Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Arteta is like the opposite of Lampard. Lamps can get his forwards playing but has no idea defensively, Arteta has Arsenal organised defensively but his only attacking idea is 'Saka's quite good give him the ball mates'.

So ... Arteta with Lampard as assistant, or Lampard with Arteta as assistant?

Tough question, usually a good coherent attacking game is harder to train. But then again, with the talent in offense Lampard has at his display, I think even Mourinho couldn'T avoid getting some sort of entertainment out of them.

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Arsenal are normally better offensively, but Arteta has been overly cautious tonight.

He might have picked up more than we know from playing under Moyes all those years ago..

Shoring up the back was what we did for years under him, then cautiously endeavouring forward. Still one of the stingiest defenses when Moyes finished his last season with a fifth place finish. Given that Arsenal's backline was more or less invisible to non-existent the last few years, it may be the way to go.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

It'd be a disaster. Joint manager appointments never work which is why the few clubs that tried it in the 90s very quickly abandoned that experiment.

Ah, but these are two very ego-free managers, who'd work very well together.

I'd love Arsenal to get away from this 3-4-3 crap, not have Willian through the middle and start running at the goal. Their attack is very one dimensional and slow. Requires precision at all times and not enough scrappiness or variety.

Side note, love Leno as a keeper but his habit of blocking shots right into the middle of the box is killing me.

Archived