DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

Should I watch it a 4th time in cinema?

I think I have one friend left who has no to seen it. I think I have to do it for the greater good!

Don't judge me!

Edit: None of the people I saw it with are big SF fans and only my mum is a reader and read Dune in the 80s(but remembered only the plot of the 2 half lol. We suspect they split the book into two in German and that she never read the first one).  All of them enjoyed it a lot. I think it is far more accessible than people like us who know the plot suspect and the visuals and the sounds are magnificent in cinema.

Edit2: Lady Jessica does feel like the pivotal character. I really dig the performance of Rebecca Ferguson.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:56 PM, Zorral said:

Villeneuve was 14 when he first saw the book, an edition with an arresting cover in the small library near his school in Trois-Rivières, Quebec: the face of a dark-skinned man with piercing blue eyes against a remote desert background. It was beautiful, he told me, lifting a copy with the same cover from his desk.

Ah yes, that one:

https://images.noosfere.org/couv/p/pp5069-1981.jpg

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

So ... Thursday is the night, here in the USA.

Not till December in Aus. It's like going back to the 90s and I really didn't want to do that lol. I've been planning on seeing this as my first "going back out into the world post lockdown" treat but that was before it was pushed again. If I can see it at home before then I'll cave and do that, then just see it in the theatre when it finally arrives.

44 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

If it hits HBO Max Thursday I'm staying home, not going to the theater.

They Say it is on Max this Thursday.  I wonder if the same thing will happen that did with the final episode of Mare of Easton -- so many tuned in HBO crashed, so people like me didn't get to see who did it until the next day.

It'll be like my experience today going for the flu shot -- assured several times it was offered as a walk-in and no appointment necessary, in fact "we don't do appointments."  And sure nuff, "We don't have enough flu vaccine for walk-ins, so you must make an appointment."  So I did -- with an M.D. who also is an acupuncturist, which means it will be a better experience than the pharmacy anyway.

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They Say it is on Max this Thursday.  I wonder if the same thing will happen that did with the final episode of Mare of Easton -- so many tuned in HBO crashed, so people like me didn't get to see who did it until the next day.

It'll be like my experience today going for the flu shot -- assured several times it was offered as a walk-in and no appointment necessary, in fact "we don't do appointments."  And sure nuff, "We don't have enough flu vaccine for walk-ins, so you must make an appointment."  So I did -- with an M.D. who also is an acupuncturist, which means it will be a better experience than the pharmacy anyway.

The pharmacist who gave me my flu shot did a wonderful job.  Barely felt the jab.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The pharmacist who gave me my flu shot did a wonderful job.  Barely felt the jab.

As this isn't the right thread for the discussion, all I'll say is my pharmacist resents the hell at being asked to do vaccinations, because "I am a pharmcist, not a nurse," and does them very badly.  

The important thing is I'll get to see DUNE soon -- sometime, via MAX.

35 minutes ago, Krishtotter said:

I'm watching Dune on Thursday night at the Cineworld IMAX in Leicester Square, London.

From the UK, so no streaming service for me.

It’s crazy there is no streaming option here. I don’t know how I’m going to be able to watch, i can barely find the time to go to the cinema any more. I’m not going to find a stream because I NEED there to be a sequel to this movie 

19 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Just sharing this Dune related story after a few of you have commented on appreciation for the SciFi mini series. Apparently McAvoys presence was apparent even to other actors

That is an awesome story. I also remember being almost shaken by McAvoys power in Children of Dune, he was better than anyone had any right to be on something like that.

I like the idea that James McAvoy took acting advice the perennially underrated Claudia Black to heart (also, great to see Black recently in The Nevers, and hope we see more of her).

On 10/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, karaddin said:

Just sharing this Dune related story after a few of you have commented on appreciation for the SciFi mini series. Apparently McAvoys presence was apparent even to other actors

I love Claudia Black she is an amazing actor.  It’s a crying shame she didn’t get better roles after Farscape folded. Thank you for sharing this.

Archived