Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

47 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I watched Chelsea hang on by a thread against a well organized and aggressive Sevilla, waiting for the defense to fuck up. They didn't and Mendy looked confident in goal, so despite the result, I'll call that a win.

It's funny how even a routine save from Mendy feels bigger than what it is because of Kepa's gaffes. Yeah, the defense did well, and in particular against set pieces. Chillwell is growing on me. a force going forward and solid defensively. Had a couple good bust ups in our 18. Mount musta caught Lampard sleeping with his mom or something. Can't understand why Lampard insists on playing him at left wing in a 4231. Not only is he out of his position but that puts Pulisic on his off wing. 

I'll take the draw against Sevilla. They're a tough side. 

ETA: Absolutely wild that Cech has been rostered as an emergency Keeper. I kinda love it, hope I never have to see it. 

14 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

It's funny how even a routine save from Mendy feels bigger than what it is because of Kepa's gaffes. Yeah, the defense did well, and in particular against set pieces. Chillwell is growing on me. a force going forward and solid defensively. Had a couple good bust ups in our 18. Mount musta caught Lampard sleeping with his mom or something. Can't understand why Lampard insists on playing him at left wing in a 4231. Not only is he out of his position but that puts Pulisic on his off wing. 

I'll take the draw against Sevilla. They're a tough side. 

ETA: Absolutely wild that Cech has been rostered as an emergency Keeper. I kinda love it, hope I never have to see it. 

Kepa is incredibly slow for a keeper of his age, and is often awkward when he comes out of the goal. Mendy managed to make that quick adjustment when the ball was deflected of Sevilla's set piece, which I'm not sure Kepa would have been able to. But it was mostly Mendy's ball playing that gave me confidence. I was not worried that he was going to gift the ball to an adversary.

Hakimi has tested positive for Covid-19. 

Bayern's game against Atleti will go ahead after the rest of the team tested negative. 

A much more serious situation developing at Shakhtar - 19 positive tests including 10 first teamers but due to Uefa regulations they are not allowed to request a postponement due to having 13 players including a GK available to play. 

36 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

A much more serious situation developing at Shakhtar - 19 positive tests including 10 first teamers but due to Uefa regulations they are not allowed to request a postponement due to having 13 players including a GK available to play. 

AZ Alkmaar have a similar situation, don't they. Have to play Napoli but have 13 players out.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

AZ Alkmaar have a similar situation, don't they. Have to play Napoli but have 13 players out.

Yep. They are in the same boat. As I understand, local authorities can still prohibit the game from taking place but there's no indication of any intention to do that.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

And I know it's a crazy idea, but maybe we should try not to fuck around at the back too much, given that Adrian is shit? Has anyone thought to suggest that? It doesn't seem the Klopp has.

Based on how much he's yelling I think he knows, he just wants them to be less shit.

Archived