DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I love Claudia Black she is an amazing actor.  It’s a crying shame she didn’t get better roles after Farscape folded. Thank you for sharing this.

She has an outstanding role in The Nevers, which hopefully will recur.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I’ll have to give that a view.  :)

She is an amazing actor who bring incredible pathos to any role she takes I sincerely hope McAvoy’s call out gives her some traction.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Yeah I'm very much hoping for that. It doesn't hurt that it felt like the story really hit it's stride at the point she came into it as well, but she was my favourite thing in it.

Michael Dirda writes about Frank Herbert. It is a lovely encomium to both the author and Villeneuve's film.

" ‘Dune’ has long divided the science fiction world. The new film won’t change that."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/dune-herbert-novel-film/2021/10/21/b9288f5c-31f9-11ec-93e2-dba2c2c11851_story.html

It begins with these two paragraphs:

In the spring of 1984, the American Booksellers Association held its annual convention here in Washington. One evening, Book World — The Washington Post’s then stand-alone literary supplement — hosted a cocktail party on the roof of the paper’s now demolished headquarters at 15th and L streets NW. As I wandered around, doing my feeble best to be sociable, I noticed one gentleman standing alone, looking a bit overwhelmed but also vaguely familiar. It was Frank Herbert, whom I didn’t at first recognize because he had recently shaved off his iconic beard.

At that point I simply abandoned my attempts at glad-handing. Over the next hour Herbert and I sat in the fading sunshine and talked and talked, though only a little about “Dune” because our conversation kept drifting back to Jack Vance, Herbert’s good friend and probably the most imaginative world-builder in postwar science fiction. That conversation led me to suspect that “Dune” was, in part, Herbert’s attempt to rival Vance by envisioning every aspect of an alien civilization, including its people’s clothing, cultural traditions and religious rituals. ....

Herbert and Vance were best friends and went on holiday together. In fact, Herbert was on holiday with Vance when saw the dunes that inspired the story.

Anyway, saw the film today. It was reasonably solid, better than Lynch at worldbuilding and storytelling (and vfx, obviously), but I fear weaker in characterisation, especially the secondary roles. Thufir, Piter and Yueh are all poorly fleshed-out, Piter to the point where he might as well not be in it 

Spoiler

his sole saving grace is his trip to Salusa Secundus.

The score was also physically painful. The mix was turned up so high it left my head ringing worse than after a heavy metal concert, and in several key dialogue moments I couldn't tell WTF people were saying because Zimmer was going apeshit in the background.

Finally seeing proper ornithopters was fantastic though, and Momoa was far less dudebro than I was fearing and ended up being quite good. Oscar Isaac's beard was also powerfully charistmatic.

Overall, four out of five gom jabbars.

Herbert and Vance also built a houseboat together, with Poul Anderson. To have been a fly on the walls when they were enjoying the evening, jazz on the record player, and talking shop...

Did you watch it in IMAX, I wonder? Because this bit:

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The score was also physically painful. The mix was turned up so high it left my head ringing worse than after a heavy metal concert, and in several key dialogue moments I couldn't tell WTF people were saying because Zimmer was going apeshit in the background.

was the exact same thing that happened to me when I watched Blade Runner 2049 in the Vue Cinemas IMAX theatre in Manchester. It was a major distraction and definitely detracted from the experience.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Herbert and Vance also built a houseboat together, with Poul Anderson. To have been a fly on the walls when they were enjoying the evening, jazz on the record player, and talking shop...

Did you watch it in IMAX, I wonder? Because this bit:

was the exact same thing that happened to me when I watched Blade Runner 2049 in the Vue Cinemas IMAX theatre in Manchester. It was a major distraction and definitely detracted from the experience.

No, I didn't see it in IMAX (I'm not a fan of the format). Blade Runner 2049 was loud as well but nowhere near this bad. It was a relatively small screen though, so that may have contributed.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Reveal hidden contents

his sole saving grace is his trip to Salusa Secundus.

This pretty much decides it for me where I will see it - HBO Max with subtitles. 

Watching this took no time at all!  If I'd made book HBO Max would crash I'd have lost my put by golly.

Not as rich by any means as reading the novel, particularly the first times as a kid.  Superb though in the visualizations.

Nevertheless, whatever disappointments I have, such as the loss of the banquet, it's clear this is a film of Dune made by a person who knows the novel intimately and cares for it.  (We have all seen other adaptations about which we cannot say the same.)

How wonderful to have parts 2  -- and three? -- to watch back-to-back, if they are made (I kinda guess they will be made).

30 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Watching this took no time at all!  If I'd made book HBO Max would crash I'd have lost my put by golly.

Not as rich by any means as reading the novel, particularly the first times as a kid.  Superb though in the visualizations.

Nevertheless, whatever disappointments I have, such as the loss of the banquet, it's clear this is a film of Dune made by a person who knows the novel intimately and cares for it.  (We have all seen other adaptations about which we cannot say the same.)

How wonderful to have parts 2  -- and three? -- to watch back-to-back, if they are made (I kinda guess they will be made).

I just finished.  

Interesting that neither the Emperor nor Irulan are in this film.  I liked Liet, a lot.  The way the film playes with the flow of Prescience was interesting, Paul seeing multiple possibilities that directly contradict actual events.

I’m looking forward to part two.

I just wasn't a fan. I read the book about 3 or 4 years ago and felt the pacing just seemed off. Certain scenes dragged and others just didn't live up to the novel. Like the first time we see one of the worms in the novel, just felt more epic, than how it was portrayed in the film. Even the Sci-fi channels mini series, did a better job of making that moment seem more epic, IMO

Saw it, loved it, though I largely agree with Wert. The mixing of the music was annoyingly loud at points. Chalamet, in particular, mumbles most of his lines and is regularly overpowered by the score.

That said it's visually sumptuous, well acted, and captures the spirit of the book well. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen if you can manage it. Even with the sound issues.

That said, I might watch it on HBO Max just so I can turn on subtitles. 

3 hours ago, Durckad said:

Saw it, loved it, though I largely agree with Wert. The mixing of the music was annoyingly loud at points. Chalamet, in particular, mumbles most of his lines and is regularly overpowered by the score.

That said it's visually sumptuous, well acted, and captures the spirit of the book well. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen if you can manage it. Even with the sound issues.

That said, I might watch it on HBO Max just so I can turn on subtitles. 

Ah, that explains it, the score. Yeah, I heard most of Chalamet's lines, as well as most main characters, but I was thinking my one main criticism of this movie was some of the side characters weren't speaking their lines clearly. I don't have the best hearing though and wondered if I was to blame. Anyway great movie though, glad I saw it on the big screen. That was epic seeing those worms from row 2.

I hope we get to see some of David Bautista kicking ass in the next movie. They kind of underused him this movie.

Archived