DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

16 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

'Dune' Sequel Will Switch Leads to Zendaya's Chani, Assuming We Get One

I think that's fine if that's what they do.  It's a slight shift in POV but still the story we know.  Is Paul even relatable after getting high on the spice?  Worm adrenochrome doesn't make for the most coherent sounding tour guide for this narrative, unless we have awful voice-overs.

But I'm skeptical Villaneuve meant more than she going to be the co-star rather than just in the scene or two as with the first movie.  The entertainment press is what it is and will get things wrong.

Just guesses, but the first movie will probably be the events of Part One, maybe up to the Lady Jessica purifying The Water of Life and Paul accepting his destiny and ending with a raid against one of the Sardaukar concentration camps, which is obviously super Paul and Leto centered. Second movie would be where you let Chani flesh out her father's plans for reshaping Rakis. The structure of the second movie writes itself, Paul leading the war while Chain and the Lady Jessica are introducing the audience to the intricacies of Fremen culture.

So if Paul is reduced mostly to an action leader, and then goes into his coma, you're going to need a new lead. Chani fits the bill perfectly, I was surprised to see people dismissing and disrespecting her value to the story. To Usul. He, uh, really fucking likes her. Like a lot. 

Each character has been getting a short promo, but I'm posting this one, because I'm thinking they screwed up something here.

No, it's not the change from male to female. It's the name. She gets introduced as Dr. Liet-Kynes, but in the book the Atreides only knew the planetologist as Dr. Kynes. And they knew that the enigmatic leader of the Fremen was called Liet. So I am curious how they're treating this. Maybe in the movie, they just won't know the name of the Fremen leader, but it seems odd to do it like this.

Villeneuve says that making the Dune sequel would be a priority, if he gets to make it. And thinks this could maybe be a trilogy by also making Dune Messiah. However, he has started worked on his next project; his long-standing dream of making a movie about Cleopatra. https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1817972/denis-villeneuve-dunes-mostra-venise

So it sounds like it may be a while before Dune II comes out, assuming it ever does.

I guess having Timothee age a few more years won't be a bad thing, but I hope this doesn't mean recasting some of the other actors due to scheduling conflicts. 

With all the  talk of this movie ending well short of the end of the book, I guess I had assumed that they had filmed the follow up at the same time a la LotR or Infinity War. 

Bummer.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

With all the  talk of this movie ending well short of the end of the book, I guess I had assumed that they had filmed the follow up at the same time a la LotR or Infinity War. 

Bummer.

Nope. Seems like it was a combo of that being too big a financial risk without seeing how the first one does, and no one, including Peter Jackson at this point, knows how Peter Jackson was able to direct the LotR the way he did. At least with Infinity War/Endgame the full logistical power of Marvel Studios was there to help.

And every other back-to-back film production I can think had at least one of the parts be noticeably worse than the other (I guess you could argue otherwise for Back to the Future 2 and 3) and seemed like a beyond miserable time for the director. So it's probably for the best that it didn't happen here.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the IGN review which was much less glowing, saying that it looked great but was clearly a movie that had been split in two and had pacing problems.

Not sure I generally go by IGN for my opinions but was a worrying thing to hear, especially if it isn’t clear whether they are going to make that sequel 

7 reviews so far on Rotten Tomatoes, 5 positive, 2 negative: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dune_2021

Variety and Vanity Fair did not like it much at all. And the 5 positives aren't all in on the movie either; a couple say that it suffers from some pretty bad third act problems and needs Part 2 to get made to make narrative sense.

54 minutes ago, Fez said:

7 reviews so far on Rotten Tomatoes, 5 positive, 2 negative: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dune_2021

Variety and Vanity Fair did not like it much at all. And the 5 positives aren't all in on the movie either; a couple say that it suffers from some pretty bad third act problems and needs Part 2 to get made to make narrative sense.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the movie from what I've read, but this is not a promising start for Part 2 to be made, unfortunately.

I do laugh at the criticism of self-serious, though. That seems to be short hand for it's a drama that I don't like. 

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Its now up to 23/4 with all critics? Although with 'top critics' it seems to be 11/4, but even so that's a ~75% fresh rating.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

There was a 7-minute standing ovation at Venice for it, as reported on Deadline. 

https://deadline.com/2021/09/dune-premiere-seven-minute-standing-ovation-venice-film-festival-1234827036/

Of this we make what we will, or, will not!  Ha!

I desperately want to see this film.

Archived