Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Kepa is incredibly slow for a keeper of his age, and is often awkward when he comes out of the goal. Mendy managed to make that quick adjustment when the ball was deflected of Sevilla's set piece, which I'm not sure Kepa would have been able to. But it was mostly Mendy's ball playing that gave me confidence. I was not worried that he was going to gift the ball to an adversary.

Agreed completely. Still a really small sample size but encouraged so far. 

Seems like Gnabry might have been a false positive. An anti-gen test returned negative.

Usually I don't bother with junior level football, however Moukoko show continues. In the U19-Bundeslgia (Division West) he netted four against RW Essen in Dortmund's 6-0 victory. 10 goals in 3 games in that competition. About time he plays senior level football.

17 hours ago, Raja said:

Funny seeing Martinez palming a ball straight to bamford today after Leno did it last week ( I think people are generally harsher on Leno, especially afc fans)

Slight difference - Leno pushed his more straight out into the 16-yard box, which is a no-no.

Martinez pushed his sideways, trying to get it out of the danger zone. Textbook. 

He may have been poorly placed as the shot was taken, I don't know, but Martinez didn't do it wrong.

2 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Slight difference - Leno pushed his more straight out into the 16-yard box, which is a no-no.

Martinez pushed his sideways, trying to get it out of the danger zone. Textbook. 

He may have been poorly placed as the shot was taken, I don't know, but Martinez didn't do it wrong.

Yeah, I disagree. I think both saves push the ball into a dangerous area and where you wouldn't want you GK palming it to ( Martinez pushes it straight to the center of the goal, it's not sideways to me)

Imo, Leno has little chance given that the shot is taken from so close to him whereas Martinez has more of a chance to push it somewhere other than the center of his goal. To me though, both 'mistakes' aren't really what I would call a mistake by a keeper, I think calling it that is harsh on both Leno and Martinez.

50 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah, I disagree. I think both saves push the ball into a dangerous area and where you wouldn't want you GK palming it to ( Martinez pushes it straight to the center of the goal, it's not sideways to me)

Imo, Leno has little chance given that the shot is taken from so close to him whereas Martinez has more of a chance to push it somewhere other than the center of his goal. To me though, both 'mistakes' aren't really what I would call a mistake by a keeper, I think calling it that is harsh on both Leno and Martinez.

We'll agree to disagree, I think. 

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Useless PL officials strike again, ignoring a blatant foul by Maguire on Azpilicueta in the box.

When they're not being anal about offsides or keeper positions on penalties, VAR is basically just a fucking nodding head dog.

Wondered about this. Was a stonewall penalty in my book. 

Archived