Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

25 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's Van Dijk's ACL apparently. So, yeah, that's his season done.

Fucking Pickford.

Yeah, but on the other hand, still lucky, if it's only the ACL. The way Pickford went into him, he could've caused way more damage. That was just vicious, and he will definately get a retro active ban for it.

Just now, AncalagonTheBlack said:

can't ACL injuries heal in 3 months? are there different degrees of severity with regards to ACL injuries? :unsure:

I don’t think so. So far as I know you don’t really get partial ACL tears and the rehab from a ruptured ACL is 9 months.

Ornstein reporting in The Athletic that there will be no retrospective action taken against Pickford. 

Despite widespread criticism over the lack of punishment for Jordan Pickford’s challenge on Virgil van Dijk during Saturday’s Merseyside derby, the Everton goalkeeper will not face any disciplinary action.

The FA’s policy is to issue retrospective punishment only for red-card offences that are not seen by match officials at the time, including the VAR.

Liverpool were not awarded a penalty for Pickford’s tackle on Van Dijk because the Dutch defender was adjudged to be in an offside position. As reported by The Athletic on Saturday, VAR reviewed the incident but did not deem it worthy of a red card.

Of course not. Oliver saw it but he has a nasty habit of avoiding big decisions, so he left it to VAR, and that guy was apparently sat at his computer wearing his underpants on his head and sucking his thumb.

It's an absolute farce, but something like this has been due to happen for a while now really - insisting that play continues after an offside without legislating for fouls that happen during that grey area gives too much latitude to idiots.

We really need to buy a quality defender in January, someone good enough to go straight into the team. Matip is great, and I think Matip-Gomez is good enough for us to do pretty well, but I can't for the life of me see Matip staying fit for more than a month or two.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

It's an absolute farce, but something like this has been due to happen for a while now really - insisting that play continues after an offside without legislating for fouls that happen during that grey area gives too much latitude to idiots.

According to The Athletic, Pickford could have been sent off for serious foul play even though Van Dijk was adjudged to have been offside. Earlier reports claiming that the VAR only checked for offside have proven to be incorrect. This makes the decision even more egregious in that the VAR did review the tackle but decided that it wasn't serious foul play and therefore not a red card.

29 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

According to The Athletic, Pickford could have been sent off for serious foul play even though Van Dijk was adjudged to have been offside. Earlier reports claiming that the VAR only checked for offside have proven to be incorrect. This makes the decision even more egregious in that the VAR did review the tackle but decided that it wasn't serious foul play and therefore not a red card.

Makes absolutely no sense. One of the clearer red cards these last years.

(Could say clearest, but Lewis Dunk decided to show just how clear you could make it on Sunday..)

I doubt your lot are planning on signing a CB in Jan. I suspect Liverpool are planning a transfer for Upamecano whose release clause of €50m becomes active at the end of the season. A long term signing good enough to be a starter is preferable to a stop-gap January signing. Of course, Liverpool may be forced into a January signing if Matip or Gomez go down for a while as well.

So Maguire picked up an injury against Newcastle and is not travelling to Paris. Bailly has not travelled either. We've named just two CBs (Lindelof and Tuanzebe) in the travelling squad. Neymar and Mbappe were going to make our defence twerk anyway but things could get quite ugly now. The chances of collecting another six have just gone up.

Just watched the Merseyside Derby, and I can't believe the VAR review of the Pickford incident.

The VAR guy spent that entire time looking at the offside call?  That is like the city citing me for unmown grass in the yard after my house burns down.  Who is looking at these videos, and have they ever actually played a single game?

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

So Maguire picked up an injury against Newcastle and is not travelling to Paris. Bailly has not travelled either. We've named just two CBs (Lindelof and Tuanzebe) in the travelling squad. Neymar and Mbappe were going to make our defence twerk anyway but things could get quite ugly now. The chances of collecting another six have just gone up.

McTominay will maybe play CB. Hopefully alonside Tuanzebe coz I don't trust Lindelof's total lack of physicality against Neymar and Mbappe's pace at all, but unlikely.

Archived