Jump to content

DUNE: For Want of Little Makers


whatever...

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Have to say this newest trailer strikes fear into my heart. Fear, the little death, the mind killer. This is looking verrrrrry Hollywood 


Of course it does. So did Blade Runner 2049 from the trailers. They have to sell it to a mass audience. But it's Villeneuve, so I'm not worried. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Thanks for posting the score samples. I know Zimmer gets a bad rap, but I'm a fan of his work. The alien sound fits Dune perfectly.

Zimmer gets a bad rap for phoning in a good chunk of his work, over-re-using previous material and, if in doubt, throwing out loud PARRRRPS for no particular reason. However, when he's in the zone, he's superb. And as he says, he's been an obsessive fan of Dune since a teenager, lobbied Denis to make this movie and basically threw his decades-long collaboration with Nolan out the window to do it. So he does sound like he's in the zone for this one.

For the humour, I think what we saw was fine. In the original Dune there was warmth and humour between the Atreides family members and their retainers, which the Lynch version downplayed. As long as they don't go too overboard with it, it'll be fine. They are certainly focusing on Momoa for possible long-term franchise reasons (though I think the movie-adaptation potential of, at least, God Emperor is doubtful; the rest you can work with).

And I think lots more people will show up to this then Blade Runner 2049. The cast is absolutely stacked. Star power doesn't mean what it used to, but the sheer number of hot-at-the-moment actors in the film has definitely raised interest. They're also leaning on the epic visuals (lots of action, which there wasn't in BR2049). I don't discount the possibility of the film still not making the probably $1 billion+ the studio are hoping for, but I think it'll be a big beneficiary of coming out hopefully when there's more confidence in going to the cinema post-pandemic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Zimmer gets a bad rap for phoning in a good chunk of his work, over-re-using previous material and, if in doubt, throwing out loud PARRRRPS for no particular reason. However, when he's in the zone, he's superb. And as he says, he's been an obsessive fan of Dune since a teenager, lobbied Denis to make this movie and basically threw his decades-long collaboration with Nolan out the window to do it. So he does sound like he's in the zone for this one.

His DC films stuff is fantastic, partly for not trying to emulate the stuff that came before. Hearing that breakdown in "The Dream is Collapsing" had me giggling like a little girl in the theater. "Time" and "Chevaliers De Sangreal" are just incredibly beautiful. 

I have no doubt his Dune score will be memorable and weird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott_N said:

I know nothing about Dune. Why are they fighting in armor, with knives as weapons? This in a culture travelling FTL and, seemingly, also mastering some sort of teleportation(?).

Shields.  Fast moving projectiles are stopped by shields.  If you fire a lasgun at a sheild it creates a feedback loop destroying the sheild generator and the lasgun user in an explosion so large it comes close to an atomic explosion.

Military operations are, therefore, limited to weapons that can be moved slowly to penetrate personal body shields.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Scott_N said:

I know nothing about Dune. Why are they fighting in armor, with knives as weapons? This in a culture travelling FTL and, seemingly, also mastering some sort of teleportation(?).

What Scott said. Because those shields that you see shimmering when they fight basically makes people immune to any physical object that moves too fast, a renaissance of fighting with swords and knives occurred after their invention.

There is no teleportation, though space travel is done through folding space, so ships jumps from one point to another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the subject of the trailer- I’m so hyped. I don’t understand how people are complaining considering previous adaptations of Dune we have had. There is almost no way this will not be the best Dune we have had. And this cast is spectacular. I cannot wait to see Josh Brolin as Gurney. Javier Bardem as Stilgar is another beautiful choice. I can’t wait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

On the subject of the trailer- I’m so hyped. I don’t understand how people are complaining considering previous adaptations of Dune we have had. There is almost no way this will not be the best Dune we have had. And this cast is spectacular. I cannot wait to see Josh Brolin as Gurney. Javier Bardem as Stilgar is another beautiful choice. I can’t wait.

Javier Bardem flat out looks like Stilgar to me.  The only casting decision I question is Momoa, I hope he shows his range in this film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Javier Bardem flat out looks like Stilgar to me.  The only casting decision I question is Momoa, I hope he shows his range in this film.

Absolutely, on both points.

Sure, Bardem might not look like he's straight from the deepest parts of Arabian peninsula or Sahara, but he's far more convincing than previous Stilgars, he's definitely a clear Mediterranean look, and he most probably had (but one might not tell it to some Spanish people) some genuine Moors/Saracens/Arabs among his ancestors, centuries ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've tried reading Dune on two separate occasions, and both times I've hit a wall about halfway in.  Now with that caveat, I thought the trailer looked pretty cool.

I never even got that far. But agree, the trailer has me interested. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...