DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

46 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I saw Mulholland drive and also hated that. I found it to be misogynist garbage with one of the worst cases of male gaze I’ve ever seen. But what I mean is that David Lynch tries SO HARD to be arty and unusual. John Waters just is that. I have also seen and hated Lynch’s attempts at visual art. David Lynch wants to be Stanley Kubrick so bad he’s gotta torture us all and ruin a masterpiece with it. And that was before I saw Dune so it was not tainted by my hatred there.

Sting is a terrible actor and his presence is cheap stunt casting. 

:lol:

Somewhere a room of film school grads is spontaneously bursting into flames.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

...Most people who saw Lynch's Dune hated it...

Hate is a strong word.

Most of us who saw it in the theaters when it first came out wondered if perhaps the projectionist had mislaid Reel 1 and Reel 3, and showed Reel 4 and 5 in reverse order, or perhaps we had just suffered from an early onset of senility.

But I would say, "confused" or "bemused" or "concerned for our fellow-movie-goers mental health after watching it" rather than "hate".

Certainly seeing the movie put me off reading the actual book for about two decades.

I'm very optimistic for this, every single shot in the trailers so far have been utterly gorgeous so absolute worst case we just get a version that does justice to the visuals. I think the casting is looking fantastic as well though, Oscar Isaac makes me more interested in Duke Leto than I've ever been from the book, I love (in very different ways) both Zendaya and Mamoa, and Chalamet just looks utterly perfect as Paul. He's got the right lithe, delicate looks to sell that he's the outcome of what he is. This is going to be the movie that has me really wanting to get out to a cinema for the first time in about 2 years by the time it comes out.

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

What I want from this film is a lot of Jessica; I fear that's not happening, in favor of focus on Paul and Chani's yong lurve, and that is going to spoil one of the many elements that made Dune memorable and so agreeably different a work, with so many layers of "historical" backstory and characterization.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised on this count. Linked below is an interview with Zendaya, where she states:

Dune was incredible. I wasn’t in it very much, so when I was watching the trailer, I was like, “Oh my gosh!” I called Timothée [Chalamet, who stars in it] and said, “Dude! You should be proud.” It is a big deal to even be a small part of something with such a massive cast. And I love sci-fi stuff too. It’s fun to escape into another world.

https://dunenewsnet.com/2020/08/zendaya-confirms-dune-trailer-ready/

I think the trailers are capitalizing on Zendaya and the romance angle to draw the under 25 demographic.

I suspect a lot of this is from visions, and the movie will end

Spoiler

when Paul is taken in by the Fremen, or shortly after his first kill.

Yeah interesting thanks, I really think that last trailer was the ‘ grab the mainstream audience’ trailer designed for people who know nothing about Dune and just want some cool popcorn shit. The romance combined with the odd humour was off putting but I don’t think it reflects the movie as a whole 

5 hours ago, IFR said:

I think you may be pleasantly surprised on this count. Linked below is an interview with Zendaya, where she states:

Dune was incredible. I wasn’t in it very much, so when I was watching the trailer, I was like, “Oh my gosh!” I called Timothée [Chalamet, who stars in it] and said, “Dude! You should be proud.” It is a big deal to even be a small part of something with such a massive cast. And I love sci-fi stuff too. It’s fun to escape into another world.

https://dunenewsnet.com/2020/08/zendaya-confirms-dune-trailer-ready/

I think the trailers are capitalizing on Zendaya and the romance angle to draw the under 25 demographic.

I suspect a lot of this is from visions, and the movie will end

Hide contents

when Paul is taken in by the Fremen, or shortly after his first kill.

That interview to which you linked is a year old.

50 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That interview to which you linked is a year old.

So? The movie finished filming two years ago, so I’d assume it’s still accurate. The delays have been COVID related, not because of reshoots or additional filming. 

21 hours ago, Zorral said:

- in the novel there really isn't that much Chani, particularly as she conveniently dies,

Not in the first novel she doesn't?

It's true that she isn't as much in the actual action as the trailer makes it seem but even allowing for the stated likelyhood that they're upping her presence in the promos coz she's a really big draw, there's a lot of semi-background stuff that is skimmed on the page but is likely to be a bit more emphasised in the visuals that she'll be around in. Plenty of scenes they can draw images of her from without actually having boosted the love angle- I don't think they're going to Les Miserables it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/08/02/magazine/jason-momoa-interview.html?

. . . .I saw a preview screening of “Dune” and — Oh, you lucky [expletive]. How great is that?

It was a cool movie to see on a big screen. It was a cool movie. You know what they need to do? They need to make the four-to-six hour version of the first half. *4
 It’s like, “Let’s watch the four-to-five-hour movie like a TV show; I can choose when I want to watch the whole thing.” I want to see Denis’s whole vision. I don’t want it to be trimmed.

*4 - The new “Dune” film is the first part of an intended two-part series.

A lot of your character’s dialogue is heavy sci-fi exposition. *5  How did you think about the challenge of delivering that material in an interesting way? 

That scene was terrifying. I’m like, “If you [expletive] this up, Momoa.” . . .

*5 In “Dune,” Momoa plays the swashbuckling Duncan Idaho, sent by House Atreides to become an ambassador to the Fremen of the planet Arrakis. And if that’s jibber-jabber to you, I highly recommend reading Frank Herbert’s book before seeing the movie.

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/08/02/magazine/jason-momoa-interview.html?

. . . .I saw a preview screening of “Dune” and — Oh, you lucky [expletive]. How great is that?

It was a cool movie to see on a big screen. It was a cool movie. You know what they need to do? They need to make the four-to-six hour version of the first half. *4
 It’s like, “Let’s watch the four-to-five-hour movie like a TV show; I can choose when I want to watch the whole thing.” I want to see Denis’s whole vision. I don’t want it to be trimmed.

*4 - The new “Dune” film is the first part of an intended two-part series.

A lot of your character’s dialogue is heavy sci-fi exposition. *5  How did you think about the challenge of delivering that material in an interesting way? 

That scene was terrifying. I’m like, “If you [expletive] this up, Momoa.” . . .

*5 In “Dune,” Momoa plays the swashbuckling Duncan Idaho, sent by House Atreides to become an ambassador to the Fremen of the planet Arrakis. And if that’s jibber-jabber to you, I highly recommend reading Frank Herbert’s book before seeing the movie.

If you haven’t read the book… you should.

• 2 weeks later...

'Dune' Sequel Will Switch Leads to Zendaya's Chani, Assuming We Get One

I think that's fine if that's what they do.  It's a slight shift in POV but still the story we know.  Is Paul even relatable after getting high on the spice?  Worm adrenochrome doesn't make for the most coherent sounding tour guide for this narrative, unless we have awful voice-overs.

But I'm skeptical Villaneuve meant more than she going to be the co-star rather than just in the scene or two as with the first movie.  The entertainment press is what it is and will get things wrong.

Archived