Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

Southampton is a very well coached team. They just lack a bit of quality due to unambitious owners who are just happy for the club to avoid relegation. Hasenhüttl is a very good coach who could easily manage a team with European ambitions. Southampton usually play good football up until the final third where they sometimes lack that quality and incisiveness which ends up hurting them - Ings has been a big hit there precisely because he does have that extra bit of quality and incisiveness in the final third. If he picks up a long term injury, the goals will really dry up for the Saints.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:13 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Here's a stat: if we concede another goal tonight, we will have the worst defensive record in the PL.

Just to put that a bit into perspective.

Remember that half the goals you conceded in the league come from the Villa game. If you took out the Villa game your defensive record would look just fine.

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Just to put that a bit into perspective.

Remember that half the goals you conceded in the league come from the Villa game. If you took out the Villa game your defensive record would look just fine.

Why would we take one league game out when talking about defensive record in the league?

Sure, it was an anomaly and all that but it still speaks volumes about Liverpool's defensive performance this season.

Regarding VAR, I think it's a great tool and would be a huge asset to the league if used properly. Unfortunately, it's being used in an extremely stupid way. How is it normal to check whether something happened inside or outside the box and not whether or not it was a foul? It's as if the league is trying to turn everyone against VAR so they can go back to not using it.

How is it so difficult to have a system where a ref in the VAR room could suggest to the ref on the pitch that something needs to be checked in case something was missed and then ref on the pitch reviews it on the screen and decides whether some actions should be taken or not?

Even without the Villa game, we're letting in far too many goals. Remember the good old days when we used to get clean sheets sometimes? And most of those goals were conceded before VVD got injured too.

Hopefully once Thiago is settled in, and if he can stay fit, we'll be able to control games a little better. Teams just seem to run straight through us these days.

9 hours ago, baxus said:

Why would we take one league game out when talking about defensive record in the league?

I agree, that Liverpool have looked a bit more dodgey defensively this year (I mentioned VVD not looking too great this season before, that was during or after the Arsenal game, IIRC, I agree on something with Soylent). However, the statement worst defense in the league, implies that Liverpool have leaked goals left and right this season. And that's not really true, when literally half of those conceded goals come from one game.

Besides the season has also not gone off the rails for Liverpool, thus far. They are very close to the top spot, while their natural rivals for the title (City, maybe Chelsea), have struggled a bit, or in City's case, quite a bit more this early in the season; I am not even bothering with United. Villa or Everton won't win the league.

Well, Liverpool defense has been leaking goals left and right this season.

This season Liverpool have managed 3 clean sheets in 10 games and 1 more in 3 matches during pre-season. That is definitely not at the level of previous two seasons and is something that needs to improve if Liverpool are to defend the title.

10 minutes ago, baxus said:

Well, Liverpool defense has been leaking goals left and right this season.

This season Liverpool have managed 3 clean sheets in 10 games and 1 more in 3 matches during pre-season. That is definitely not at the level of previous two seasons and is something that needs to improve if Liverpool are to defend the title.

I think if you look at the stats in the 18/19 season Liv conceded the second least big chances, 19/20 it was sixth least and this season (obvs small sample size) 3rd worst. Course you are factoring in that freak Villa result and last season they were much worse after they'd won the title, but maybe it is a trend. Certainly watching Liverpool this season I've never felt confident in their defending and even VVD was having a number of brainfarts. 

Reports emerging that Bartomeu and his board have tendered their resignations. The vote of no confidence was scheduled to take place on the 1st and 2nd November. Bartomeu has been trying without success to have the vote delayed by petitioning the local government to force a delay citing health and safety concerns since, according to the club's statutes, voting has to take place in person. Yesterday, he was informed by the Catalan government that the vote must take place and that the health ministry will ensure the safety of the voters.

Lots of rotation for Liverpool tonight with Minamino, Jota, Origi, Shaqiri and Milner all starting.  Rotation is just necessary with the compressed season but I hope we aren’t too disjointed.

This Danish team lost 4-0 to Atalanta but they were a lot more competitive than the scoreline suggests. 

It looks like a hamstring. The way they were moving him, I don't think it looked too bad, but it'll still probably be a couple of weeks.

Pretty much everyone bar TAA has been poor so far. We could really do with killing their spirit with a couple of goals so we have an easier ride in the second half.

Archived