven't shown anything yet. My guess, that shot of Paul in the gold combat armor might be the last shot of the movie. 

In all the marketing surrounding this movie, I haven't heard peep about Fayd-Rautha. I assume they're saving him for the second film. For some tinfoil speculation, what if Chamalet is playing both roles?

I am ready to have my heart broken as Villeneuve releases another masterpiece, but this one never to be completed.

I really hope this HBO Max/theater release hybridization works in the favor of Dune somehow.

I would be shocked if this movie performs much better than Blade Runner 2049.

10 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well the trailer just showed about the entire movie. 

No shit. I've never read the books and only vaguely recall the old movie and that trailer basically told me 75% of what's going to happen.  

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No shit. I've never read the books and only vaguely recall the old movie and that trailer basically told me 75% of what's going to happen.  

To be fair, the old Lynch movie covered the entire book. This movie won't. 

13 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

To be fair, the old Lynch movie covered the entire book. This movie won't. 

Okay not to get too spoilerific… but what does it not cover?

Spoiler

That scene with Paul and the Fremen looks to be against the Imperial Sardaukar.  That happens in the climax of the book when they nuke the city walls and overthrow Harkonnen, no?

33 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hide contents

That scene with Paul and the Fremen looks to be against the Imperial Sardaukar.  That happens in the climax of the book when they nuke the city walls and overthrow Harkonnen, no?

Possibly a prophetic vision, rather than something that actually happens during the film? I don't think we know exactly where the first film will end.

I didn't notice the worm breaching in the background of Paul's closeup in the gold battle armor scene. 

Just give them the Oscar already.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

The Sardaukar on Arrakis were disguised as Harkonnen troops. The scene you are referring to might be during the Fremen guerilla war campaign that goes on for years before they get to the climax. Then they would be fighting actual Harkonnen troops, I think. I can't remember if the Sardaukar stay after the cataclysm or not.

The Fremen pop out of the sand in that scene so it looks like an ambush.

49 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Well as mentioned a few times before, we still have no Feyd-Rautha, and no appearance yet of the Emperor and Princess Irulan. I would be curious if Villeneuve is going to show more about imperial court intrigue, and the second movie could have a lot of that, if the first mainly concentrates on the events on Arrakis. 

Then there's Alia. No mention of her either.

My guess is that is either a vision of the future, or an initial assault by Paul and the first group of Fedaykin he trains.

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Doesn't Paul lead a series of ambushes against Harkonnen and Sarduakar BEFORE the climax? We don't see it, just hear about it from Jessica's POV but iirc he trains Fremen for a few years before the Emperor shows up. 

22 minutes ago, Relic said:
  Hide contents

Doesn't Paul lead a series of ambushes against Harkonnen and Sarduakar BEFORE the climax? We don't see it, just hear about it from Jessica's POV but iirc he trains Fremen for a few years before the Emperor shows up. 

Been a long time since I read the book, so I can definitely believe that.

The pacing of that first book is so tight and fast that it was bewildering to me when I read it in 2005 after having read all the Robert Jordan and GRRM travelogues to that point.  Stuff happens!  In a single book!!!

Looks like Zimmer is using a Pink Floyd cover in the film too. I didn't realize they were in talks to do the score for the Jodorowsky's version.

Thanks for posting the score samples. I know Zimmer gets a bad rap, but I'm a fan of his work. The alien sound fits Dune perfectly.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My one quibble is that the font their using for the title still make it look like the film is called “Dunc”.

Well isnt Duncan Idaho the only character to show up in all the original book series?  Its just a re imagining of who the real protagonist is =)

Archived