DUNE: For Want of Little Makers

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I desperately want to see this film.

One of my all time favorite novels.  So I hope our region's internet holds out through November (and I don't get Delta-covid), since then I can watch on HBO (not theaters for me, not even for Dune).  This doesn't mean, of course, I won't be sitting down with HBO and going all what used to be known as All Missouri -- "Show me." Ha!

The Guardian with a 5/5 review. Wow. That means quite a lot insofar as the Guardian is not a fan of genre movies per se. 

And regarding those reviews which basically criticize the movie for being just part 1 of a bigger story, well what can I say. Some people need their instant gratification these days, it seems and they don’t take even 10 minutes to gather some basic facts about the source material and the adaption. 

Anyway, when IGN gives FF9 a better rating than Dune, you just know that they’re full of shit. 

7 hours ago, Arakan said:

The Guardian with a 5/5 review. Wow. That means quite a lot insofar as the Guardian is not a fan of genre movies per se. 

And regarding those reviews which basically criticize the movie for being just part 1 of a bigger story, well what can I say. Some people need their instant gratification these days, it seems and they don’t take even 10 minutes to gather some basic facts about the source material and the adaption. 

Anyway, when IGN gives FF9 a better rating than Dune, you just know that they’re full of shit. 

You’d have to pay me quite a lot to see any of the “Fast and the Furious” films.

7 hours ago, Arakan said:

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You’d have to pay me quite a lot to see any of the “Fast and the Furious” films.

Ohhhhhhhh… I was really confused why a twenty year old Final Fantasy video game was being compared to a new Dune movie.  :lol: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Ohhhhhhhh… I was really confused why a twenty year old Final Fantasy video game was being compared to a new Dune movie.  :lol: 

I was just confused.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah even if the reviews are mixed I’ll be there to watch it in the cinema, if for no other reason than I want this movie to make as much money as possible so they do actually make a sequel and don’t just half ass it, bringing out a straight to tv ending.

Yep - Covid allowing, it's likely to be my first crowded indoor gathering

On 9/4/2021 at 7:06 AM, Rhom said:

To be fair, if someone were trying to directly entice me to see a movie, making claims that it's better than Final Fantasy 9 would certainly be a way to peak my interest.

Anyway, I really hope the movie great and does well. Not even as much so that there's more Dune movies, although I would like a Part 2 at least. I just want studios to still see big budget sci fi epics as a viable choice. I still dream of getting some of Peter F Hamilton's books to screen too.

I’m really excited for this movie.  A bit disappointed that the book is being split into more than one film, but I want to be open minded that perhaps that will mean the story gets told in a better way.  (If the Hobbit can be a fucking trilogy, then there’s definitely plenty here for more than one film)

I tried for months to persuade my son to read his copy of the book before the movie gets released but he won’t prioritize it.  That will just be his loss then.

17 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m really excited for this movie.  A bit disappointed that the book is being split into more than one film, but I want to be open minded that perhaps that will mean the story gets told in a better way.  (If the Hobbit can be a fucking trilogy, then there’s definitely plenty here for more than one film)

I tried for months to persuade my son to read his copy of the book before the movie gets released but he won’t prioritize it.  That will just be his loss then.

I’m not disappointed it’s being split… as you say, there’s plenty there for 4.5-5 hours.  I am however disappointed it’s being split and didn’t film them both as if it were one movie.

If Kill Bill can do it… so can freaking Dune.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:43 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

If the Hobbit can be a fucking trilogy, then there’s definitely plenty here for more than one film)

I found them unwatchable.  I tried, more than once, but never got anywhere with any of the three.

But then, The Hobbit isn't a book I loved either, yet still resented the hell out of the huge changes that were made to it.

I do believe a two-part Dune can do a much better job than this.  That doesn't mean they will, but they could.  Also -- HERESY ALERT -- in my opinion the source material is superior that of The Hobbit.

19 hours ago, Rhom said:

I’m not disappointed it’s being split… as you say, there’s plenty there for 4.5-5 hours.  I am however disappointed it’s being split and didn’t film them both as if it were one movie.

If Kill Bill can do it… so can freaking Dune.

Both Kill Bills together cost a hundred million less than this on its own. LotR did it, but for all the popularity of Dune the novel it can't see LotR with a telescope in terms of success and inbuilt fanbase for an adaptation, yet requires a similar investment to actually make. 

I wish the investors had put the money up to make both, but I can't blame them for not risking it. 

It would indeed be awful to at once enjoy a spectacular opening salvo by Villeneuve, to then find out there's no backing the second installment.

I got faith enough for all of yah. 

I've listened to Zimmer's The Dune Sketchbook, which a short(ish) album of music from the soundtrack. The songs are pretty long, so I'm curious how much more there is. Interesting sounds and sound mixing, definitely different from most of what Zimmer has done. The closest that comes to this is Blade Runner 2049, but with plenty of differences even there. I would say it's not the type of soundtrack to enjoy without understanding the movie scenes the songs accompany.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've listened to Zimmer's The Dune Sketchbook, which a short(ish) album of music from the soundtrack. The songs are pretty long, so I'm curious how much more there is. Interesting sounds and sound mixing, definitely different from most of what Zimmer has done. The closest that comes to this is Blade Runner 2049, but with plenty of differences even there. I would say it's not the type of soundtrack to enjoy without understanding the movie scenes the songs accompany.

Song of the Sisters is pretty awesome. 

So much fascist-nazi suggestive design.  As often as I re-read Dune, that kind of imagery didn't come to me, despite the many crowd scenes -- the nature of which wasn't that consciously organized massive precision.  But in the book Leit Kynes wasn't female either.

A take on the fascist-nazi design-imagery:

https://www.vulture.com/article/dune-movie-review-denis-villeneuves-turn.html

....The most daring aspect of Dune is not that it only tells half a narrative, or that it opts to immerse its audience in its richly rendered universe, assuming they can keep up without guide ropes. It’s carried pretty far on the strength of spectacle alone, with its spaceships hanging impossibly still in the air, its thrumming Hans Zimmer score, and its pallid antagonist, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (Stellan Skarsgård channeling Marlon Brando’s Colonel Kurtz), floating around on anti-gravity boosters like a menacing balloon. No, the most daring aspect of Dune is how much unease it creates around the idea of a chosen one, from the Leni Riefenstahl–inspired military ceremony in which Leto and Paul receive their commission to take care of Arrakis to the fact that Paul is the product of eugenics. It begins with Chani talking in voiceover about the colonization of the Fremen’s land and the oppression they’ve experienced at the hands of rapacious outsiders, and then turns to a white savior whose greatness is entirely synthetic, engineered via planted prophecies and genetic manipulation. Paul’s reluctance to fall into the role created for him isn’t the usual self-doubt, but the dread of someone who begins to believe he’s meant to initiate a holy war. Being the hero of the story has never looked so poisoned, and that alone is thrilling enough to hope Villeneuve gets to make part two of this impressively batshit venture....

On 9/7/2021 at 5:23 PM, Zorral said:

I found them unwatchable.  I tried, more than once, but never got anywhere with any of the three.

But then, The Hobbit isn't a book I loved either, yet still resented the hell out of the huge changes that were made to it.

There is a fan edit that cuts everything that wasn't in a book. It lasts about 3.5 hours and is much more watchable than original films.

I really hope Dune will rise to the hype it gets. Still need to wait few weeks for a premiere here.

Archived