DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

I watched it w/ 5.1 surround sound and didn't notice anything w/ the sound.  My system might be tuned a bit differently, but I thought the sound was as good as the visuals, and the visuals were stunning.

The wikipedia page on Dune has some interesting details.

• Sting was supposed to be Feyd-Rautha in Jodorowsky's Dune too.
  • Ridley Scott was hired by Dino De Laurentiis to direct from a script by Herbert himself.  Scott wanted to split it into two films.
  • Lynch was offered the director's job on Return of the Jedi, but decided to do Dune instead.

4 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Haven't seen the movie yet but did they really remove most of the Islamic influences? I remember in one of the trailers they changed "jihad" to "crusade", which as a Muslim I found incredibly annoying.

In the movie Paul says "holy war". Lisan al-Gaib is mentioned numerous times and the Fremen speak a language that to my untrained ear sounds Arabic.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

In the movie Paul says "holy war". Lisan al-Gaib is mentioned numerous times and the Fremen speak a language that to my untrained ear sounds Arabic.

And some Fremen were basically calling Paul "Mahdi", or wondering if he was.

Though it's possible they entirely drop the "jihad" word. We'll see with part 2. As long as they then stick to some generic "holy war" instead of replacing it at some point with "crusade", since it would be pointless to replace a loaded (in the West) word for another loaded word.

Archived