Romance - Regency to Modern Meet-cute and More

kairparavel

My search for previous Regency/non paranormal threads came up null so I figured I'd start a new one and go from there. 

With today's announcement of the Netflix series dropping Christmas Day, I wondered if I should check out the first book in the Bridgerton series. Also I'm curious why it's so beloved. Like really loved. So many authors I follow were practically vibrating after the announcement. What makes this series so special?

https://juliaquinn.com/series/bridgertons/

The appeal of Julia Quinn is subtle and quiet. It's an extremely gentle wit. There is something wistful about the Bridgertons. I liked Quinn from the moment I encountered the Smith-Smyth's and the annual musicale performed by their unmusical flower-named offspring. You either snuggle into it or you don't, I guess.

I didn't know there was a netflix series. Don't stream anything!

Gosh I just looked at the publication date for "The Duke and I" to refresh my memory and...20 years ago!  Yikes.  So my recollection of the series is pretty hazy at this point.  I remember enjoying the maybe first 5 books in the series but I think I stopped reading them at some point.  Quinn's books at the time they came out were popular because they were different - lighter with humor and fun titles.  And extended family series were trendy then.  I'm not sure how they would read now.  I guess maybe try the first one and see if you like it?

• 2 weeks later...

While I wait on my Bridgerton hold from the library I checked out/ placed holds on a few other books.

I started reading Truth or Beard by Penny Reid last night and so far I'm into it. It's the first in a series of 8? books about the Winston siblings. In my previous research of contemporary romance they've been highly rated. 

Nothing else is holding my attention right now. [I've started and returned both Piranesi and A Deadly Education. Neither were terrible but I just wasn't feeling either.] What I'm really in the mood for is some enemies to lovers. My preference is historical but contemporary also works. I've seen good things about The Hating Game so I'll look into that. I also have a hold on K.J. Charles' The Magpie Lord.

If there's EtL recommendations I'll take them!

On 10/16/2020 at 6:55 AM, kairparavel said:

My search for previous Regency/non paranormal threads came up null so I figured I'd start a new one and go from there. 

With today's announcement of the Netflix series dropping Christmas Day, I wondered if I should check out the first book in the Bridgerton series. Also I'm curious why it's so beloved. Like really loved. So many authors I follow were practically vibrating after the announcement. What makes this series so special?

https://juliaquinn.com/series/bridgertons/

Trailer is out :)

I can only read historical romance and in fact pretty well only regency romance (Georgian and Victoria will do but there isn't as much of that.) Basically I read Georgette Heyer then looked for more. I never read romance when I was younger but I think I have got to the stage where literary fiction doesn't interest me, and I've gone through crime fiction and out the other side. 

The weird thing is suspension of disbelief just doesn't work with contemporary romance. I have felt horrified and cheated when I pre-ordered a book by a regency romance write and find its set in contemporary times. Every aspect seems so cliched and creaky I can't get past the first page.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the first Bridgerton on loan but I'm in the midst of a gothic/Beauty and the Beast retelling phase. 

Very much enjoyed When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James, Hunted by Megan Spooner (this is YA), and now onto The Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas.

• 1 month later...

Actually looking for other sort of fun authors.  I’ve pretty much read Quinn and James.  Balogh is either great or terrible - her “voice” grates sometimes especially in her later work. Some of Loretta Chase is great, some if it is definitely mailed in, using package rates.  So thoughts?  Suggestions?  Need something totally mindless to distract me from real life - Grimdark fantasy is ... um... not helping right now.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:52 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Actually looking for other sort of fun authors.  I’ve pretty much read Quinn and James.  Balogh is either great or terrible - her “voice” grates sometimes especially in her later work. Some of Loretta Chase is great, some if it is definitely mailed in, using package rates.  So thoughts?  Suggestions?  Need something totally mindless to distract me from real life - Grimdark fantasy is ... um... not helping right now.

Gosh I just finished reading The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires and it was so bleak and awful and nightmarish for me that I went running to try to find something light and fluffy that would erase the bleakness from my mind and ended up reading one of the Stephanie Plum series I had on my kindle that I had not read yet.  Have you read any of these?  Not romance, although I was clued in to them by the romance community when they first came out and the debate over Ranger vs. Morelli.  But can be light and fun.  Most people I know have stopped reading them because there is no resolution and they are pretty repetitive.  But about once a year I really need something like this and so I continue.  And its perfect right now.

Again not romance but romance tangent, have you read Sorcery & Cecilia: or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Wrede and Stevermer? A bit YA Regency Fantasy Jane Austen sort of thing that is utterly charming.

Sorry for the non romance recs in the romance thread but I always preferred angsty heart wrenching stories which are clearly not light and fun.

Archived