Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

Good to have Alisson back.  Salah is looking very sharp.  Mane is so important at making something happen for us.  Robbo has started the the season really well.  The rest were a mix of OK or below their best but it’ll get better.  We’ll probably see more aerial bombardment while VVD is out.

VVD, Ox, Matip, Alisson, Thiago, Keita, Henderson, Gomez, Shaqiri have all been out injured already and we’re only six games in.  Some of them are out for the long term, some will hopefully be fully recovered soon, and some struggle to stay fit for very long. The short pre-season and all the injuries means there’s no real fluency yet.

If it wasn’t for that questionable penalty, it definitely would have been more comfortable today.

What are the VAR officials even doing?  I was watching the replay of the United-Liverpool game, and when it went to VAR for the Fabinho tackle, I thought VAR was going to rescind the foul call since he got the ball and was outside the box.

But no!  VAR gave a penalty, the most counter-intuitive possible action they could have taken on the play, wrong on both whether it was a foul (it obviously wasn't on replay) and whether it was inside the box (again, it was not, based on reviewing the play).

Maybe the FA has instructed the VAR officials to make the most useless possible rulings so as to make their eventual decision to stop using it more popular.  Or perhaps the VAR officials just hot-box the entire Saturday to keep their Friday night vibe going?  Not a lot of other good explanations for some of the decisions so far this season.

We really couldn't cope today, and I'm not about to suggest Bernard or Gordon would have improved us to the point of winning ...

But Iwobi. His decision-making is always suspect. Today, his dribbling wasn't on either, and after a while he did his thing where he misses every 5-foot pass. Personally, I'd like to see Gordon before him. Much more of a pure winger, and one who can still learn.

Archived