DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

No, the most daring aspect of Dune is how much unease it creates around the idea of a chosen one.

Paul’s reluctance to fall into the role created for him isn’t the usual self-doubt, but the dread of someone who begins to believe he’s meant to initiate a holy war. Being the hero of the story has never looked so poisoned.

If a reviewer felt it, then Vileneuve definitely felt it strong enough to make the point quite strongly in the movie. Possibly more strongly than Herbert dared to in the book - though he was quite openly admitting that it's the main point of Dune: beware of the Great Man, of the Saviour, for it is not good for society and mankind, the risks are huge and it always end up badly, if not when the Gread Leader is alive, definitely when he's gone. So, this is really great; Dune isn't a white saviour daydream, Dune is a cautionary tale in which the alleged "white saviour" makes things horrible for everyone - natives, his own tribe, and everyone else around.

17 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

If a reviewer felt it, then Vileneuve definitely felt it strong enough to make the point quite strongly in the movie. Possibly more strongly than Herbert dared to in the book - though he was quite openly admitting that it's the main point of Dune: beware of the Great Man, of the Saviour, for it is not good for society and mankind, the risks are huge and it always end up badly, if not when the Gread Leader is alive, definitely when he's gone. So, this is really great; Dune isn't a white saviour daydream, Dune is a cautionary tale in which the alleged "white saviour" makes things horrible for everyone - natives, his own tribe, and everyone else around.

And it comes at an auspicious time, though only those who want to understand it, will understand it.

It felt pretty strong in the book to me, even on the first reading it stuck out big enough I had to stop and think about what Paul was thinking. And I was so young and inexperienced then it's not as though I had the kind of awareness so many people do now at the age I was then.

49 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

If a reviewer felt it, then Vileneuve definitely felt it strong enough to make the point quite strongly in the movie. Possibly more strongly than Herbert dared to in the book

Says good things, right?

Just finished watching it. Yes. This was Dune. Maybe another director might do it differently. But this movie catches the essence of Dune. 

But please be aware. Movie 1 is basically just the prologue/introduction. The moment it really gets interesting, it stops. But that’s ok. 

Cinematography 10/10
Score 8/10
Sound 10/10
Editing 10/10

Artistic creativity 9/10
Cast 10/10
Plot 8/10 

Overall 8/10. 2 more movies for Book 1 :).

And yes. The way Ian McEllen always was Gandalf, the same way Chalamet was born to be Paul. He is Paul. And there never will be another one. 

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Wait what? Since when?

Anyway, got my ticket for tomorrow. First time to the cinema since before Covid.

Naaah just my speculation ;). But it would make sense, given where the first movie ends.

Just watched it. It is pretty good, completely captures the core of the story. The desert comes alive, and pretty much all the actors are great, especially Chalamet, Furguson, and Isaac.

And there are hints that we are going to see Feyd-Rautha and perhaps even Hasimir Fenring in the next movies - Gaius Helen Mohiam explicitly says that they have other candidates for the Kwisatz Haderach in reserve should Paul fail.

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Just watched it. It is pretty good, completely captures the core of the story. The desert comes alive, and pretty much all the actors are great, especially Chalamet, Furguson, and Isaac.

And there are hints that we are going to see Feyd-Rautha and perhaps even Hasimir Fenring in the next movies - Gaius Helen Mohiam explicitly says that they have other candidates for the Kwisatz Haderach in reserve should Paul fail.

What’s your impression regarding the next movies? 1 or 2? Given the pacing of this one, I am almost sure 2 more are necessary. 

Spoiler

It would even make sense. Focus the second movie on Paul gaining leadership of the Fremen with his fight against Rabban as major plotline. Secondary plotlines could focus on the Bene Gesserit, the Emperor and the Spacing Guild. IMO there‘s simply too much content for one additional movie.

10 minutes ago, Arakan said:

What’s your impression regarding the next movies? 1 or 2? Given the pacing of this one, I am almost sure 2 more are necessary. 

Hide contents

It would even make sense. Focus the second movie on Paul gaining leadership of the Fremen with his fight against Rabban as major plotline. Secondary plotlines could focus on the Bene Gesserit, the Emperor and the Spacing Guild. IMO there‘s simply too much content for one additional movie.

The plan so far seems to be one more movie. That's what I got from the wikipedia article at least.

I'd expect that the second movie is going to focus in no small degree on the repercussions of Shaddam's betrayal of the Atreides. The Landsraad and the fear of the great houses that the Sardaukar might come knocking has been mentioned, so that might play a role there. Of course, everything will eventually be overshadowed by the Fremen sabotaging the spice harvesting.

They will have to introduce the Imperial court and stuff since they were so far completely absent aside from Mohiam and the Sardaukar.

I don't see much potential for a third movie, since there isn't a clear point for another split. I'd expect that the Fremen crusade against the Harkonnen and Paul's rise to leader will coincide. Paul will come up with the plan to draw the Emperor to Arrakis and blackmail everybody.

Pretty good that finally the whole Missionaria Protective thing was mentioned - not explicitly but the concept is there. And with that the entire 'savior plot' thing really smells as bad as it is supposed to in the book.

Villeneuve seems to have pondered a 3rd movie recently, but I assumed he might actually consider filming Dune Messiah. After all, a big chunk of the book was designed if not written at the same time as Dune itself.

Would make sense, since it is also centered on Paul himself, unlike Children of Dune. If both parts of his Dune are focused on Paul (reflecting the book), it's quite a logical next step.

39 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Villeneuve seems to have pondered a 3rd movie recently, but I assumed he might actually consider filming Dune Messiah. After all, a big chunk of the book was designed if not written at the same time as Dune itself.

Would make sense, since it is also centered on Paul himself, unlike Children of Dune. If both parts of his Dune are focused on Paul (reflecting the book), it's quite a logical next step.

The first three books are one saga, always were and always will be ;)

I pray to the Worm that Dune (Book 1) will be made in 3 parts. I just cannot see how else you get all the interesting world building stuff into the movies. And it would allow for smooth pacing for all three. And there is enough material in the book anyway. 

Movie Two:
- Main plot: Paul becoming leader of the Fremen and embracing his powers (plus background stuff Kwisatz Haderach), war against Rabban
- sub plots: Imperial court, Bene Gesserit, Spacing Guild
End: Paul kills Rabban, defeat Harkonnen, takes de facto planet (except Arakeen); emperor decides let’s go to Arrakis (huge fleet arrives in orbit of Arrakis, The end)

Movie Three: the fight for Arrakis

With Dune Messiah the problem is the time gap and the narrative shift. It has to be its own movie, a bit detached from the previous ones, to give it breathing room. 

31 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Did the film get released in Europe earlier than in the US???

:(

Yes. On Wednesday. Why they wait another month to release it in the US, in the age of global fanbases and the Internet, might be another one of Warner Bros glorious business decisions. 

9 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Yes. On Wednesday. Why they wait another month to release it in the US, in the age of global fanbases and the Internet, might be another of Warner Bros glorious business decisions. 

That’s not irritating… at all…

:shakes visibly with irritation:

Archived