DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s not irritating… at all…

:shakes visibly with irritation:

Maybe it’s COVID related but I doubt it. I think Warner Bros doesn’t believe in its own movie and that it can be successful in North America. So they release it first in Europe, where the Movie can build up some serious hype, which it does. I mean it’s crazy, alone in Germany the movie (as the opening sequence to the whole saga) has been called the biggest cinematic thing since LOTR (major TV channel) and was praised as a masterpiece of our times with important messages for us right now (another major TV channel, maybe still shaken by Afghanistan who knows). The biggest German newspaper called it the most important film of the year (remember: we are speaking Sci-Fi Fantasy here). 

The Hype really is real. This movie is basically pushed by reviews and cultural and political commentators alone! 

Yeah, and so Warner Bros uses this to tell its North American audience: see? do not fear! Do not doubt! GO WATCH THE MOVIE.

1 hour ago, Arakan said:

Maybe it’s COVID related but I doubt it. I think Warner Bros doesn’t believe in its own movie and that it can be successful in North America. So they release it first in Europe, where the Movie can build up some serious hype, which it does. I mean it’s crazy, alone in Germany the movie (as the opening sequence to the whole saga) has been called the biggest cinematic thing since LOTR (major TV channel) and was praised as a masterpiece of our times with important messages for us right now (another major TV channel, maybe still shaken by Afghanistan who knows). The biggest German newspaper called it the most important film of the year (remember: we are speaking Sci-Fi Fantasy here). 

The Hype really is real. This movie is basically pushed by reviews and cultural and political commentators alone! 

Yeah, and so Warner Bros uses this to tell its North American audience: see? do not fear! Do not doubt! GO WATCH THE MOVIE.

Oh, I’ve been a Dune fan for at least 37 years.  It was probably the first book I ever read with some philosophic depth to it.  

I’m going to see this film.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Oh, I’ve been a Dune fan for at least 37 years.  It was probably the first book I ever read with some philosophic depth to it.  

I’m going to see this film.

I know Scot that you are a fan ;). But it’s the Mainstream guy who will decide ultimately what will happen with the series. Shout it out loud so that the whole of North Carolina might hear you :).

12 hours ago, Arakan said:

Just finished watching it. Yes. This was Dune. Maybe another director might do it differently. But this movie catches the essence of Dune. 

But please be aware. Movie 1 is basically just the prologue/introduction. The moment it really gets interesting, it stops. But that’s ok. 

Cinematography 10/10
Score 8/10
Sound 10/10
Editing 10/10

Artistic creativity 9/10
Cast 10/10
Plot 8/10 

Overall 8/10. 2 more movies for Book 1 :).

And yes. The way Ian McEllen always was Gandalf, the same way Chalamet was born to be Paul. He is Paul. And there never will be another one. 

2 8's, a 9, and 4 10's does not equal 8 overall. Strict marker. 

6 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Villeneuve seems to have pondered a 3rd movie recently, but I assumed he might actually consider filming Dune Messiah. After all, a big chunk of the book was designed if not written at the same time as Dune itself.

Would make sense, since it is also centered on Paul himself, unlike Children of Dune. If both parts of his Dune are focused on Paul (reflecting the book), it's quite a logical next step.

I'm fairly sure the third movie is Dune Messiah.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/denis-villeneuve-dune-trilogy-dune-messiah-1234659470/

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

2 8's, a 9, and 4 10's does not equal 8 overall. Strict marker. 

My dear friend, your algebra skills are good as I can see ;).  I didn’t list all single criteria and the overall evaluation is not necessarily 100% correlative to single, technical aspects and their evaluation. 

The film is good, very good but it’s just the introduction and set up basically.

Just had a look at the release schedule. It really is madness in this day and age and makes little sense anyway. I hope it won’t hurt the movie‘s profitability…

Basically all of the big European markets getting release 15-17 September, except UK and Poland (both 21/22 October). Same in Far East (in Taiwan it’s already released, Japan and Korea have to wait another month). All over the place.

1 hour ago, Loge said:

Let’s see. It all depends on how successful this movie is. There is enough material to make the first book into three (which I would support). 

Even this one is actually very fast paced, out of necessity, leaving so much worldbuilding and secondary characters rather behind (Piter, Yueh, Shadout Mapes, Thuffir). If there ever will be released a 30/45min longer DC, I am all ears. 

But I don’t complain because those were the restrictions with which Villeneuve had to work. 

2 hours ago, Arakan said:

Just had a look at the release schedule. It really is madness in this day and age and makes little sense anyway. I hope it won’t hurt the movie‘s profitability…

Basically all of the big European markets getting release 15-17 September, except UK and Poland (both 21/22 October). Same in Far East (in Taiwan it’s already released, Japan and Korea have to wait another month). All over the place.

Well maybe they want to hurt profitability? Hollywood accounting is an arcane science. 

10 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Villeneuve seems to have pondered a 3rd movie recently, but I assumed he might actually consider filming Dune Messiah. After all, a big chunk of the book was designed if not written at the same time as Dune itself.

Would make sense, since it is also centered on Paul himself, unlike Children of Dune. If both parts of his Dune are focused on Paul (reflecting the book), it's quite a logical next step.

Oh, yes, an adaptation of 'Dune Messiah' is apparently planned. Villeneuve wants to do that.

The score of Zimmermann is good but not really outstanding. Honestly I expected more. It’s the typical oriental/balkan tunes 300 style but in dissonant Crescendo. That’s how I would describe it. It fits but that’s it. I swear I heart a dissonant version of „Zaidi Zaidi“. But it’s good. 

something like that but really in dissonance and crescendo, presumably to transport the „pain“ and „suffering“. 

18 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

:p

I'm wonder of there is a Denethor moment for you. ;)

We will find out.  :)

I’m still quite nervous for Momoa as Duncan.  He’s a subtle character, particularly, later in the series.  Momoa (though I always enjoy his performances) doesn’t strike me as someone with a great deal of range.

I hope I’m wrong.

5 hours ago, Arakan said:

Basically all of the big European markets getting release 15-17 September, except UK and Poland (both 21/22 October). 

As far as I know it's actually October 15th in Poland, not 22nd. And the reason I heard was to avoid piracy after HBO Max release.

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We will find out.  :)

I’m still quite nervous for Momoa as Duncan.  He’s a subtle character, particularly, later in the series.  Momoa (though I always enjoy his performances) doesn’t strike me as someone with a great deal of range.

I hope I’m wrong.

Duncan at the beginning is quite the easy going Maverick kind of guy, a womanizer and always with a joke on his lips. Fierce warrior as well. All in all, the „your best friend, worst enemy“ kind of guy. Momoa pulls this facette off quite well. 

5 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

As far as I know it's actually October 15th in Poland, not 22nd. And the reason I heard was to avoid piracy after HBO Max release.

Nope. According to official Dune Insta it’s 22nd of October. 

Archived